Team Driving a Lease Truck

Discussion in 'Lease Purchase Trucking Forum' started by 8-j, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 8-j

8-j Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2013
    This is turning out to be good advice about lease-op. Another company I've applied at is Prime. They openly admit you won't own the truck, but they pay freight instead of miles. (I've heard the down side of that is companies tend to give the best freight to their company drivers so they can pay them mileage and keep the freight.)

My friend is very wise. I discussed the issue with him, and he's all like "You like money, right?" "You're a company driver and you're making money now." "Why would you want to lease and then make no money?"

The only truthful answer I can give is that I think it would be a lot more fun. Company driving is boring.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WitchingHour

WitchingHour Road Train Member

Apr 1, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    There have been successful lease operators, but it takes careful consideration what company you lease with and good business management skills. Injun is one, although I don't think she posts on here anymore. She's leased with several companies, never aspired to buy the truck at the end of the lease... you can shoot her a PM for her advice on this, if she'll get a notification in her email and reply.
    I think that, for someone recklessly intent on committing to a truck financially (such as you seemed to be) without the sort of experience one really should get before they make such a commitment, lease can be a good way to start off. You'll learn about maintenance costs, you'll learn how your business management skills are, and, if it doesn't work for you, it leaves you a way out. I think such programs are good for people who have their head in the clouds and need to get a bit more grounded in reality.
    You're not ready to own a truck. Let's not beat around the bush here. And I think you're not unaware of this, but you're trying (at least to some extent) to ignore it. Which is why I recommended going the lease route rather than buying a truck outright - you'll have a warranty with your lease truck, you'll begin to understand maintenance costs and how important it is to set money aside for them, you'll learn the importance of learning how systems such as the air brake system work, and you have an option to back out and keep your credit intact as opposed to buying a truck and having it repossessed.
    A bunch of us have told you this already, but I'm going to reiterate that you're better off to get some time under your belt as a company driver, then go back and revisit your ideas once you have experience and can make a better informed decision as to whether or not to pursue this route. What you choose to do is your decision - as the adage goes, you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

4. fireba11

fireba11 Heavy Load Member

Jul 30, 2007
    Tracy City, TN
    When you own a truck you are a business man.....There is no room for "Fun" being a business man or you wont be a business man long.

5. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    Sam Walton was having fun:)

6. russellkanning

russellkanning Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Frost, TX
    I had a partner a few years ago and paid him the same rate he would get as a company driver. It worked well for us but I agree with these other guys their are all kinds of things to be considered.

7. Saddletramp1200

Saddletramp1200 Road Train Member

Sep 4, 2011
    Houston Texas,USA
    Lease means you pay to use it. I would run away from that so fast! You got a bomb! Don't do this. You will loose your friend, no truck is worth that.

8. Figgy

Figgy Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2012
    southeast regional
    Crst has that. You pay the student Like 6cent a mile sinve you are leasebpurchase trainer. And get around 5500 miles a week. Theres money to be made with there l/p but you can't choose your truck. They just give you whatever. Thats why the real sucessful ones get there own truck then bring it to crst. Cheaper truck payment. Don't get raped on maintanece escrow. And so on an so fou trh

9. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    As a team i think you will make way more on company side double the miles mean double the exposure to major colamity..,,,just think you drop a valve your down a week and your buddy with hungry kids staring at you ....company teams at good companies are like royalty truck hickups oh come by the yard we got a new one for u just my opinion and if you can get a premium rate close to 50 cpm with benes you wont even be able to touch that number on a fixed cpm lease that you mention

10. Asalazar2213

Asalazar2213 Bobtail Member

Feb 6, 2023
    Can 2 people be on a lease purchase agreement?

11. ducnut

ducnut Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    SPI
    ^^^^^ Be careful of this guy.
    •New member.
    •Chicago-based.
    •Adverts for lease-operators, all over the country.
    •Spamming TTR.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.