The $350 CDL in 3 days

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by TheBreeze, Mar 7, 2008.

1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    No school can say they will have a jobfor a student when they graduate . Many traduates are rejected at orientation and more are rejected by trainers .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. andrew5184

andrew5184 Light Load Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Sapulpa, OK
    And yet they make that claim all the time. I'd like to say, it's borderline criminal, but people have to make up their own minds. In other words, if I decide to take some recruiters word that I'm guaranteed a job, but fail to do my own research and end up without a job, it's my own fault. But it is sad that they seem prey on those that may not know any better and are just looking for a way to put food on the table.

I don't think the idea of the schools are altogether bad, but the industry seemed to survive just fine without them for a lot of years in the past. I think my dad would be rolling around in his grave if he knew what it takes to get a CDL today. He was driving rigs around the oil fields when he was 14.

I remember asking him when I was little, "how'd you learn to drive this thing?" (it was a '77 W900 with a Cummins and a 5-4 transmission. BTW, in my avatar, that's me sitting in the driver's seat 100 years ago). He said, "well, I learned everything I know from my dad". From then on, I watched him like a hawk to try and learn, and he knew I was. Now, I know not everyone who gets into this is the son of a driver, but I think the role a mentor should play is the most important.

Think of how many people you went to school with that got the same diploma you did, but didn't learn a thing. Maybe that person was you or me. LOL. Point is, it's easy to skirt the system. But when you cut the student teacher ratio to 1:1, it's pretty hard to fake it.

4. tinytim

tinytim Road Train Member

Oct 29, 2007
    Northern Ontario
    I know the feeling. My school was 60 hours of driving. From there I got on with a company which has a pretty short training period. You should know how to handle the vehicle by now though a longer trailer will be a change. I know many will disagree but like most things the only way to really learn is by doing it yourself.

I've managed to stay out of trouble with a few simple steps.
    Don't be afraid to ask questions. You can always find an experienced driver who is more than happy to pass on their knowledge.
    Never rush and never panic. No matter how much training you have once you get on your own you will make mistakes. Don't panic and turn a small one into a big one.

That's my two cents anyway from someone who's pretty new and has stayed out of trouble so far.

RickG Thanks this.
  5. DDiesel

DDiesel Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Fresno
    yea it better to get your C.D.L first because the company is going to train you regardless but then you wont get stuck in a 1-3 year contract and owe 3,000 right??

6. DDiesel

DDiesel Light Load Member

Jun 22, 2009
    Fresno

some companies like cr england force you to sign a lease and may fire you before its up and your still stuck paying so its good you got school out the way just don't wait to long though or they'll tax you with the refresher programs after so many months after obtaining your cdl but you gotta start somewhere like tim said best way to find out is through your own exp. but still learn what you can from others :biggrin_25515:

7. MackLash

MackLash Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2017
    where is this place? i have 6 years of class b experience and 2 with class a. i have been driving trucks without a cdl.

8. TommyTrucker88

TommyTrucker88 Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2016
    POCONOS, PA
    I have heard the 350 for the day to use there truck but that's with no training. you need some driving experience already. And if you fail that day next time you come it's another 350. But a lot of people don't have any experience and have to do it the hard route.

9. Smoothmothertrucker

Smoothmothertrucker Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2021
    Any company name ?

10. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    You do know that you are responding to a 13 year old post, right? That member is no longer here on TTR>

Farmerbob1 and SoulScream84 Thank this.
  11. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    If I would have had to pay. I would have paid almost 9 k.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.