Texas Appeals Court Upholds $100 Million Judgement Against Werner

Discussion in 'Truckers News' started by Eddiec, May 22, 2023.

1. Bozwik

Bozwik Light Load Member

Mar 28, 2022
    Mars, USA
    So when the city installs light posts on the side of the street and a car crosses the media and loses control during an ice storm, will the city get sued for installing the light post where it was?

Siinman, TheLoadOut and Rubber duck kw Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. gentleroger

gentleroger Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes, they can be sued and they can lose.

4. Savor the Flavor

Savor the Flavor Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2018
    Saints preserve us! upload_2023-5-23_21-49-44.png

gentleroger Thanks this.
  5. Graham Cracker

Graham Cracker Light Load Member

Nov 12, 2022
    The government hates trucks. The motoring public hates trucks. How many get your big ugly truck off my happy highway looks have you gotten from 4 wheelers? Well they serve on jury’s too.

Seriously if you want some free money find a mega truck parked wherever make sure the driver is in it and just drive your 4 wheeler right into the back tandems and claim he was moving and it was his fault and oh my god I’m forever traumatized now, and call one of the many we sue trucker billboards and even though it completely nonsense they’ll still offer you some go away money just to not chance it in a jury trial.

Rubber duck kw Thanks this.
  6. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    That's exactly right. These lawyers and juries don't care about anything except redistributing as much wealth as possible.

7. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    We've deleted some political comments from this thread. If you want to talk politics please use the Politics forum.

Siinman and Savor the Flavor Thank this.
  8. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
  9. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    Very true. That happens in pretty much any area of law when a lawsuit is imminent. "Nuisance value" is what it's referred to usually. I have thrown spaghetti really at some things I handled myself, and got paid something say by an insurance company, tried the same thing with other insurance companies and got zippo.

"Werner’s arguments on its liability came down to Texas law and how it holds an employer liable for actions taken by its employees. That question was the basis for one of the dissents, submitted by Judge Randy Wilson." not sure if this means Werner was trying to say they shouldn't be held liable for their drivers actions. That is stupid, though to think that. That is exactly why respondeat superior exists. Driving too fast for conditions, I have been cited for that once when I hydroplaned. Way the officer explained it to me even though I wasn't doing the posted speed limit when it happened, if I was even going just 5 mph and the same thing happened I was still going too fast for conditions.

10. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022

I disagree with where you think this will take us. Punishing them for being on thier own side of the road will just have more lawsuits of the same but they won’t all be against trucks. Just think they will soon be saying you were just driving to work in your car but I work in a much more nessasary position so therefore you shouldn’t have been there. No matter how you slice this it was a bad choice by each and every person responsible for the verdict and the judge should be hung for not throwing the case out.
    So if I drive to the local store in my car and get hit by someone going someplace that they perceive to be more important it’s my fault they got hurt because if I wasn’t on my side of the road they wouldn’t have got hurt? Question what about that tree, pole, or other immovable object they would have hit if I wasn’t there?
    Better yet who put that guard rail there? Had it not been there I would have had sufficient room to regain controll or maybe them god forsaken cables strung just off the edge of the road. How about the state for not assigning a snow plow to drive directly in front of my car and ensure I have a clear and salted path.

Fact is we all pay taxes and no matter what our reason to be on the road it does not override the next taxpayers reason. If I remember this case clearly they were headed to an emergency room? WHY DIDNT THEY CALL AN AMBULANCE ? That would be the question in my Head as I said NOT GUILTY, NOT LIABLE, NOT GOVING YOU ANY MONEY FOR YOUR INCOMETENCE!

TheLoadOut Thanks this.
  11. Metalicious

Metalicious Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2015
    I think what the person you quote was referring to as positive is maybe the megas doing this putting a pulse in a driver seat with no training in driving in conditions like this driver was in, thinking twice about that practice moving forward. It doesn't say whether or not that driver had anyone else with him, but does say he was only out of driving school 7 days.

‘Olhand Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.