Temporarily driving with dpf filter removed

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Trooper13, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Trooper13

Trooper13 Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2018
    Casper, WY
    Yes they are as far as parts go. Told Dave while he was working the computer i can't pay an extra thousand for the filter. I have to defend Dave and the shop though. They've generally been good to me and helped me where they can. It's still dadgum expensive getting in and out of the shop but he gives me a break and has run the computer as a courtesy for me. That means a lot to this poor operator

Crude Truckin' Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Working2party

Working2party Medium Load Member

Feb 10, 2018
    Kansas
    We ran a wrecked DD15 around the yard here a few days while we dismantled the truck. With it disconnected from the one box it never did shut down, but it was never at road speeds or at operating temperature either.... So to answer the question at hand. Yes your could remove the filters and drive it. But as stated you probably won’t get far and you won’t get there fast either. Even if you do manage to make a day with out setting the 5MPH code. The amount of soot your removed DPF would not catch would completely coat your SCR. Because that DD15 puked out a lot!!!! It doesn’t take much to mess up an SCR anyway. So while they are installing your newly cleaned DPF. You can also have them hang a new SCR on the back of it. But my bet is you won’t make the money in a day of running to pay for lost money of a new SCR.

4. Trooper13

Apr 16, 2018
    Casper, WY
    Ordered the new filter today after Kenworth confirmed the soot level was stage 4 and he told me it cannot be cleaned at this point. I know I've cleaned it before and the truck is at 22.5k hours/ 640k miles. Figure it's due for replacement regardless. New filter should arrive Friday

Fortunately today the stop engine light decided to go away and the dadgum thing even allowed me to perform the stationary Regen. All lights are out and driving full speed again. Had to drive it a little longer then a full day with the stop engine light on and severe derate, only allowing enough engine torque to provide about 10psi boost. Really had a hard time with the halliburton flashbacks...

At least if it holds i should be able to run full speed until New filter gets here and i can get time to swap them.

5. spsauerland

spsauerland Road Train Member

May 31, 2010
    West Harrison, In
    Still should have someone with Davie hook up to it after installing DPF to do the "Installed new DPF" service routine so soot load predictor is accurate. @ 640,000 the DOC is on its death bed if original. Might as well clean HC doser and air management sensors and wouldn't hurt to clean the EGR cooler also.

Goodysnap Thanks this.
  6. Super-Trucker

Super-Trucker Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2014
    I know this thread is from January. How is your truck running? Did you have any more issues after replacing the DPF? Hope you’re running strong. I have the exact same truck as you and I constantly debate whether to do a delete or keep dealing with these issues. Unfortunately I do not know anyone who performs said service. If not I may have done it already.

By the way....has anyone tried that cleaning service by Diesel Force? Only a few select places do it but it’s supposed to be a foaming action that cleans the whole system. I’m wondering if performing this service annually might reduce many of these issues. Would love to hear comments from anyone who has tried it.

rachi Thanks this.
  7. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    @spsauerland ,@pushbroom , @Goodysnap have experience with EPA 10 MX13.
    They can give you tips how to keep you running.
    Ask them nicely. ;)

Have you asked what a new DPF filter would cost?
    There is a argument to be made that prefers to put a new DPF fiter vs cleaning.

8. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    The EPA 10 is well known for plugging the hydrocarbon doser/7th injector. The injector itself doesnt plug, but the port in the cobra pipe gets caked over with carbon. If you dont take the time to clean and flow check it a new dpf will not last long or a cleaned one for that matter.

EGR and engine managment sensor cleanings are a must. The worse the idle time and light load, more frequent cleanings will be needed.

Its much easier to do the preventive maintenance up front than to dig out from years of problems.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2020
    rachi, spsauerland, pushbroom and 4 others Thank this.
  9. daf105paccar

daf105paccar Road Train Member

Apr 15, 2012
    How do the younger ones (2015 and up) fair?
    They also need preventive cleaning?

10. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    They do but the newer trucks are a lot better. Everything I've ever read and heard of says stay away from any truck 08-12 or 13. Then they got getter. I think Trooper's situation is a case in point.

rachi Thanks this.
  11. Trooper13

Apr 16, 2018
    Casper, WY

After i had to replace the dpf filter it ran well until around March i believe. Got to having problems again. Truck was telling me low def and flashing the red light in the gauge even though the level was high, about 3/4. I ended up having to replace dosing injector, def fluid pump, hoses for def and that little dadgum screen in the bottom of the def tank. (Ended up having to pull the tank off because i dropped the stupid dadgum tiny oring and the way the tank sits under the sleeper have very little room to work with). First replacement Def pump must have been bad, Kenworth did warranty it though.

Truck has been running well after all that, for the most part anyways. Wasn't able to work whatsoever from April 1 to June 8 though. Corona and the oil war removed all work.

Since i live and generally work only in Wyoming now I've taken a hard look at delete, technically it can be done here if the truck stays here. Main thing that keeps me from doing it is i would absolutely have to have my own computer and be able to commit to doing any and all work to the truck myself for the most part. No dealership and the majority of truck shops cannot risk touching a deleted truck. Fines are outrageous. Would have to work with a good shade tree mechanic who happens to have davie (there aren't many trees in Wyoming after all). Delete would solve all after treatment problems but if you need to replace am injector you're screwed without the computer. I tried hunting down computers for a while and pretty well came up with i really just need to get the #### davie programs and pay the subscription for it. Paccar did a real good job locking down it's software. There are other programs you can get by with but you won't be able to do everything with them.

All in all i really have to say that it's actually a pretty good engine. At least the engine itself has been relatively complaint free, couple fuel injectors is really about all it's needed besides the after treatment woes. Like goody snap is saying, have to know the preventative maintenance and take care of it. Really can be said for any engine. Seems like I've seen everyone fight numerous problems with after treatment systems, old and new. Think it's designed that way myself.

Probably would be better to trade truck off for a glider rather then pay for the delete and deal with the risk of fines after being caught...

rachi, spsauerland and daf105paccar Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.