Tax Home vs. Residence Home

Discussion in 'Trucker Taxes and Truck Financing' started by jerry_c, Sep 17, 2010.

1. jerry_c

jerry_c Light Load Member

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Home time per diems is another subject so, I opened [thread=121931]another thread[/thread] on it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. AlvinBrown

AlvinBrown Bobtail Member

Sep 1, 2010
    Fairfax, VA
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Question Posed[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]

The question posed is:
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]What is the tax home for an over the road truck driver based out of a home terminal? [/FONT]​
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Based out of a home terminal [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]means that the driver regularly gets his load assignments from, and reports to dispatchers at, that terminal. He may also report his hours of service logs there.

One variable raised would be how often the driver shows up at that home terminal, ranging from as often as several times a week to as seldom as only a few times per year. Another variable is that he could either be a company driver or an owner operator contracted primarily to that one company.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Case Law[/FONT]
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]
    This issue has been well settled since 1954. Revenue Ruling 54-497 (1954-2 C.B. 75, 77) concluded that railroad employees'
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]post of duty[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] is not aboard the train, but at the terminal.[/FONT]
    The 9
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]th[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] circuit Court, in [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Folkman v. U.S.,[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] 615 F.2d 493 (1980), in a case about the tax homes for airline pilots, concluded "that each taxpayer's tax home was his airline duty base."[/FONT]
    Just last year, the 7
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]th[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] Circuit, in [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Wilbert v. Commissioner,[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] 553 F.3d 544, quoting [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Andrews v. Commissioner,[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] 931 F.2d 132 (1stCir. 1991), stated:[/FONT]
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]There is no case law to support the idea that the tax home for a truck driver with a "home terminal" would be at his residence.[/FONT]

[FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Analysis[/FONT]

[FONT=verdana, sans-serif]There is a significant pay differential between airline pilots and truck drivers. Also, train workers and and pilots usually get paid based upon time, whereas over the road truck drivers are mostly paid by the mile. There are some other differences in the occupations as well. Nonetheless, none of these differences in the occupations would have any bearing on the tax home issue.[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]
    [/FONT]
    [FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]Just as railroad employees' "post of duty" is not aboard the train, the "post of duty" for a truck driver with a home terminal is not in the truck.[/FONT]
    Conclusion
    [/FONT]
    The tax home for a truck driver with a
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]home terminal[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] would be his [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]post of duty[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]"[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] ' his home terminal.[/FONT]
    Effects of Variables Posed
    [/FONT]
    Generally, it would make no difference how often the driver were to show up at his home terminal. His reporting to that terminal makes it his
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]post of duty[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] and, therefore, his tax home.[/FONT]
    It makes no difference whether the driver is an employee or an independent contractor. In either case, the home terminal is his
    [/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif]main place of business[/FONT][FONT=DejaVu Sans, sans-serif] and, therefore, his tax home.[/FONT]
    If You Get Audited
    [/FONT]
    The authority cited above can be given to the IRS if you are examined (audited). Most IRS examiners (auditors) are not tax attorneys who research tax law. However, they do know how to check with legal experts within the IRS to confirm what the law is, if you point it out to them. You can even give them a link to this post.

[/FONT]

Last edited: Oct 28, 2010
  4. Hardlyevr

Hardlyevr Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Mapleton Depot,PA
    I sure as heck hope that my "tax home" of Wisconsin doesn't want any money from me, as I pay all my state and local taxes where my mortgaged home is, Pennsylvania!

5. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Like I said in the first post on this thread:

Your tax home and your residence home can be the same, and for people who go home from work most every night, they mostly are. For OTR truckers, though, they are often different.

The IRS often redefines words to have meanings that are different than most of us would use. That adds to the confusion.

6. blackw900

blackw900 The Grandfather of Flatbed

Jul 12, 2009
    A.W.O.L
    I was considering the "Truckers Home Base" thing for a minute and I ran the idea by my accountant who is a practicing tax attorney, He made some inquiries and has suggested that it's a very bad idea and that I should look into something a little more "realistic".

He looked at the website and just laughed and said, "Great way to set yourself up for problems with the IRS!"

I spoke on the phone with this guy Jerry that is setting up this "Truckers Home Base" and wasn't impressed at all with the whole operation.
    It smells like a scam to me!

I like Tennessee and I'm gonna relocate there, But I'm gonna stay FAR AWAY from this deal!

Roadmedic Thanks this.
  7. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    Dear Blackw900,

Your post is off topic to this thread, but since you have slammed me and my business here, I will address it here.

I don't know what kind of qualifications your practicing tax attorney has. Mine worked for the IRS General Counsel Office for over 25 years and rose the level where he could sign new tax regulations into existence on his own signature. Very few people other than the IRS Commissioners ever get such authority.

I have no idea what he's talking about. The IRS doesn't give a rat's behind about your state income taxes.

Edit: OK, I could see how your attorney might see this as a problem for you. If you're really living in some other state and were thinking about trying to claim your residence was at Truckers Home Base, then you could have problems with the state tax authorities where you really live (but not the IRS). We make that plain on our website, and it's clearly spelled out in the legal opinion. Truckers Home Base is not for truckers who really live in states with state income taxes. It's for truckers who mostly live out of their trucks.

Truckers Home Base is designed to be functional, not to impress. If it were a scam, it would be more impressive than being at the back of a truck stop.

I sure would like to speak with your attorney.

Please forward him this post.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
  8. celticwolf

celticwolf Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Kittrell, NC
    As a computer consultant I often found myself working at locations away from my residence.

My CPA daughter-in-law and friend who is a tax lawyer told me the same thing.

I can not claim expenses related to travel to an from my primary work location no matter where I personally lived; however, if my primary work location required me to work say 5 miles down the road I could claim expenses as if I had traveled from my primary work location to that location down the road and back. In the same regard you cannot claim expenses from your residence to a place 5 miles from your work location. I could only claim expenses on that five miles and back to my work location.Which also doesn't meet the per diem criteria.

IRS doesn't care where you reside in relation to where you "work" unless you try to claim expense traveling to and from "work" from your "residence"

For the record the IRS tax codes are a whole lot thicker than the FMCSA codes and rules and a 1000 times more confusing..

9. alishviperswifey

alishviperswifey Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2010
    san antonio tx
    ok im sooooooooooo confused so how does it work ...

my hubby works for s.t and we live in san antonio tx but the company is based out of dallas so since our state is the same as our company and home state than how do we do the pier diem tax thingy

10. jerry_c

Feb 6, 2010
    Cookeville TN
    He almost exactly follows the pattern of Example 1 from IRS Publication 463 only you will have to change the city names, and Dallas will be the tax home.

[post=1578748]Mr. Brown's legal opinion[/post] will lead you to the same conclusion.

Others on this thread have disagreed, but they have shown no legal authority to back up their positions. The strongest thing they have back it up with are statements to the effect of "we've always done it this way." Which leads to another point: not even all IRS people know all the rules, and sometimes you can get away with things. However, I'd suggest following what the IRS says.

I hope this helps.

Best,

11. Admin

Admin TTR Forum Owner Staff Member Administrator

Apr 6, 2009
    To clarify, I asked Dave'sgrl to elaborate on which regulations she thinks drivers would be violating if they followed jerry_c's advice. It would be a much greater benefit to the site's users to see reasoned explanation and debate, rather than comments designed to instigate fights. I hope Dave'sgrl will reconsider and share her knowledge with the community. At her request, the comments will be deleted.

Roadmedic and jerry_c Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.