Terminal locations?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by NJ Newbie, Aug 22, 2013.

1. NJ Newbie

NJ Newbie Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    South Jersey
    Do you try to find a company with a terminal location within so many miles from your home or does that not really matter in this business?

thanks!!

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    Welcome to the Forum, you will find a wealth of knowledge here, It depends on what you want to do and for who? I currently work for a dry box company in Ca. I live about 350 miles away, I get by the terminal about every 6 weeks, I take the truck home for my home time and back out again! It really depends on who you work for and what you want to do. I guess if you told us what you wanted to do then we could answer this better. Sty safe out there, study the forum and get all the knowledge you may want to know.

mje, NJ Newbie and g.o.a.l Thank this.
  4. cuzzin it

cuzzin it Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2008
    Berea, KY
    For the most part, being close to terminal is not an issue....

mje and NJ Newbie Thank this.
  5. NJ Newbie

NJ Newbie Light Load Member

Aug 9, 2013
    South Jersey
    i am wanting to do OTR. I live in southern nj just outside Philly. I was looking at schneider , trans am, tmc, Melton, maverick, usa, and us express. A few of those have terminals at around 70 miles from home. I wasn't sure how home time worked...if you needed to finish at a terminal or you just drop your last load and head for home? I've learned quite a bit so far from this forum and know I hardly learned anything at al!! Thanks for your reply and help!!

mje Thanks this.
  6. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    If a truck driver has been in his truck for the maximum number of hours and parks his truck at the terminal for his home time, can the truck driver go into his or her own car and drive home, especially if the drivers home is more than 150 miles away from the terminal?

Do HOS apply to the truck driver as far as his or her car is concerned?

7. lonewolf4ad

lonewolf4ad Road Train Member

Nov 4, 2008
    Displaced to Colorado
    driving your personal vehicle would be "off-duty". If you're taking a 34 (or hometime) won't really matter much. Otherwise it would be part of your 10 hours off duty.

8. luvtotruck

luvtotruck Road Train Member

Jul 30, 2013
    Phoenix Arizona
    NJNewb!
    There are different policies for every company, I once worked for a company several years ago at the beginning of my career that made drivers leave the trucks at the drivers home terminal, but my terminal was an exception because it was not large enough to house the trucks for all who were driving out of that terminal, It is pretty much a company policy, The companies you have chosen sound to me to be good companies for beginners or guys who want to be a company driver for the rest of their stays there, I know there are a few that do the lease thing, I suggest you look here and see what is basically said about a FLEASE!!! That is don't do it!. Make your company choice a good one and stick it out, The only reason to leave in your first year is that the checks come irregularly on a regular basis! Then is when you jump ship! I suggest 2 years then you can go anywhere you want to but the minimum 1 year!

9. Pmracing

Pmracing Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Arlington Heights, IL
    If you have room to legally park a cab or a cab and trailer at your home (not the local walmart) then having a terminal close to home is possibly irrelevant.

Mikeeee

10. Rich635mustang

Rich635mustang Light Load Member

Aug 15, 2013
    Hi,

Since I live right near you in southern NJ I can relate some info that I gathered when I was looking. With US Express and TMC, you take the truck home with you. For Watkins/Sheppard, you would leave the truck at the Sayerville, NJ terminal and drive your car home. If you do Schneider Tanker, you would leave the truck in Paulsboro, NJ (not sure about Schneider Van Division). I'm not sure about the others you mentioned.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.