TEAM DRIVER WANTING TO BE 0/0s

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by rookie truckers wife, Sep 22, 2017.

1. rookie truckers wife

rookie truckers wife Bobtail Member

Sep 18, 2017
    ADVICE, ADVICE, ADVICE!
    Hello everyone hope all are well wherever you are.
    My husband and brother are team drivers for about 10 months now. They plan to become O/Os after a year with the company they work if they have enough saved up for a truck. Here is where all you guys come in with advice, i would appreciate any input regarding

what is the best way to get a truck and where (not planning to lease with a company), which trucks are best
    for team drivers, companies to work for or brokerage, etc.

For the truckers wives or partners, what can i do at home to help them when it comes to everything else apart from feeling their bellies with food lol.

or husbands who have partners at home helping them. Thank you and cannot wait for your replies!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Buy a 1998-2003 Volvo 770 for $15-20k. Big comfortable truck, perfect for a team. Start now fixing everything what's needed to be fixed. At $35-40k you will have a very nice reliable truck and no payments to worry about.

4. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Honestly not trying to rain on their parade or sound negative. But they are not ready yet. 10 months of experience as team drivers working for a mega company will not provide the experience needed to become a successful O/O.

Driving is the easy part. They have reached the point where they are confident in their skill set. This is where many make the mistake of deciding to step up and finance or lease a truck. Like I said,.. driving is the easy part.

Get your husband and brother to sit down and start researching everything there is to know about the BUSINESS side of trucking. Brokering, factoring, financing, freight, freight lanes, rates, seasonal freight, permits, IFTA/IRP, Taxes, Shippers etc etc etc.

See if they are willing to look for a smaller company to work for that will pay them on percentage. This "should' give them access to the rate/con's. That way they can see how much they are hauling for,.. the who's, where's and how's. They need to experience some break downs and learn to handle the leg work for that.

Once they put the pieces together. Then decide on what segment they want to get into. Van, Reefer, open deck, specialized/heavy haul etc. Once the legwork for that is in place. Start working out direct shippers or if leasing to a carrier that specializes in what they want to haul,.. then and only then start researching which wold be the best truck to buy to pull that type of trailer. I would not buy a truck with out first knowing (Exactly) where and how the money will come in.

All of this will take time. Experience will be the best teacher.

This is a business and needs to be treated as such.

Good luck.

As for your part. Just be supportive. They are going to make mistakes. Trucking has ups and downs. The key to survival is having the fortitude and integrity to stick it out and the knowledge to make it all work. A grumpy needy spouse is not helpful. Believe me,.. we miss you as much as you miss us. Full belly and snuggle time is all I usually need.

Hurst

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. heartlessangel7

heartlessangel7 Bobtail Member

Dec 5, 2016
    Heard VOLVOS develop electrical issues in they latter years. Is that true???

6. heartlessangel7

Dec 5, 2016
    STAY AWAY FROM International ProStars. It's a garbage truck that comes from the factory broken.

rookie truckers wife Thanks this.
  7. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Volvo of that era only has like 5 sensors, very simple and cheap truck to work on, but has the same cab and ride quality as new ones.
    My 2001 Volvo with 1.8 mil miles drives like a car, nice, quiet and smooth

heartlessangel7 Thanks this.
  8. heartlessangel7

Dec 5, 2016
    Said truck about as rare as rooster teeth now. But I believe you on driveability. Had 1 at Knight. Drive like a giant car

9. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    If it has a MAXFORCE Yes... Prostars did come with different engines...

rookie truckers wife Thanks this.
  10. heartlessangel7

Dec 5, 2016
    Got NUMEROUS negative reports from friends & strangers abot $h!+3rnational Prostars.

Even if it had a Cummins, I hear of an issue in the dash with an anti-theft system that breaks and won't allow you to even start the truck.

11. DUNE-T

DUNE-T Road Train Member

May 10, 2015
    Detroit, MI
    Haha it is rare, but they pop up for sale here and there. I drove from MI to AZ to pick up another 2003 one.Love these things

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.