The 8 inch rand McNally tablet

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Upright, Feb 6, 2015.

1. BROKENSPROKET

BROKENSPROKET Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2011
    Wisconsin
    So the TND Tablet STILL has to be updated through a PC/Mac? It has its own internet connection. That does not make sense to me.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    Wi-Fi connected to your Hotspot. This was mentioned before.

4. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    It means you cannot use a Mini to Micro USB cable and connect the TND to the tablet to update. Slave/slave.

The PC/Mac are the masters.

5. M.Davis

M.Davis Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2015
    If I'm not mistaken, the A7 chip used in the RM Tablet is not made by Intel. It is made by a company called ARM.

6. moosc

moosc Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2009
    Lincolnton NC
    Wow I originaly read it was a Intel chip. So what happened A7 is Qualcomm chip

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    the tablet is a flash drive. just like any other memory card used for storage and expansion.

the RM is also a flash drive.

slave and master don't apply. and also doesn't plug into usb ports. those plug in to the OLD style eide sockets on teh motherboard. today's hard drives are sata plugs. and no longer have nor require the capabilities of slave and master.

i have the copilot gps program. the app itself updates through the play store. the maps requires the internet. done through the app.

i'm surprised RM doesn't have a way to update. and they want $500. for an 8 inch screen.

8. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Weird, I had attached a picture 20150220_075807.jpg

Let's see if it works here

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
  10. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Couple of things here.

A. Mark is referring to the broader "Master/Slave" relationship that is use throughout the industry. In just about every case that you connect two pieces of gear, one is the master and one is the slave. Snowwy referred to the old days of hard drives where you have to designate WHICH was WHICH by using a small jumper. However, with Sata it is jumperless, but it is still a "slave" to the motherboard master. Master/Slave relationships in computing absolutely do apply (essential actually) but most devices are now automating that communication protocol so that we don't need to think about it any more. The Rand tablet is not designed to be a master device for updating other models at this time (just itself.)

B. The Rand tablet does not use the TND dock software by slaving it to a PC or Mac to update. It updates all of its on-board apps (including the TND GPS program) via Wifi. There is an RM Market app for RM-specific stuff, and the normal Google Play app for all other apps you put on. So it updates in the "usual Android way."

C. ARM is not a company - it is a processor architecture. It is licensed to many companies by it's developer (ARM Holdings) and it WIDELY USED throughout the mobile computing device industry (including Apple, Samsung, and dozens more.) The method runs low heat and low power, so it is ideal for battery-powered portable devices. Qualcomm has taken the ball and run with the ARM architecture and making billions $$$ with it also.

- Don

Mark Kling Thanks this.
  11. Vilhiem

Vilhiem Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2014
    Looks like to me a whole lotta nothing surrounds this tablet. If you make a product that you know people are going to use but will want to knot the technical specs on prior to buying, it would be nice and a point to your sales, to list the specifications and make them easy to find.

From what im reading here, the tablet sounds like a politician. Lots of promises are made with no clear cut way to keep them. When elected, it works in your favor for some time and then you're given the finger. You can't satisfy everyone of course.

I think I'll keep looking, this looks like a great concept that wasn't quite thought out fully.

I do have a couple questions I didn't see addressed here...

Can this be set to auto-on for the dashcam? I'm forgetful so that's on me, but I may not think to reach over and hit the dashcam button. So can it be triggered by motion?

The internal memory is only 1gb, and I see you can add an SD card. How big?

I do have others, and if these have been addressed then my apologies but I haven't found the answers yet.

But from reviews it looks like a very mixed bag. Those of you who bought it, and liked it, would you recommend it to a company driver?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.