The $350 CDL in 3 days

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheBreeze, Mar 7, 2008.

1. TheBreeze

TheBreeze Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Mansfield, TX.
    I have read so many horror stories on here about new recruits paying $5,000 for CDL school and then having to work it off for the next year with some cdl mill trucking company. So I decided to post this message about many drivers I am aware of who got their CDL in 3 days and for only $350. I know that in the Dallas area and I am sure in most other major metropolitan areas, there are companies that will rent you their truck and trailer to take the CDL road test. You go down and get the written test book from the DOT and study for it yourself. Then go take and pass the written test. After that you will contact the CDL company that will allow you to drive their equipment for the road test. They will take you out and get you used to driving the truck and trailer and show you everything you need to know to pass the road test. These companies usually cost around $350 +-. After you pass the road test and pay the state their $60 or so fee, your Class A CDL will be issued. I know several people who got the book and studied the first day. Took the written test and passed the next day. Set up their road test for the next day and passed that too. 3 days & $350 later, they are a licensed Class A CDL "driver".
    Now...finding a job wont be easy but it also wont be impossible. You will just have to find a company that will take on rookie drivers. I would suggest that anyone who pursues this line of CDL aquisition find a company or person who is willing to spend considerable time with them while the new driver gains the much needed time & experience behind the wheel. Hopefully with a well experienced co-driver.
    Now...before any drivers start bashing me and giving me crap because I let these rookies in on this CDL secret, let me say this. I do feel that proper training from a good school is the best way to get started if you have the money to pay cash for it. However most of these drivers are getting ripped off and becoming endentured servants to these CDL mills and this post is simply listed as more information for those who may need other options. They are not getting the proper equipment, trainers or training and we all know how many of these new drivers end up in the ditch. Experienced can only be gained behind the wheel and having broke students, pay thousands to these crooked companies is not making the situation any better for anyone. So I would ask that if any of the other professional drivers reading this post have any other constructive suggestions to add to this post. Please feel free to do so.

Jaebo74 and Keountay2013 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ronnocomot

Ronnocomot Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2006
    IL
    Just like everything else, you get what you pay for.

Wicked Wizard Thanks this.
  4. cajun

cajun Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    USSA
    Well, things are a lot different now than when i started, I grew up in the trucking business so i didn't go to any school. The only trainers I had were my old man and my uncles who would cuss you out and slap you in the head when you done something stupid. I think these schools are only about 4-6 weeks long. Trust me, you ain't gonna be a good truck driver in 4-6 weeks, the best training is ojt. And you're gonna make mistakes just have to be careful to not make them big ones.

5. TheBreeze

TheBreeze Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Mansfield, TX.
    I think it would be good if the trainers would slap the students in the head when they did something stupid.:biggrin_255:

feldsforever Thanks this.
  6. Truckerjo

Truckerjo Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Indiana
    Make them drop and do 20 or somthing....

7. Burky

Burky Road Train Member

Well, I think I beat the price on that one. It seems like I paid about 60 bucks to the state for the various endorsements after taking the written test. I went down, got the book and studied it, then took the test. 2 days later, we took one of the semi's from the farm over to the road test place, and I took the road test, passing it also. On the night before, snce I hadn't touched the steering wheel of any semi for about 7 years prior to the road test, I went over to the farm, and drove around the back roads for about 15 minutes, just to shake off any rust I might have had on my shifting work on the 13 speed.

Road test cost about 75 bucks, so we are up to the 135 dollar mark. Had the license for 10 years now, been using it pretty much daily.

feldsforever Thanks this.
  8. MedicineMan

MedicineMan Road Train Member

Jan 13, 2007
    Woodville, TX
    yup. no school here either. Used my old mans truck. You have to take into account though I bet 75% of the people in truck driving school have never seen the inside of a truck. Probably wouldn't know how to start it, put it in gear and release the brakes

9. mc8541ss

mc8541ss Road Train Member

Sep 22, 2007
    Lower Alabama
    It only cost me the fees the state charged for taking the test. Used one of my brothers trucks to take the test and I got it all done in less than a week. I did study the CDL manual on and off for a couple of months while I was in Iraq.
    I do beleave you need proper training but I trust my brother to teach me the ropes alot more than any of these trucking companies that just want to take advantage of us newbees.

10. DallasJSO

DallasJSO Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I used one of those $350 trucks to get my license, I even got tanker, double/triples, and hazmat endorsements, but I am now finding that it is very difficult or impossible to get any kind of local driving job without 1) 160 hours of school or 2) at least a year of recent experience. I cannot even find a class B driving job.
    I do understand the reason is because of insurance requirements but I would think there must be some way "in" without going OTR.
    For now I am considering paying for the school even though I have my license already, that way I can hopefully get something with a regional carrier.

11. jasonb

jasonb Light Load Member

Dec 23, 2007
    SE PA
    re:"I think it would be good if the trainers would slap the students in the head when they did something stupid"

I would still have a headache.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.