"That kid that don't know nothin'"

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by John B. Hood, Aug 1, 2018.

1. John B. Hood

John B. Hood Bobtail Member

Jul 6, 2018
    I started running pneumatic bulks monday for the first time, after running alongside them in a hopper delivering frac sand. Figuring there wasn't much too it, i was given the chance to jump on it and did - and ended up jumping face first down a rabbit hole from hell.

Actually, it's not that bad. Only some paranoria and anxiety attacks. You see, i was told someone would be at the unloader to train me. By someone they meant 'ask one of the guys down there to show you'.

Imagine their faces when I tell them its my first day on a pneumatic and I have no trainer in sight. It was nuts, lol. So they all came out to help me and thankfully some other drivers were plenty happy to show me how to do things. They get me started and show me what all the levers do then they just... leave. Quite the stress to throw on a newbie i'd say.

Took me 3 hrs to unload 23 tons of flyash. Im my defence the plant restricts psi to 11. But they also wanted to ban me for taking too long. And gave me the nickname "turtle".

Anyway, that was monday. As I type, on wesnesday i've delivered 4 loads and i've immediately reduced my time down to 45 mins - 1 1/2 hrs. How? I have no freaking clue. The entire time i'm unloading, i just do the starting motions, then get the product going and pray it doesn't plug up. So far I haven't plugged anything yet, and I hope I don't because i've got no clue what to do when that happens.

I'll be updating this thing regularly. Stick around, it's gonna get wild.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John B. Hood

Jul 6, 2018
    As it happens, i'm getting little sleep tonight. The original plan was for me to run to Muskogee, OK and do transfers from there all day tomorrow. That changed when the boss calls me asking if I have any felonies. "No, clean record. Why?" "Good, they got in a pinch and I need you to load out of the plant and run to the Air Force base. Be there by 6am."

Its 7pm, the transfer has been closed for 2 hours. He's supposedly got people coming in to load me. Til then i'm waiting. It's going to be an interesting day tomorrow.

I'm pretty sure my tank air guage is plugged up, need to get that taken cared of before the night is over. Not sure how, i guess i'll blast air down it to see if that fixes the problem. If it doesn't, i'm unloading with a broken tank air guage tomorrow.

And 3 days experience.

With no trainer.

meechyaboy, Rollr4872, Bud A. and 8 others Thank this.
  4. Just passing by

Just passing by Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2017
    Mississippi
    Following! I watched a bunch of YouTube videos on load/unloading pneumatics. After 2 sessions with a trainer, they sent me out with a load plastic pellets, all by myself. Max 5 psi to unload, otherwise they melt and turn into little strings... my first unload solo: 8 hours! I hated that gig.
    Good luck and don't be shy to ask for help. We all had our rough times.

Rollr4872, Bud A., Dave_in_AZ and 5 others Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You have to have that gauge.

If you don't you are not going to be able to unload it right. It will either overload the tanker or plug up the product.

Get that gauge replaced or fixed before heading out. Or grab another trailer that has a working gauge.

There is no possible workaround for a no gauge tanker to unload. Don't do it.

meechyaboy, Rollr4872, Bud A. and 8 others Thank this.
  6. Suspect Zero

Suspect Zero Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2016
    Burbank, IL
    I'm with @Just passing by , don't be afraid to ask.

I've only been doing dry bulk about 3 months total (1 with a trainer and 2 out on my own) so don't really know #### myself but if I can help in any way I will. There are a few guys around here that seem happy to help us rookies learn the ropes.

Good luck out there. The best thing I can say at the moment is write everything down. Take notes like there's no tomorrow, what valve settings worked good, what ones sucked, pressures, anything at all you might notice. I still get my notebook from training out on a regular basis.

7. John B. Hood

Jul 6, 2018
    Thank you guys. While i'm waiting to get the AFB load, some other drivers helped me blow out my tank psi guage. It had a good bit of dust and flyash in it, so that should fix that up.

I have to deal with some locking brakes til I can adjust them.

I should put a disclaimer, i'm running under an owner op, who is leased under a larger pneumatic company. I was essentially told to make it work til the first paycheck hits, then i'm getting new tires and brakes, and a new truck. A 95 pete 379.

For those who care, this is the rig i'm running now. She's rough and old, but from the inside out that truck runs smooth and is making me money.

Attached Files:

Rollr4872, Bud A., Dave_in_AZ and 3 others Thank this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    Run your PTO slower, keep your assist valve open for flow and modulate your product valve. Blowoff to keep pressure down if you have to. But any plant that requires low pressure is likely antiquated and unsafe anyway. He's using you. Wear a respirator in those places, the bag plant is likely crap if there even is one. Fly ash is toxic, wear a respirator if you have to buy one.

Make him replace that gauge if it's tank pressure. If it's line pressure it doesn't matter so much. Or switch them so you know your tank pressure. Having both is best, but the tank will blow first.

If you get a plug, close the product valve to stop plugging and open the blowoff to relieve the tank right away, then figure it out.

Rollr4872, Bud A., Dave_in_AZ and 4 others Thank this.
  9. Texas Rebel

Texas Rebel Light Load Member

Apr 15, 2018
    Muleshoe,Texas
    Following!!! Gen. Lee would be proud of you. Hang in there, you will do fine.

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    I usually unload at 12 pounds in about under a hour for cement 10 minutes longer for fly ash.

As long the electric pump off the plant is humming and the product hose to silo hook up is snaking you are doing well. You can actually stand on that house and feel the product. It will bubble under your feet and move from under one foot to the next.

If you are running off the truck's exhaust blower PTO, the first metallic cough you hear, shut product off immediate at that pot, open the air unload pipe all the way and be prepared to drop tank pressure a little bit. The coughing should ease.

If the hose stops snaking one of two things you feet will tell you standing on it. Hiss of nothing but air and you can bounce on it (That's good) if you don't have any bounce or air movement, get a rubber mallet and start beating on that silo pipe a few times. Go back to the trailer make sure all your pots (One at a time usually) are closed. and the air feed to the unload pipe under the pot is open to the max. You will drop tank pressure a little bit but the all important coughing should stop.

If it does not you have a problem. Take the PTO off line and hold what you have in that tank.

It's really hard to convert to english what you must do fast on that first cough of your blower turbo.

Respirator is really really important. I have actual lime lining parts of my lung and it's associated piping. It is something I will always deal with life long. (The crematory will burn that off)

You must have good mask protection to a very quality fine protection of your air if you dont you are going to get really sick fast. Im not up on the science but some of the dust from certain products are capable of invading your air sacs inside the lungs where you must be able to exchange oxygen for waste gas to exhale. If you cannot exchange as the sacs get contaminated you will get sicker over time. Lead powder will be one substance I will refuse to haul, I think that's also hazmat. (Kind of conflicting when I clean certain guns after shooting that stuff...)

11. Rugerfan

Rugerfan Road Train Member

May 3, 2011
    Redding,CA
    DOT dream right there

Woodys, Rollr4872 and TheyCallMeDave Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.