Taxes: Can I do better with my own rig?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by feldsforever, Jan 5, 2020.

1. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    You have 100% direct customer?

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Yep, there is no free lunch.

Dino soar and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    That's a pretty good employee check for the week. I'm sure they are not always that good but if it is an easy job that doesn't p*ss you off too much I would not be in too big of a hurry to leave. Save your money and pay cash for a good truck when the time is right but I would not be in a huge hurry to jump into that one. Especially if you are talking dry van it will be a grind once the novelty wears off and some untimely repair bills and delays trip you up. There is a certain lack of stress just being a company driver sometimes.

5. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    At crude truckin. I don't have the nuts to carry half of what you listed. But hood for you money wise

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Ya know I picked on that mentally for so many years.

Running a load of butter to Hunts then beat around the NE after reloading from hell again in Baltimore. 25% of whatever the truck made.

One week we did 3000 to the truck. This is late 80's money a high point. A time of smiles and parties all around the company from Pappy on down. We were 7 trucks then. So... My check that friday was a nice hefty 600 and a dallop besides.

Fuel was about 1200. Paid for trucks. But land and shop and office bills, electricity, taxes. More taxes. Maybe a tire somewhere.

All that joy that friday that week was like a new barn built only to see the termites of bills eating at it from inside out.

Im happy to have 600. Thats 5 weeks running money. What do I do with all this tonight? Its not good to have such riches. Ive been there before with another company. But listening to Pappy saying hes sitting on a couple grand tonight... For the feeding of his family at home it did not seem like much. Vs that 1200 fuel bill. Never mind the tolls. (about 180)

I waved the tolls away. Big deal.

Next week? HA... feast and famine. That was a tough week. Night and day. Lessons to be learned. Family and home is last, everything goes to the truck first.

Not natural me thinks but it's business, a form of making a living with whats left over from your work which hopefully is profitable when people are demanding Butter or meat or produce into Hunts Point. Because NYC HAS money to buy all that.

When they don't? We don't get loads there. There is no reason to. People might demand it again next week. Ups and downs.

7. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    ever-talk-to-someone-so-stupid-that-they-make-you-7679652.png

8. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    No balls needed, lol. Just gotta think before you act. I originally started at this company on 05, I was 21 going on 22. The guy that taught me to drive starting at 15, parked in his shop. So he knew me already, and knows the guy that taught me to drive. So he gave me a chance. I worked here from 05 to 09, left on good terms for the oilfield. Then in November of 16, he called me and asked if I wanted my job back, promising me I wouldn't be disappointed. And I'm not. So I guess what I'm saying is I got into chemicals and smooth bore tankers relatively early in life, so it doesn't bother me. I'm aware of what I haul, very much so. But I learned to respect it early.

Dino soar, feldsforever and slim shady Thank this.
  9. PE_T

PE_T Road Train Member

Over 100k is impressive for employees, but not so much for business owners.

86scotty and Crude Truckin' Thank this.
  10. Crude Truckin'

Crude Truckin' Alien Spacecraft

Oct 22, 2016
    North Dakota, Eh?
    I was just showing that company drivers can make good money.

S.V.Buyck, Dino soar, JonJon78 and 3 others Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    This is a little bit of part two.

I have been pondering what money for a day.

Let's say Poohbah Foods wants Shedds Butter at 2.00 pound shipped 49500 pounds to them on 48 pallets double stacked to Hunts Cooperative Food facility or cold storage. Due monday am.

2 dollars a pound over 49500 total would be about 99,000 dollars in value. Obviously Mr Poohbah has bought and paid Shedds in Baltimore 99,000 dollars for that butter. And now find a trucking company to haul it for a middling fee. 250 miles, call it drayage in the old style. Maybe 750 dollars to the trucking company for overnight next morning delivery driver unload.

Tolls not much, fuel next to nothing reefer fees tossed in and driver paid very little. 25% of 750 190 dollars gross to driver.

100,000 dollars in butter. Enough for around 45 thousand people in NYC that want it out of a total of 10 million.

Now Mr Poobah has a new problem. Everyone is calling him for dat butter.

He wants more trucks. And hes going to get them.

The butter eventually gets tossed onto the walmart shelf or whatever by a young minimum wage stocker with issues in everything in life not wanting to be there. Maybe the butter gets damaged here there.

So Poohbah sells butter at a profit to NYC People count money for him and people spend it on tomorrows Butter trucks for loading today and Shedds where the butter comes from continues to crank out more butter and rake in the profits. Minus a zero cut to uncle sam with all the losses in production.

Two people two companies decide the Nation. If NYC wants butter, they call Baltimore and other places and the trucks start for Hunts Point that day. Takes a great deal of money.

This is why I never listen to the markets. All that money. Its not our money and we have a SNAP card to go buy that 2.00 pound of butter.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.