The Abilene Experience from 0-solo

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by trkrmichael, Dec 23, 2017.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Let me explain the training time frame and pay questions for you. The reason I want to take this time and explain it is two fold, one, I’ve been a trainer here four 4 years. Two, I am very knowledgeable about the policies pertains to training.

Let’s start with training. It’s a 3 phase process. Stage 1 which someone like yourself just starting out, will fall into. It runs solely on your progress. The company wants to see progress so it usually runs 2-4 weeks. During this stage, you will start out driving 4 hours per day with a gradual increase to get you up to 11 hours. There will be very little night driving at the start and no overnight driving by the trainee. There is a big push by the trainer to get the trainee up on all the policies and procedures.

Stage 2 is a gradual progress into night driving, then over night driving. A week into stage 2 you will be running as a team. Again, your progress determines how quick you get to the next stage. There will be a lot of customer interaction in this stage.

Stage 3 is 2 round trips to Brooklynn NY and other northeast cities. This stage is the shortest, less then one week.

After stage one is a 25 question verbal test given by safety, same as stage 2. After stage 3 is a road test.

I have had trainees in my truck as short as one month and as long as 2.5 months. Again, you won’t or will graduate to the next stage until safety and the trainer are in agreement it’s time.

Now pay....

Stage 1 is $500 per week
    Stage 2 is $600 per week
    Stage 3 is $700 per week

The good thing about Abilene? If you go through the whole process and decide to quit, you owe them nothing.
    Another thing, once you are officially hired as a trainee, you get paid whether the truck moves or not. If we breakdown, or we get to spend a night in Richmond because of shop issues, you get paid. Hope this answers your questions.

trkrmichael and Lonesome Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lil penny

lil penny Light Load Member

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Yes thank you.You said as a " trainee" I get paid for " downtime "...does that apply if I'm a full time driver as well?

4. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2009
    Lake Worth, FL.
    Breakdown, yes. Layover, case by case. In the 5+ years I’ve been here, I have never been layed over. As a trainer I get other perks a solo driver doesn’t get. I have always been amazed at this company deadheading a truck to get a load. I never worry about getting empty on a Friday afternoon in order to run over the weekend. Countless times I’ve been empty at 3pm on a Friday in Chicago, needing to take my 10, then waking up with a 535 deadhead to grab a load at our West Memphis yard.

5. lil penny

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Ok,i don't follow all that jargon,but sounds positive.Im a 49yr.old Eastern TN. male no wife no children and am anxious to get going truckin

Lonesome Thanks this.
  6. trkrmichael

trkrmichael Bobtail Member

Oct 3, 2017

Training pay starts at $500 a week or did for me it’s a progressive pay scale and one of the best I’ve found in my research the best bet is call one of our recruiters they are extremely informative and will answer any questions regarding pay Experience matters so if you have some share that with the recruiting staff in regards to endorsements don’t over do it unless it’s required they aren’t points towards higher pay unless you need them Abilene requires none except air brakes and a Class A , when it comes time to renew your license you’ll be renewing your endorsement wether you need them or not so go easy unless they are required where you plan to work

7. trkrmichael

Oct 3, 2017
    JohnBoy nailed it best trainer you can hope to land with in my opinion his knowledge is a gold mine!!

tony97905 and JohnBoy Thank this.
  8. lil penny

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Ok kool thank you...I'm not aware of a air brake endorsement...thought that was part of general knowledge exam I've already passed for my permit

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  9. trkrmichael

Oct 3, 2017
    Every state is different but yes should be a part of general CDL A

JohnBoy Thanks this.
  10. lil penny

Nov 17, 2017
    East Tennessee
    Ok thanks again, I actually submitted an online application with Abilene today.I have two speeding tickets one November 2015 and one July 2017...don't know yet if that will disqualify me.

11. trkrmichael

Oct 3, 2017
    best of luck I think the points are whats important not sure of the threshold of points but Im sure if they can work it out for you they will, if you sign on with us be sure to let me know so we can meet up one day on the yard for a handshake ..best of luck driver

Michael

lil penny Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.