The 8 inch rand McNally tablet

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Upright, Feb 6, 2015.

1. hootowl

hootowl Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2009
    fredericksburg, va
    also when I go to multi stop trips it wont remove that wal mart

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    What other apps have you loaded on the Tablet?

Sounds like the GPS is turned off or something is very corrupted in your files.

We can uninstall the Truck GPS app and it will reinstall when an update is available for it. I would not uninstall till the update is available.

Reason you are not getting any answers is what you are describing is very odd and I have never heard of any of the issues you are having.

You can send it to me here in NC for me to look at.

Mark

4. EekABunny

EekABunny Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2012
    Got my TND Tablet today, and transferred all my address book locations without any worry. My only quick gripe is that it does not have the Classic skin for the GPS app as an option (the TND 7x0 does). I really like the classic look better than the Ice or Carbon skins. Anyway to get it to Classic, or can this be added at a later update?

Thanks!

5. Dieselboss

Dieselboss Technology Contributor

Feb 19, 2009
    DieselBoss.com
    Heh. I was wondering if anyone was going to say that...

6. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    After 38 years on the ocean as a commercial fisherman
    I can tell you with certainty that one device to do multiple tasks leaves you with no device when it doesnt work
    they have sold combination gps sounder radars on marine market for a long time
    only any good in the recreational boating with limited space
    if you have a power problem with this tablet then you have no tablet or gps

Balakov100 Thanks this.
  7. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    Okay . So I do not have the time to read this whole thread as I just started running otr and am home for a short time with lots to do so can you sum it up for me and say yes or no ?
    i need something that will get me where I am going without getting me lost like mapquest does quite often with it's " turn left or right " when it is really the other direction .

questions ....

Can i select a route like I do in google maps . you know like left click and hit " start here " and then " end here " ? ..,,reason i ask is that RM maps online do not let you do this which is strange since they are the map people . . Everyone else does it .

Can i put in a street and nothing else and just have it route me to there in the shortest way ? .. Reason for this is my GPS will not allow me to put in anything it does not have in data base . I CANNOT just say " here I am " and I want to go to I70 " I have to put in a address or intersection . That is a problem when I do not know that . So can O i just put in I70 and have it route me to that hyw from where I am ?

Does it work well ? Has anyone used it ?

I have no use for the trucker apps in it so no questions on them . I just want to be able to say " hey , how do i get to I70 from here " No address , No intersection , no anything but route me to the nearest I70 on ramp .

Looking for answer bwefore I waste another chunk of money on gps that is useless . Already bought a 650 $ trucker unit and sold for 140 because it was crap . sold another gps for 70 . Still have my megellan with new map update that I am going to sell for for the cost of the update , 80 $ as soon as I find a new one .

8. HardlyWorkingNeverHome

HardlyWorkingNeverHome Heavy Load Member

Mar 18, 2008
    Hamden,CT

I would get a 530 or a 730 based on what size you prefer. The tablet is too much money if you don't want a tablet, apps, and a dash cam that you can't adjust. The maps are the same on the $500 tablet and the $260 530.

You can zoom in and out of the map and click on a road you want to get to, it will then route. You can also take two points that you are not at, and do the trip like that on the gps to get an idea of what the route would be.

krazman Thanks this.
  9. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    you can buy copilot for $150. and install it on ANY android device. that has a built in gps chip. you'll never have to buy a gps program again. and it works really well.

it's not perfect, but nothing is. but it's the closest thing you'll get to perfect. very seldom do i have to pull out the atlas.

only time i get myself into trouble, is when i try to make my own decision. and i've stopped doing that as copilot knows the streets better then me.

krazman Thanks this.
  10. krazman

krazman Light Load Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Wichita,Ks
    that might be nice since I bought a new android tablet to run microsoft streets and trips on and it would not run on it . MS ST is a good map . I bought a new laptop 10" for that but just easier if I have a tablet siting on dash .

11. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    I have a 5" RM510 I've used for a few years. The software has been updated periodically, and (I'm assuming here) that what I have is representative of their current 5" GPS line. The unit assumes you are starting from your current GPS position, you type in a location that can be an address, city center or street intersection. If you don't have that information, you can zoom the map to where you're going and pick it out that way.

You need a little more than that, for example, how many little towns have a "Main" street? You can specify a route to an intersection by selecting the city and main street you want, and then use the "List" function to obtain a list of intersecting cross streets. That get's you as close as just specifying anywhere on a street.

You'd start where you are, and can locate I70 (for example) on the map. Zoom in a little, highlight a segment and select that or any other segment of the road as a destination.

Like any other piece of computerized hardware, there have been bugs in it. RM had a problem with the power supplies on the larger screens for some time, but seem to have overcome that problem with their later offerings. My 5" software has been improved over time. One suggestion that I made (and I am sure others as well) was to include an option for hazmat routing. This was incorporated in an update last year. So yeah, I've seen some bugs, and yeah, I've seen them corrected.

My overall impression of the RM unit I'm using is it's very good. Sometimes the routing is a little weird, but it is dependent on what's in the road net database, and the settings that you've put into the unit. That being said, NO ONE should rely on these devices to tell them where to go. If it tells you to turn down a road that really doesn't look as though it is suitable for a class 8 CMV, you shouldn't be going down that road. Unless I'm using a route that I've done in the past and am satisfied with, frequently I will reject the GPS routing and enter my own using waypoints. You can specify intermediate stops by city center, and as you approach them tell the unit to skip the stop and proceed to the next intermediate stop. For example, Chicago to say New York... I don't do the toll roads, but specify intermediate stops that take me over US30 > I71 > I76 > I80. This is route that I have saved in the unit, and can call up with a few keystrokes.

Enroute, you may encounter delays for example, and need to select a different nightly destination. You can use your available time and speed to calculate how far you can get for the day, and search the map for a suitable parking locations. Select the location you want to use as a "Via" and it will route you to that location without loosing the rest of your route. Handy. The trip planner has a newer feature added in a recent upgrade that allows you to compare two routes.

Just use the map to follow your current road up to the highway you want, and select the on ramp as a destination. If the unit is set to shortest route, it will give you a solution to get you to the point you selected. Then, make sure the route is what you want. I'll say it again, you shouldn't be using any of these devices to make these decisions for you. I've never had my RM unit route me into something dangerous like a low overpass, but these are things you should be looking at before punching the brake handle. If for no other reason, you should have a Rand McNally Motor Carriers Atlas, and be using it to do some initial trip planning... that can be carried over and used to program your GPS... no matter whose unit you choose to purchase.

Dieselboss Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.