Tax deductions for company OTR truck drivers?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Rayzala, Aug 3, 2020.

1. kaf

kaf Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Montreal Canada

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. REALITY098765

REALITY098765 Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2017
    quote [The owners operators are different story and thay can claim not only meals and showers but, everything as pencils, kleenex ETC]

Afaik ,company drivers can claim an exemption for every thing you need to do your job. Including boots, showers, parking, faxs, motels, at 100% etc, Pretty much anything you need to create income that you pay tax on. You will need receipts tho.
    Meals are done differently but are deductible.

Now independent contractors are a whole other boondogle.

4. Ol'Shusquatch

Ol'Shusquatch Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    BC Interior
    For myself this is the best and easiest way. I do not have a physical requirement that needs to consume a large volume of grub on the road, three times a day.
    So I think I am probably getting net gain doing it this way and saving a whole lot of hassle/paper work.

5. kaf

kaf Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Montreal Canada

6. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    If your company pays for anything Then no YOU cannot
    claim it but the company does. IE no double dipping. Same thing if your company gives you cash for layovers, that has to be declared.

Your cell is not business related in your case so no.
    Where does it state you have to use sleeper birth?
    I have always claimed motels that I paid for out of pocket. That;s why the line was on the meal form but again you need receipts.
    Any thing related to creating revenue but not compensated for is deductible
    No, I am not an expert but sounds like you were getting paid for incidentals and also claiming them. That would be a no=no

Sounds like you need a better accountant.

Simply put- Anything that is compensated for by the company is not deductible by the driver but is for the company.

Any thing that is out of pocket of the driver and not compensated for and related to work is deductible.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2020
  7. kaf

kaf Light Load Member

Sep 21, 2011
    Montreal Canada
    Hello Reality098765
    I strongly agree with you, my posts are mixed up (or I did )
    This is a portion of my original post
    I'm a company driver and used to claim everything but this is was wrong. I was called by the Revenue Agency and had to correct my forms. As a company driver, you can only claim your meals and showers. Your company pays for faxes, motels. If you decide to go to the motel on your own and you have sleeper, you can't claim it. I'm absolutely not telling you anything, you can claim what you want. I was in shock when I was told by my company that I can't claim my phone spending. I was told that I have a company tablet and can use it to communicate. Just from my experience

8. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    Again, as a company driver you can claim ''business'' expenses but not if the company pays for them.
    Not all companies pay for everything.
    I believe your company said they do not pay for a motel if you are in a sleeper but that has nothing to do .with CRA Please site regs [maybe things have changed].
    It seems you are confusing company benefits with CRA deductions.
    YOUR private phone is not a write off. Your work phone is.

9. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    I got audited on the meals etc before we had log books, bit of a pain having to write down every date and trip but was well worth it. Wrote all the info on both sides of a paper bag. I think the red flag got raised as it was my first time claiming these deductions, no issues since. Now I just hang onto my logs for 7 years and have accountant with very sharp pencil.

Its unfortunate we cannot deduct our private cell phone considering much of its use is job related.

10. REALITY098765

Sep 17, 2017
    You can write off the business portion use of your private phone.
    If your company provides you with a tablet, then no

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.