Tesla semi truck is finally here! Pepsi taking delivery of first trucks. Event & drive videos.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Kenworth6969, Dec 1, 2022.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Kinda the same for the Ford Focus. When they first came out I was like "My god, that's an ugly car." Forward 20 years and now I'm like. That's not a horrible looking car.
    Either the car changed enough in design, or all other cars are equally ugly so the Focus no longer stands out. As I think it's more the latter than former I'm kinda afraid in 10-20 years the Tesla semi will actually look good compared to what else is out there.

Bean Jr. Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. m16ty

m16ty Road Train Member

Jan 22, 2016
    That is my issue with this EV push, they claim we have to do it to save the environment. I have nothing against EVs in general but to think they will save the environment is a big lie. I would submit that EV production, use, and disposal is more damaging to the environment than ICE vehicles.

Bean Jr. and jason6541 Thank this.
  4. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Ill leave if you want to believe the DOE or not, but there is this that shows the overall impact is lesser, even including the batteries.
    Electric Vehicle Myths | US EPA

5. KrumpledTed

KrumpledTed Medium Load Member

May 6, 2022
    Their math may be correct but their figures may be off. For example, are they accounting for the damage that mining for these raw materials does in areas outside of the US/EU? Not many countries outside of the West give a hoot about the environment.

Bean Jr. and ZVar Thank this.
  6. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Internet find……..

072AAC6B-19A6-4778-815C-2F4EB4EF6DEB.jpeg

Siinman and Accidental Trucker Thank this.
  7. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    That's one ugly truck

8. O.Henry

O.Henry Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2012
    San Antonio,TX.
    EF1013C3-E861-4851-8A58-9D53320CA331.jpeg Imagine,if you will.These are electric trucks stopped due to a wreck that causes a battery fire,which is now a Hazmat scene.
    How long can you wait?

Brettj3876 Thanks this.
  9. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Indefinitely as when stopped no power is being used. (Ok, a little is used for lights, instruments, etc., but there is still likely years worth of power for that). Food and water will be an issue far before power will be.

Now if you were to have pointed out getting stuck in a snow storm.....
    But as there are daycabs if that bad of a storm is going on the driver likely can't make it to work anyway.

Long FLD and O.Henry Thank this.
  10. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    Before electrifying OTR units with the associated charging infrastructure problems, why not concentrate on local vocational applications, like refuse, dump trucks, day cab P&D, many others which will naturally stay within about 100 miles of the home terminal, charge at night when the grid is at it's highest availability?
    Not to mention reducing the direct pollution (particulates etc) in urban areas, forgetting about the whole carbon thing for a minute.

Is anyone talking about an electric garbage truck? Heck no. Not sexy enough

Nah, we would rather deliver something really important like sugar water and potato chips through the countryside where pollution is not really an issue.

Brettj3876 and O.Henry Thank this.
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    You mean do exactly what Tesla is doing?
    Where has any electric semi even hinted at breaking into the OTR market?

rogueunh Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.