telling me to drive on a bad steer

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Kolorado, Jun 19, 2021.

1. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    You are right. It's not always a death sentence. Until it IS...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gekko1323

gekko1323 Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2018
    Henderson, NV
    Yep. You are now officially trolling. You DO know that the requirements for a legal steer are different than the rest, right?

NavigatorWife and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  4. fairshake

fairshake Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2010
    Chickenville, BFE
    The last tire you want to drive on is a worn steer, just think about that next curve and one suddenly popping. It's not a good thing,

5. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    . I already told the Guy to make them get a tire. Says he’s loaded very light, thinks he can make it 200 or 300 miles to the yard. From what I see, it’s not bald. I can still see the decoupler groove along the edge. The tread looks bad, but technically still Legal. I wouldn’t tell him to run it. But if in a pinch, I would run it a few hundred miles. I wouldn’t be worried too much about it either, unless it was shaking constantly. I’m surprised it isn’t already. When they get that bad, usually can’t be balanced. Should have never gotten to this point.

6. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Carrying a little load like that, no scales, I'd run that tire at 55-60 mph for 3 1/2 hours. I'd probably stop every hour or so and eyeball it. But then that tire gets replaced before it moves the 44k load, even if it means sitting at your yard until Monday morning.

And that tire didn't get in that shape in the last 200 miles unless you were running an exceptionally raggedy road.

7. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Yes we already confirmed that. I thought it was 6/32. It’s 4/32. The tread indicators in between the treads are 4/32. Their not worn into yet. The decoupler groove is still visible. That tells me it’s not totally bald. And I’m not trolling, just being honest. I’d run it, if I had no choice. Not very far, not over 65 mph. Both hands on the wheel, and periodically checking it. I’ll tell you something else, that may surprise you. I could put that tire on a Drive, and run it 50k or more miles, without it showing steel. Hard to believe. I know. But it’s true.

Bean Jr., slow.rider, sealevel and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    You’re about 3 hours from the yard with the light load? Any reason why they won’t fix it at the yard before leaving again?

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Exactly, that’s my point. On the other hand, if it did suddenly start wearing excessively in the last few hundred miles, I wouldn’t run it. I’ve had them do that before. All of a sudden tires shot. Flip it around, balance it, still shakes like crazy. Can’t be balanced, and ready to blow at any time. Has to be replaced ASAP.

10. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That was the whole problem. Shops closed on weekend. Dispatch not only doesn’t want to buy a tire, but expects him to run to the yard, then run a heavy 400 mile trip, then back to yard for a tire on Monday. I don’t blame him. He should be concerned. He needs to insist on a new tire. And if he has to, take it to the yard and go home. Dispatchers an Idiot.

NavigatorWife, Kolorado and Linte_Loco Thank this.
  11. Linte_Loco

Linte_Loco Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    LA (lower Alabama)
    I’m lost. It’s early Sunday morning and OP is getting a reset. Has to drop a load run 400 miles and back by Monday morning. F that

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.