Target Distribution Centers, live unloads, what is their major malfunction?!?!?

Discussion in 'Shippers & Receivers - Good or Bad' started by loose_leafs, Nov 7, 2014.

1. Tmcwho

Tmcwho Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2021
    Boycott All Targets,. This is ridiculous!

silverspur Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. C trucking

C trucking Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2022
    I was at target in lake city last night my appointment was at 4:30 I got there at 3:30 pm they put me in the door 10:00 I got the green light and a text message saying u are good to go unbelievable I don’t understand why they don’t do something different every time I go there and we go there a lot this happens we have to be in line 4 while they are unloading the trailer so every time I’m out of drive time when I leave there something should be done

4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You mean something like not going back there? If it happens every time that means you have no one to blame but yourself.
    Someone once said "To keep doing the same thing and expect different results is the definition of insanity."

5. #1 Kenworth

#1 Kenworth Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    New England
    Going back years ago 78/79 I unloaded trailers at the K Mart store It was on the floor and we had to pick up the box call off the box number and stack it on a pallet. Upwards of 1500+ boxes of asst merchandise. If we went over 4 hours, the drivers would call the DC and tell them why we were taking so long Some drivers helped some didn't. I don't understand why it has to take any more than a hour to unload a palletized load?

6. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    Because they count it as it comes off and then has to be recounted while being repalletized for verification and damage checks. And then, their little hand held devices are slooooooow because they're usually a minimum of 10 year old technology. Lookiin' at you, Walmart...

Finally, they have to find a place for the stuff offloaded, which can cause delays of hours. Lookin' at any given grocery warehouse for that....

Where lumpers are required, they aren't motivated to move fast due to low pay. Unlike the old days when an indie on any dock could do it faster and better (one guy) for a lot more per load. In the 1990's, I used to be a bit jealous of their $600 days for working only 8 hours total.

gentleroger and The Railsplitter Thank this.
  7. TheLoadOut

TheLoadOut Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2019
    Keep delivering to places like this and nothing will change. When they can't get their stuff they'll be forced to make a change.

8. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I worked for the Target DC in Woodland, Ca in the early 90s. Worked in receiving. They would tell the drivers that the freight rate they paid included the driver assisting unloading. True or not, I don't know, but I doubt it. Then when the driver wanted us to sign saying driver unload, we weren't allowed to sign it. Every now and then a driver would just sit there a refuse to help. I didn't care as I usually could get it done right the first time without their help. But I have seen a truck sit there all day and still be only part done when I went home. I took a leave of absence from there in 1993 and never could bring myself to go back. Haven't been in one of their stores since either.

9. mwonch

mwonch Light Load Member

Dec 3, 2014
    San Antonio, TX
    So, they require Driver Assist, then refuse to sign to show it was Driver Assist? Hopefully that's changed.

10. djsinco

djsinco Bobtail Member

Mar 10, 2013
    I delivered to the Woodland Target D/C in the early 1990's. I remember delivering the day before Christmas. we had to wait either 15 or 30 minutes for the employees to do yoga or stretching exercises or something before unloading could begin.

Also was memorable because no backhaul freight was available. Was told to DH back to Denver, and 80 was a solid sheet of ice from about Nyack to Cheyenne.

I ended up having to take 99/58/40, which is quite a detour...

11. Knightcrawler

Knightcrawler Heavy Load Member

Apr 10, 2017
    Mpls, Mn oops Ocala, Fl.
    I was looking for a load from near Cleveland (unloaded friday night) going somewhere around Indy for a weekend pickup/unload. I had a pickup first thing monday morning in Indy and figured if I didnt have to deadhead, great.

Found a load going to Ft. Wayne that loaded near me and I said great, but it was a monday am unload, which was fine, it was early enough that I could still make the 2 hour drive down, but I would only have a 2 hour window to unload in. Wont be a problem says the broker. Ok. I'll take it.

Super Valu.

Nope, cant do it I said. Well you agreed says broker. I didnt know it was Super Valu. No way are they going to get me off in 2 hours.

Piss and moan back and forth and I just finally hung up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.