Thanks a pantload for the driver shortage, ELD huggers

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Timin770, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Short Fuse EOD

Short Fuse EOD Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2015
    Midwest
    Working is one of my favorite things to do in life. I’d rather push on beyond my 70 if I could.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    Sounds like some of you should get some cash side gigs. I'll be home hanging with the family!

4. bumper Jack

bumper Jack Heavy Load Member

Dec 5, 2021
    The 8 day thing is what bothers me. I can burn a 70 in 5 days easy. And I’m tired at the end. But 70 hours in 7 days isn’t really working that hard. Besides there is no 8 day week.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  5. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    I swear to God some of these people have to be company plants.

6. jdchet

jdchet Medium Load Member

Sep 3, 2012
    NE Ohio
    Been snorting some of that "Pixie Dust" knocking out those 100+ hour weeks?
    Another super trucker looking for a place to crash!

JD

7. scott180

scott180 Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2012
    Tooele, UT
    How many people actually work their "legal" hours the way they are supposed to.

I started yesterday at 7am did a pretrip, filled the fluids and got everything ready for the day. Only then did I log in to do a 5min pretrip on my log.

I then got over to a plant to load. After a a short time I went on off duty. I wasn't relieved of my responsibilities but I need to save my on duty time.

On my way to delivering I took my 30min break, off duty ofcourse. My time was spent cleaning the windows and fuelling.

To make the delivery time work I did a split shift to extend my hours. Now some may be able to actually sleep during a split but I have trouble going from wide awake and safe to work to sound asleep just to be back to work in a short period of time.

Over at the delivery I was kept waiting for a few hours after they were done unloading for my paperwork. Why should they hurry, there are no real consequences for delaying a driver.

I have just enough time to get to a truck stop so I can have access to a bathroom. As soon as I get there I go into post trip and refuel the truck, DEF and reffer. Next I search for a spot and get lucky and find one.

Once parked I immediately switch to sleeper. Now it's time to do a post trip and any end of day paperwork.

Fortunately with it being so late I won't have to wait in line for an hour to get a shower.

Now for the restful six hours I have to sleep with the soothing sound of the engine and reffer to rattle me to sleep.

Start time 7am finish time 2:30 am
    All this was technically legal according to the logs. Fortunately I don't have to work like this all the time but there is much that's outside the control of the driver that chips away at the available ELD time.

All this is just part of the job, and they wonder why so many leave in the first year.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2022
  8. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’m #### sure glad that went away for the local guys. When I’m up against 8 hours with 7 pickups to do and 3 of them close early I don’t have time to sit and twiddle my thumbs for a half hour because some pencil neck dweeb decided on behalf of a few lazy idiots that I need to.

Even when I’m not busy, that’s a half hour sooner I could get home.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Aren’t the livestock haulers exempt anyway?

10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Currently exempt until the Covid emergency goes away. I think since last September they’re supposed to run a log and log their time, but the driving and on duty limits are gone.

When the state of emergency is removed then they will have their own rules so they will get the 150 air miles on both ends of the trip.

11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    What @Long FLD said sums it up.. for right now... I guess my point was... I get tried of someone just assuming that because somebody wants or chooses to run hard.. that means their are financial despair

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.