Tarping

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. drivenmecrazy

drivenmecrazy Light Load Member

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    Thanks. So whats the correct way to roll a tarp? I imagine you fold the sides in and roll from back to front. Let me know, you really sound like someone with a brain I like to pick.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY
    I always rolled mine 1/3 in from each side and then in half twice to form a strip about 2 or 3 feet wide. Then I took the strip and almost folded that in half and then rolled it up from the folded end.

I know I probably confused you to no end. Its easy to do, and would be so simple to show some one, but its really tough to tell about it.

cpassey Thanks this.
  4. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    Man, ever since this post, all I've had is tarp loads, I am sitting at allied in chic, and will be tarping thid one too, thats ok though when this week is done I will be around 3000 with 3 tarp jobs, only bummer I have been sitting here waiting since 1130 and it is 1900 now, whatever never been in chicago b4 so I will not complain and this load is going to New york to my term and I am heading home till the 28th.
    Merry Christmas.

5. drivenmecrazy

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    OK Brickman, let me see if I understand. Fold 1/3 in from each side. Then fold in half twice from the side to form a strip about 2 or 3 feet wide. Then take the strip and fold that in half length wise, roll it up from the folded end. Sounds good. This will sound stupid but do you do this on the ground or the trailer?

6. broncrider

broncrider Road Train Member

do it on the ground

the way i do it is similair to bricks...i know becuase i have his old tarps...lol

lay it out flat...fold end in on tarp...fold sides to center..then half the sides twice more...fold two (now thin)sides, one on top of other...fold open end 3/4 way to the end with the flap...roll from folded end

ok basicily...lay out flat (d-rings up), fold in end, fold sides to center 3 times each, fold one side over the other, fold lenth in 3/4 and roll....thats sounds simplier than the way i first explained it, and you end up with a rolled tarp about 18 inches wide by about 24 inches and is easily strapped to the deck or stuffed in a side box

cpassey Thanks this.
  7. slick50

slick50 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2006
    McKinney, Texas
    Just saw your post; I can help until Brickman shows up. Roll it on the ground and wrap a bungee around it to hold it together. If you do it nice and neat the entire package will be smooth, not a big mess. To pick it up, lift one end and place your knee under that end, then you can pick it up easier (one hand one each end). I fold my steel tarps (4' drops) in thirds, but I fold my lumber tarps (8' drops) in halves (fold to center, then again, then fold over, then in half, then roll). That way my tarps are all they same size and can fit where I store them. You do what works for you.
    Uh, one more thing. You know to tarp from the back first? right?

cpassey Thanks this.
  8. drivenmecrazy

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    KD5DRX-Well that was an error. I have 4 years Fb dbls, 2 years refer, 1 year dry van and about 2 years log truck.

9. drivenmecrazy

Dec 5, 2007
    Oregon
    You know to tarp from the back first? right? No I would have tarped from the front. Tell me about this. #### there's a lot I don't know.

10. j-mac

j-mac Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Greenville, S.C.

Crazy, I drove Dump Trailer for about 15 years before I found myself looking, and ended up driving FB. I have been doing it for about 3 weeks now and here is what I have learned so far.

a. You tarp from back first so that the front tarp forms a wind foil.
    b. Once you have your back tarp rolled out over the load, get down and bungie the forward D-rings forward with two bungies to hold the tarp in place. Also place a few bungies down the sides, not pretty mind you, but just to hold it.
    c. Get back up and roll out the front tarp, overlapping the back one by at least a foot.
    d. Now get down and start bungieing the tarps from the sides first so that you can work with the front and back easier. To do this I start at the front pass side and start to roll the tarp under until it is above the rub rail, and bungie off every third D-ring on both sides til I get to the middle. Then I go back to where I started and hit every d-ring and bungie them down. Then I go to the center where the tarps overlap, and roll both tarps together tightly and tighten the bungies that I started with, and place two more securing the overlap on both sides. Then do the back tarp the same way you did the front,
    e. Now you have the front and back of the tarp. If you are using Lumber Tarps you will have a flap that drops over both ends. That makes it easy. In the front the sides are bungied together first, with the flap over that, and secured down. And in the back it is the opposite.
    If they are steel tarps you wrap like a Christmas present. But keep in mind the say wind flows over your truck. You want the wind to flow without catching, or getting under the tarps. So in the front your folds flow back, and in the back it is just like wrapping a box..Or, if the load is low, like steel plating for example you can get away with tenting the tarp. That is folding the sides under and laying a piece of dunnage over the front and straping it down, and in the rear bunging off the rear to the back.

Everyone else is right in their advice on folding them up. It is all in how you like them. I hate getting someone elses tarps. They are never folded like I like them. And for goodness sakes be careful on top of the loads. I picked up some partical board a couple of weeks ago, and was on top of the load tarping, and fell through a gap in the stacks. I wrenched my wrist so bad I thought for sure it was broken. Luckly it wasn't, but I ended up loosing two loads because I had to sit idle in a truck stop and keep ice on it so I could continue to finish the week. It still doesn't feel exactly right, but it's getting better. All that because I was in a hurry, and not paying attention on top of the load.

Hope this helps, and I would be glad to answer any questions you have.

j-mac

Scrumdog, searay and cpassey Thank this.
  11. spankie

spankie Light Load Member

Dec 9, 2007
    Ohio
    All I can say is wow!!! When I was forced to change careers my wife asked me, what kind of truck do I want to drive?? I knew what she meant and told her it won't be FLATBEDDING or CAR HAULING. I don't think I could handle either one. More power to you guys you deserve the extra money that might come with it. Good luck to all and drive safe HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.