The adventures of 'Team Klingon'

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lady K, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Enjoy your hometime, Team Klingon. You've earned it.

Lady K Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Sigh.. 125 miles away from our delivery/pick up and we blew a stear tire... Thank GOD the weather is good!! Waiting now on a service truck in Leeds, AL - I-20 @ exit 140 .... Wave if you drive by :)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  4. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL
    Sure hope you got the tire fixed. And no rain yet at the moment.

5. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

We did... $1400 later... Tire, rim, labor and mileage... Not a cheap experience!! NOR one I want to repeat!! I'm still farting foam... LOL!

vikingswen Thanks this.
  6. NavigatorWife

NavigatorWife Road Train Member

Apr 30, 2012
    Cental West, AL

It is expensive. The last one hubby had like that did damage to the skirting also. He did call the law so they could come out and make sure the traffic skirted him some, so they got to earn their keep for the afternoon. It was past a busy exit when the steer blew.

7. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

In the light of day we did loose part of the skirt and 'stuff'... But since we've had this truck we've changed to plastic bumper out twice... Plastic side skirt and clearance light 'should' be no problem right? Didn't think about calling the highway patrol for lights... But no harm, no foul :D

8. NoCoCraig

NoCoCraig Road Train Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Chattanooga, Tennessee
    A steer tire blowout was the scariest thing that has happened to me driving a truck. No warning, just
    boom and we were going left in a hurry. Pretty common for it to cause a roll over.

9. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

NOW you tell me!! I can see how it could though... Mine wanted to turn to the right (left tire blew), which is the direction I WANTED to go, just not that quickly!! Especially as it was a freeway over crossing :/ I probably did more damage to the rim, but didn't want to stop on the over crossing... All in all I'm pretty proud of myself... I didn't panic (just shaken afterwards), did light stab breaking and made it off the road in one piece and right side up!

vikingswen and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  10. Lastkidpicked

Lastkidpicked Medium Load Member

Aug 17, 2007
    Colorado
    Nice job, Team Klingon. Glad everyone is safe.

And I have a question for you:

Back when I started with Central (we were #### Simon Trucking back then) they were trying to find ways to deal with the driver shortage. The big thing was trying to bring in baby boomers retiring from other jobs.

Central had a program called "Super Solo", where a team (usually husband and wife) were dispatched more like a solo driver, even though both could drive.

The benefit for the team: More time to see the sights. For example you could spend a few extra hours visiting a relative, and then make up that time by having the second driver log some hours that night.

The benefit for the company: The driver has a built in spotter and also navigator. No issue of the lead driver running out of hours short of the delivery point.

Do you know of anybody who runs this way? Would YOU ever run this way? It was about the time that automatic transmissions came out and if you wanted to run super solo Central would spec an auto transmission truck for you as kind of a signing bonus.

Thanks in advance for your opinion on this!

11. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

There is a team I know of that during the winter they run super solo... During the fine weather months they run harder... So yeah, just need to get with your DM and let them know... At least that was the case BEFORE Swift... If we got paid more per mile, yeah we would run that way. However, we have bills to pay :(

Lastkidpicked Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.