The adventures of 'Team Klingon'

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lady K, Dec 10, 2010.

1. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    You've heard the adage "Necessity is the mother of invention"....you guys have it down to a fine art!

Lady K Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

LOL :D It's been fun... (And a bit of a challenge!!)

4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

Well I got to see husband's truck yesterday, he was needing to have the throwout bearing greased, it was squacking, at a TA about 50 miles from where we live. I hopped in the car, and we sat and tried to eat while waiting for approval, etc from company. They finally got it finished.

His truck is not like yours, I couldn't figure out why he said he didn't have any room for stuff; well now I know why, the bed is almost up against the back of the seats, there are no tall cabinets next to them and the only cabinets there is is a strip of very small ones above the length of the bed.

There are no back windows, just those little shotgun slots that open. It doesn't even have the curtain like the volvo that went around the front and sidewindows so you could use the front seats to sit in without everyone being able to see in. It is a pretty truck as far as color and the outside front end style, but geez is this the best they can do to save fuel.

He did end up getting a crock pot at Walmart until he can get his microwave back from his sister's house. I told him he could put a can of soup in it too if he wanted, still in the can and heat it up, if he popped the top some. He got some of the bags of frozen pasta and meat meals also. Fixed one today that he liked. the crock sat behind the passenger seat on the floor.

The lights are a good idea. The volvo had a side light up above the passenger side seat that I would read by, someone had painted it with some translucent red paint (nail polish?), it kept it from glaring enough where it didn't bother hubby driving at night, but I could still see enough to read.

We used to have chihuahua's when I was a kid, loved the size; wish I had one now instead of the beagle, but I inherited it from my daughter so for now I have to stick with her. Well they do keep you warm too.

Good idea of the refrigetator too. He bought one of the igloo brands from the t/s, we have not had good luck with the Coleman brand. He says the igloo is a lot colder too. There won't be anyplace he can put the one his other one like yours unless he did take the passenger seat out and had it fastened down.

Well laid plans awray as usual, he got going this morning after spending the night around Hammond, LA, and ended up with a flat on the trailer. Wasted a lot of his time waiting for road service, so he had to quit driving tonight where he coud find room at the inn which ended up being an Exxon with room. Plannig on taking his 34 and then start out and finish the load for dlvr Monday.

Be safe.

Lady K Thanks this.
  5. easygoin'91

easygoin'91 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Seattle,WA
    Hey team Klingon I just read this thread over the last few days when I was not working and must say thanks. I had a million questions I thought I would have to figure out on the road, as the problem came up, thanks for everything I will be starting with central the first week of March in Fontana, CA if all goes well and I must say you put put my mind at ease Lady K it will be hard work I know but know I have a much more realistic idea of what too expect with central then I did prior to reading this. I owe you both a dinner or two when I get out on the road drive safe you two and really thanks again. - easygoin'91

NavigatorWife and Lady K Thank this.
  6. easygoin'91

easygoin'91 Bobtail Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Seattle,WA
    sorry just worked 14 hour shift forgot to proof read lol....

7. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Easygoing91 can't wait to meet you:) See you out here !

8. Stewey1982

Stewey1982 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Hey Team Klingon,

I'm curious if you could shed some more light on CRS. I have read your entire thread from 1-151. Can you tell me what their rider policy is? I live close to the Conley, GA terminal. I have been off the road for about 5 years. I know I'm going to have to go with a trainer for 5 weeks, but once I get solo are they pretty consistent with miles? I see that you are L/O and have had some break downs and other personal family matters that have impacted your mileage. Do you know of any solo operators and is recruiting telling the truth about avg 2500-3000 miles a week for solos? That is the standard paul bearer line I'm getting from EVERY company I talk to. The recruiter said if I can pass a road test I won't have to do the 2 week refresher. What does the road test consist of? Is it the usual shifting, downshifting, making turns or is there more to it?

9. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

WOW... You read it all?? I'm impressed... Or you're a glutton for punishment ;)

The rider policy I believe is for a person 10 years old or older... I think you only pay once, but for each person you need to fill out a new form. Check with the company for details...

Solo miles will start slow until they see you can manage your time and make 'on-time' deliveries... If you aren't happy with your miles and you've been doing your communications with your DM, you can work up the chain of command and get a new DM, or after you prove yourself you can get on a dedicated fleet...

The road test is just 'can you control the truck' type of test... Watch corners, turning and GOAL when backing and backing into a space.

10. Stewey1982

Stewey1982 Light Load Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Oh yeah, I'm also wondering if CRS is a true 48 state carrier or will I be stuck on the east coast? I like to run out west and all around. I really don't want regional and I was wondering how often do you go into jersey, NYC, and the northeast?. Not my favorite places to go, but will if I have to. Do they have good lengths of haul for Solos? I would go back to Crete but they do mostly regional hauls 400-500 miles. I like to get 700-800 mile avg but understand some short ones will fall in there

11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

There are only two states we haven't been in yet... Maine and Vermont, but we have friends that have, so as a company we do go there. So yes, Central runs all 48. I've know several people that have been and are very happy as solos... However you will get told all about the glories of leasing/training... No you are NOT required to lease or train... And NO they are not suppose to lower your miles if you don't... So if your miles do show a MEASURABLE decrease, be sure to speak up that its noticed. In a good way... Don't become bitter and grumbling. They have worked with us, and we have moved around to find a place where we 'fit' better. Just remember, it is a STARTER company. They are use to people coming in, schooling, training and some not even making it the first year, let alone the first 6 months... If you can stick it out, they will notice and work to keep you. Now not all the hauls as a solo will be LONG hauls... There will be the 150/300/400 mile runs... But then there are the longer ones too :) Although we can only say how it's been for us, and we run team.

PS... We live in CA and get home (20-28hrs anyway) weekly... So there are loads that come west ;)

NavigatorWife Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.