Tarping

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by drivenmecrazy, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

MOST of the time on the ground its a lot easier and less chance of falling off and busting your ### or your head. How ever I have done it on top of a load. Just imagine for a second what your tarp would look and smell like if you roll into a dairy farm with a load of hay and try to roll up the tarp on the ground in the mud and cow poo :biggrin_2552: :biggrin_2552: :biggrin_2552: Or the mud of a construction job site.
    Rolling one up on the load is much more work, but some times very necessary.

Great post J with lots of detail. Very important advice on tarping the back half first and then the front over lapping the back tarp with the front one!!!!!
    I'm glad you didn't break your wrist, that would really suck.

I did flat for over 3 yrs and am currently hauling cars. Trust me it is not that bad.

Some more advice for those just starting. When the fork lift is loading or unloading your trailer STAY THE HELL AWAY FROM IT!!!!! Even if the lift is working on the opposite side of you they can push the load and have it fall on you. I met a driver that got busted up really bad from a bunk of lumber falling on him, the lift was on the other side and pushed a bunk off the far side of the trailer.

cpassey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    Yep for sure, years back I was having a load of 4" pvc pipe unloaded, it was freezing and a lift of 20 footers fell off the top from the fork hitting it from the other side, the pipe was so cold it shattered and blew a piece into my lower back about 15" long, I could feel the blood pouring down my pant leg. I ended up with 48 stitches, and put up in the hosp for 2 nights, always watch what is going on when being unloaded.

cpassey Thanks this.
  4. Etosha

Etosha World Citizen

Aug 19, 2007
    Edmonton, AB
    Wow, Doma, that had to have hurt! Ouch. Good advice.
    I know a guy doing oilfield hauling here, who had a deck of drill pipe spill off the deck while they were unloading, and one pipe went through his stomach. He is unbelievably lucky to still be alive, and he is back out working now. Other truckers on site who witnessed the accident say that if had he ducked under the trailer he might have avoided injury. Not sure if anyone has had a similar experience? :biggrin_2554:

5. j-mac

j-mac Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Greenville, S.C.

Yeah, I am still awfully new at it. And it does take me quite a while to tarp. I think I try and pull too hard on the bungies when doing it one side then the other. But I like tight tarps...The wind on the road is a real b***h. And with tight tarps you can keep a better eye on what the load is doing while driving. I hope like heck I can get down to 35 to 45 min. tarping a load, so far it takes me over an hour.

Yeah it would...It was funny, because when it first happened I finished tarping, and started out of there. Then within a few miles it started swelling up, and hurt so bad I was steering, and shifting with only my left hand. I sent shooting pain up my arm to even push, or pull the split button. I didn't want to being new, but I had to call safety, and go to the hospital. When I got there they wern't busy so I got right in, and when the doc started to look at the wrist, he did something and I swear I blacked out from the pain, next thing I remember was that I was being helped into a wheelchair to get it x-rayed. God it was horrible! I never want to go through that again.

On a brighter note though, I thought that this paycheck would stink becuase of handing off the load, and losing a whole day in the truck stop nursing my injury, but they paid me for part of the load, and even gave me the NYC combat pay even though I didn't go in there...They really saved my chestnuts for Christmas with that......:biggrin_255:

Great advice Brick. Fork operators get in a hurry too. I usually try and stand near the front of the truck, where the operator can see me at all times.....

j-mac

cpassey Thanks this.
  6. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    I miss my teledyne, I unloaded, and after a few years on it You get real good at it, I use to unload my self in no time, The other coolthing was when I would get stopped In CT at the scales for being over on an axle they will give You a chance to fix it, more than once I dropped that fork lift and moved a load around to pass a scale.. WE should all get one for christmas...:biggrin_255:

7. Brickman

Brickman Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 17, 2006
    WY

I liked tight tarps too. I couldn't stand to see a big pocket blowing around, plus that is hard on your tarps and when you are the one paying to fix them you try to be even more careful. :D

Bungee your corners and then about 3 or 4 places down each side and then when you start at one corner and go all the way around your tarp isn't sliding and you should still get a good fit.
    Its all with practice.

A little story on loading times, back in Sept when I first started hauling cars (after a good 5 yr break) it would take me an hr and a half to load 6 cars. Now I can load as many as 7 in 45 mins. Unload as fast as 20 mins.

cpassey Thanks this.
  8. newbiewannadoitright

newbiewannadoitright "Right Wing Nut Job"

Sep 26, 2007
    Cajun Land
    WHEW!!! Now, could you explain the Blue Lines on a Hockey rink?:biggrin_25525:

9. Doma

Doma Light Load Member

Sep 19, 2007
    MA
    Brickman, yeah You guy's are impressive that is for sure, there was a car hauling company, in the yard where our bussiness was and I use to watch you guys do your thing, quite a bit involved that is for sure, every so often there would be a car in the garage that hit a bridge, they must loosen up a bit, sometimes and gain a little height, but this company hauls some nice cars, they do it for the patriots, and a high end dealer in the area, so some nice rides come through, Maybachs and killer beemers,, people that own that company were real nice too, big operation, they use allot of thoes pickups with trailers to do locals. Then have a couple of petes to do coast to coast stuff.

10. ForeverFreeW900

ForeverFreeW900 Light Load Member

Aug 7, 2006
    Connecticut
    Hey Doma,

I was just wondering if you were talking about a Tail Gator fork lift, I was a little bit confused:biggrin_255:. Thats cool that CT would allow ya to do that i never hear anything about CT doing that maybe they have a change in heart.

Have a Merry Christmas:yes2557:

11. j-mac

j-mac Light Load Member

Aug 14, 2007
    Greenville, S.C.

:biggrin_2559: No way man! Hockey and LaCross confuse me....:biggrin_25523:

j-mac

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.