Taxes, driving empty/deadhead

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by White_lightning1983, Jan 28, 2020.

1. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    every mile the truck moves

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. White_lightning1983

White_lightning1983 Light Load Member

Aug 1, 2019
    Even if not under a load? On personal conveyance? That seems harsh.

4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Trucks moves YOU PAY

npok Thanks this.
  5. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    There’s not many other ways to say it other than what’s been said. If the truck moves loaded or empty you pay. If you’re an owner you need to learn this stuff or you’ll have a long road ahead.

roshea, npok and flood Thank this.
  6. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    It's simple you pay for all the fuel you burn in each state. The more fuel you burn the more you pay. Just like a car you pay at the pump when you buy the fuel. Then you have to tell IFTA how many miles you drove in each state and how much fuel you purchased. Then the will send you fuel tax money you paid for at the pump to the states you drove your truck in.

PE_T and White_lightning1983 Thank this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If you drive a truck getting 5.5 MPG you will pay more taxes then a truck getting 7.5 MPG. Because you burn more fuel in each state.

PE_T and flood Thank this.
  8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    What's harsh, this is a business.

Coffey, roshea, npok and 1 other person Thank this.
  9. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    If someone wants the best price on fuel or paying the best taxes on IFTA. You have know difference states have different tax rate on the fuel you buy. You can probably find a list online for each state diesel fuel tax. Oklahoma had a low fuel tax. So if you buy all you fuel in Oklahoma the tax is not enough to over the other states you drive in. So you will owe taxes. If you buy all you fuel in Illinois you probably get mo ey back because the have high tax rate.

So to get best deal on fuel and don't worry about the tax you want the cheapest diesel you can buy. You take the price of diesel in a state then subtract the state diesel tax rate per gallon. That gives you the real price of the diesel. So you do that for a couple states and you can now see what state have the best price.

Oklahoma used to be a good buy. Because the diesel is cheap. The tax rate low but that's ok. Illinois was a good buy because that tax was so high, the diesel price per gallon was low and you got a lot tax credit. Texas was a good buy. California was a bad price. Washington state was really bad. CT and Mass not good buy. Ohio is good buy.

If your in California going thru Texas. Just buy like 100 gallon or enough to fuel to reach Texas. Then fill up in Texas. If your in Ohio going to CT or Mass you fill up in Ohio even if you don't need fuel. Since it's the cheapest along that route. Then once in CT or Mass just buy 50 gallons to get back out or 75 gallons. You just don't want fill up in CT or Mass if you don't have too. I usually did ok and got like $5 refund from IFTA. Sometimes I had to pay $30.

flood Thanks this.
  10. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    It's pretty simple. You keep track of where you buy fuel and how many miles you drive in each state (all miles, loaded empty whatever, ALL miles). You pay fuel tax when you buy fuel, each state has a different tax rate on fuel. So when you do your quarterly ifta report they are basically redistributing the fuel tax money. Depending on where you drive and buy fuel you may have to pay a little extra or you could get a refund. Example.. I only drive in Iowa and South Dakota. I buy all my fuel in Iowa. South Dakota has a lower tax rate so I get a little money back each quarter. Now I only drive a few hundred miles in SD so my refund is usually like 1.50$

PE_T Thanks this.
  11. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    I don’t think he’s talking about IFTA. I saw that the OP replied on an old thread about filing income tax returns for states you do business in so the confusion of that old thread lead to the confusion in this new thread he started.

lester and ZVar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.