TDI Florida

Discussion in 'Trucking Schools and CDL Training Forum' started by Brad357, Oct 25, 2009.

1. Brad357

Brad357 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    I've decided to start a new career. I 've been researching different driving schools and have settled on TDI in north Florida. It's close to home so I don't have to worry about staying in a motel for weeks, I can drive home every night. They ran a background check on me, called me and said I'm all set to go to school. Only thing on my record at all is a speeding ticket 2 years ago. First one I've had since 1993. I haven't had a wreck since the early 80's. I start school tomorrow morning, the 26th. I run out this afternoon to pick up a few things for school and run to the grocery to get some things so I can take my lunch. I'm on my way home from the grocery, everythings set for tomorrow, I'm pumped, can't wait.

BTW, I've been reading alot on these forum's the past few weeks. There is alot of very helpfull information here.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. kickin chicken

kickin chicken Road Train Member

Jan 4, 2009
    SC
    Hello Brad and Welcome to the Forum:)

That is unfortunate that you had a 'fender bender'. Thank God that everyone is alright though.

Was the speeding ticket that you have under 10mph??? That would be helpful.

Please keep posting your experiences in training for all of us to see.

Thank you and Best of Luck with Your New Career!!!!

4. Craneman

Craneman Bobtail Member

Sep 28, 2009
    Oviedo, Fl 32765
    Welcome Brad,

I graduated TDI Sanford, Fl -- Friday 10/23. I feel like it was a good school and a worthwile experience. I started with a class of 18 -- 7 of us graduated and earned our A licenses. If I may pass off a little advice, you can do it but you really have to want to. Don't listen to anything negative. All the naysayers and the "how many times can I take the test" people fall very quickly. Don't plan to fail. You will be nervous and have bad days - hang in there it will come when you finally relax. Remember if you can't figure something out after many tries that the instructors work for you - grab one and ask for help. They are more than helpful but may not help if you don't ask. Set your ego aside and realize you can do it given time. If it were easy all the sad sacks would be your competition for a job. I wouldn't worry to much about a fender bender -- be honest. It takes a long time to start looking smooth don't be to hard on yourself. There will be show offs and know it alls. Work at your own pace and be proud of your accomplishments no matter how small. It's 90% attitude. Get plenty of sleep. Don't worry to much about job calls until its over. Stay focused. I have faith in you man. You WILL be one of the proud.

kickin chicken Thanks this.
  5. big wheels

big wheels Medium Load Member

Oct 16, 2009
    florida-USA
    I went to tdi in 10/21/09 In Milton ,Florida. Three weeks thangs are going to go fast. But study the hand book, I mean just keep reading it over & over.Not only will help you in on the test it helps on the class testes to for your final grade. I passed with a 91.8. With the driving part backing and road driving. It helped me to take notes on how many times to turn the wheel to the right or the lefted. Like 2L 1R 2R 3L 2R It helped me to remember.When I took my skills test. The road test wheeee! My first day in the truck we are going interstate. what!!! Yeap!! But just do exactly what he said do. Its dont hard,The rpms down shifting got to me. Down to 1000 rpm down shifting two gears.I had to talk to my self out load ( I know sounds like im carzy but it helped) LIke low gear shifting in rpm range of 1300 shift. high range 1800 shift. 4th gear 5 grear (high low switch flip) go to 6th gear 7 th 8th 9 th 10 th. Down shift to 8 th from 10th rpm down to 1000 rpm( might have to use the brake) shift to 8th. now rpm will be at 1800 rpm to shifted again for two gears like 8th to 6th rpm down to 1000 (little brake) shift. I now sound like alot you get it I did. And dont quit tring & ask ? ? ? ?.The job placement program suck for me. No help!! My back ground is clean all the way back to 1990. But Its alot to do with economy with the bad job placement. Good luck ask me ?. See what I can do.:toothy7:

6. Brad357

Brad357 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Thanks guys. I am going to the TDI in Milton, Fl. I checked with the recruiter on Friday and he told me my class will have 5 if everyone shows up. I think I'll like a smaller class.

7. big wheels

Oct 16, 2009
    florida-USA
    Just to keep in mind;The recruiter works for the driving school. Not a trucking company recruiter. He will stop calling after he got you sign up. He makes alot of empty promises. When I was there the school was to have three different recruiter from different trucking(like swift,werner,covenant) to show up about the 2nd week.You know to sign you up to drive for them. But none showed up. The school gave no reason for the no show. Tell jim the computer class sucked.He'll know.:mwink:

8. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Brad,
    Good Luck !! I went to TDI for a refresher back in the mid '90's. Mine was in Sanford. Relax, you'll do fine.

9. Brad357

Brad357 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Yeah, they told us there aren't as many recruiters visiting as there used to be right now.

Day one is over and had a great time. Everyone I met at the school was great. Passed the DOT physical and filled out alot of papers.

10. big wheels

Oct 16, 2009
    florida-USA
    Great!! Your on your way!!Alot of paper work.Your right about that. Its a good idea to keep so copies of the info. Because you will fill out the same paper work at your oriention for the job you will some have.Tomorrow general knowledge class test and dmv test.Then air brakes & combination.all this week is all testing; Read the hand book over & over. YOu the inter net as some sample test. You know just to see where you are at.Good luck with recruiter.If they show up.:book:

11. Brad357

Brad357 Bobtail Member

Oct 12, 2009
    Gulf Breeze, FL
    Homework... :) I just filled out a slew of applications and now I have to study. I actually picked up the CDL manual from the DMV a couple of weeks ago and have read the entire manual at least once and parts of it 2 and 3 times. It helped a bunch. I highly recommend anyone thinking about school to get the manual ahead of time and start reading.

Yep, tests at the DMV the next 2 days. They say if everything goes well we may be in the truck this Friday.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.