Thanks for the info on CRST

Discussion in 'CRST' started by Babiarz5y, Jan 23, 2012.

1. wowo6057

wowo6057 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    not Rialto Ca.
    That would jerk my chain also, if they have instructors then instruct. Straight line is all you, if you cant see both sides of the trailer you are going off course. Keep looking between the mirrors you can do it. The l park messed with me but you don't do that much. good luck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wowo6057

wowo6057 Light Load Member

Jul 4, 2010
    not Rialto Ca.
    He's right though, it is easy, once you have it done. Takes a while. Don't get upset, may as well stop and cool down. Keep at it you will get it. It's not brain surgery.

4. Ray1547

Ray1547 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Prince Frederick,Md
    The CRST school is a farce! I just left/graduated from there 6 weeks ago. I received a total of 5 hrs behind the wheel over the approximate 4 week program. I then went on the road for 24 days with a trainer--Actually 2 trainers-> The 1st had been a driver for 8 months and I was his 1st student! He decided he did not want to train so I got another trainer who was about to quit CRST. He decided to go on home time to reassess what he wanted to do! I am now done with my 1st co-driver (2 weeks are required} who is reassessing whether or not he should continue with CRST too! Now I am reassessing whether or not it is safe to continue with CRST who I understand has the worse safety record in the industry! ---Think long and hard before signing on with CRST guys and gals! You will be pd about 10 cents per truck mile meaning if the truck goes 1000 miles you receive about $100 pretax. Forget the 22 cents per mile you are told you will receive! You are going to be into a team driving situation and that means your pay is calculated at 1/2 your rate of 22 cents AFTER CRST does some BS accounting saying you are better off receiving 20 cents as a base pay because you will owe less in taxes and receive more take home pay. Just be aware-> You will be pd based on TEAM TRUCK miles at about 10 cents per mile. After 6 months you will be up to 32 cents stated rate which translates to (I think} 20 cents per team truck mile because CRST claims they pay 12 cents per mile in per diem while paying YOU 10 cents. Drivers receive the entire 10 cents of per diem tax free BUT the end result is you receive about 10 cents per team truck mile in the 1st 6 months.

5. MikeAkaSyndrome

MikeAkaSyndrome Light Load Member

Apr 29, 2012
    Ocala, FL
    And at what point did CRST mislead you about that ? I thought it was rather clear that it was team driving. With team driving, you are splitting pay or miles, either way. Its a crappy way to start, but its a start, nonetheless. Dont give up now, do your best to stick it out!!!!!!!!!

6. Ray1547

Ray1547 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Prince Frederick,Md
    Mike-I did not say CRST misleads BUT most newbies are confused vs the pay system and none are informed about how CRST does the Per Diem pay until they actually get hired. In a nutshell->CRST declares 12 cents of everyones pay to be Per Diem which is a tax write-off for drivers because it is the cost of living on the road. That way it is not taxable wages BUT CRST only pays drivers 10 cents in cash via their paychecks vs the 12 cents deducted while claiming drivers take home more $. That may or may not be true but it is to CRST's advantage in the end run. CRST advertises 22 cents vs a team driving scenario. That is reduced to 20 cents via the Per Diem program.Net result = 10 cents per truck mile pd to rookies. Yes pay increases with experience but I have other issues with CRST policies too. I won't get into them in this forum but people need to ask pointed questions before agreeing to attend school.

7. EnigmaGal

EnigmaGal Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2012
    NY
    Like what questions should be asked? Can you refuse to be paid this "per diem"? I'm a little confused by it...:biggrin_2556: But, when it comes to numbers and taxes and the like...:biggrin_25521:

8. Ray1547

Ray1547 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Prince Frederick,Md
    1st of all enigma->Per Diem is calculated to be 12 cents per mile. Per Diem paid is not taxable because it is (technically) reimbursement for tax deductible expenses pd by a driver. IE-If you are pd $220/22 cents per truck mile (2000 truck miles divided by 2 because it is team driving--Gross pay can be calculated by halving truck miles or pay) GROSS (Pre-tax) it is expected that it will cost you 12 cents to live on the road so that expense is not taxable. CRST pays you 10 cents cash for the per diem (that shows on their books as 12 cents) + 10 cents that is taxable instead of paying 22 cents taxable. In other words-For every 2000 truck miles you receive 10 cents X 1000 =$100 non taxable cash+$100 that is taxed so you are not paying taxes on $220.You would pay taxes on only $100. You take home a few more $ because you are in a very low tax bracket but your gross pay/yearly earnings is reduced by 2 cents per mile. I do not think one can opt out.It is easiest to just remember that your pay will be about half your 22 cent rate X total truck miles. Net pay per 1000 truck miles is about $100 in your pocket dependent on # of dependents claimed @ the 22 cents CRST advertises.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. EnigmaGal

EnigmaGal Light Load Member

Jul 17, 2012
    NY
    So, who gets the tax write off? Them or you? Can't you claim expenses at the end of the year? DOn't mind me of I'm a little confused by it all..I kind of get it...
    So, are you going to stay with them??
    What questions should you ask??
    At least you made it through! :yes2557:

10. Ray1547

Ray1547 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Prince Frederick,Md
    I may or may not stay with CRST. The jury is out at this point--lol! The Cedar Rapids facility takes in about 1000 per month and I am guessing about 20% make it thru. The school sucks a big time. You receive only 5 hrs behind the wheel in a month spending most of your time waiting being bored to death. Be SURE you have enough $ to sustain yourself for 4--6 weeks. You will be in a room with 3 beds and derelicts abound so be careful. High blood pressure eliminates many as does diabetes and drug tests. Do not drink alcohol as that is grounds for dismissal. Meals are provided the 1st 2 weeks but the 2nd 2 weeks you are at the driving school with no meals except breakfast available. Few meals on weekends either.

11. Ray1547

Ray1547 Bobtail Member

Apr 26, 2012
    Prince Frederick,Md
    The tax write off is already taken when CRST pays the perdiem. I will have to ask a tax pro about it to be sure but CRST assumes your expense i9s 12 cents and pays 10 cents to you saving the company 2 cents per mile per driver U C! THAT is a LOT of savings and it helps make CRST competitive.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.