Tax Home vs. Residence Home

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by jerry_c, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jerry_c

jerry_c Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    I've seen a lot of confusing info on the Internet about tax homes and residence homes for truckers. Hopefully, this thread can clear the subject.

They are each important for two distinct, but very important tax issues.

1. Your per diems are based upon your tax home.
    2. Your state income taxes are based upon your residence home.
    What is your tax home? If you're a company driver or an OO working out of one main terminal, this is easy. It's your main terminal. Otherwise, if you're an OO with a business address, that's your tax home.

If you don't have a business tax home (very few truckers fit this), then your residence is usually your tax home. (There are some exceptions.)

Here's the glitch: if you don't have a business tax home or a residence, you are considered a transient, and can't qualify for per diems. The easiest way around that is to find someplace to call your business headquarters.

Buzzard2157 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Roadmedic

Roadmedic Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2007
    The key to consider for most on this forum is shown in the one comment in your post.

The majority of the truck drivers here are tied to their homes. In addition, most are over the road drivers who do not operate out of terminals. Just because you work for a company, say in Salt Lake City where their main terminal is does not make it your tax home. You are not working in the one location.

4. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Roadmedic, I'm glad we're discussing this, because it is an area with a lot of confusion.

Here's how I read it. If your main terminal where you get your loads dispatched, get your pay, etc., it doesn't matter that you travel all over the country. The IRS will consider that your tax home.

That means you can't take per diems while you are at your main terminal, but you might be able to at home (under certain conditions).

I'll dig up some references on this and post them later.

I'll also flag this one for [THREAD=120444]Mr. Brown[/THREAD]. Hopefully, he can post something soon on it.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    The key here is that the main terminal is not where you get all of your loads when you are OTR.

If what you believe was actually a fact, then no company would withhold income taxes for any other state. They would only withhold tax based on the location of the terminal.

Many people work for Swift and never see the main terminal located in Phoenix. They might see sub terminals in other states, but not the home location.

I have posted the link on what constitutes a tax home in the eyes of the IRS. You can also follow down and see an example of the terminal so to speak for the worker who works away from the tax home.

This is a tough issue and I expect as times get harder and the money tighter at the federal level, we will see an increase in the audits like we did during the 80's. IRS was extremely interested in such issues back then. Especially since it could raise the tax due with a simple single stroke.

6. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    I misstated. I meant where you get your load assignments or bookings, not the actual loads. If you get your loads booked out of one main terminal, that's your tax home. This would apply to company drivers and OO's.

Again, withholding is based upon residence home, and per diems are based upon tax home, which are based upon entirely different factors. For some drivers they are the same. There is a lot of confusion on this subject.

Using Swift as an example, if the drivers' dispatch is in Phoenix, that's their tax home. If their dispatch is at another Swift terminal, that's their tax home. When I was on the road, I was officially moved from one terminal to another, as far as where I reported. My driving area was still all 48 states, but my tax home changed to where I was then dispatched from.

Yes, and there's more, and I will dig it out later and post it. Even on that link, however, the primary business location takes precedence over the residence location.

The IRS is always interested in this one, and, yes, it is a tough issue. I think we'll get more clarity as we discuss it. Thanks for your valuable input, Roadmedic. You always keep me thinking.

Best,

7. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    I will have to disagree with you concerning the tax home and the otr terminals.

The tax home for the OTR driver would be the residence.

8. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Well, we've clearly established that this is a confusing area.

I'll do some research and post more later.

9. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    I found this example right in the link you posted, IRS Publication 463.

Here's a driver who makes long runs (sure sounds like OTR), based out of a terminal in Phoenix. The IRS says Phoenix, the place of his home terminal, is his tax home, not the place of his residence.

I know when I was on the road, my company definitely considered where my dispatcher was to be my home terminal, and when I got a different dispatcher in a different terminal, my home terminal moved.

Home terminal is a term the IRS uses in determining tax home. It's considered your "post of duty" another term it uses to determine your main place of business.

I know I read more, and I'll keep digging.

Best,

Jerry

10. Roadmedic

Apr 4, 2007
    This example reminds me more of the ltl operations that run from a terminal.

If you read it, it says returns to Phoenix and spends one night. It leads me to believe it that way rather than OTR. OTR driver would not have stayed there, but went home.

It is a confusing issue, but I have as yet figured out why it would matter.

Tax is paid where you live, not the tax home. So, why would it matter?

The tax home as the residence would still generate the per diem.

11. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Here's a quote from Jackson Hewitt. They're not the IRS, but certainly respectable in the tax field.

If this would apply to an OO, it would also apply to a company driver.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.