The adventures of 'Team Klingon'

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lady K, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

I'm excited... Everyone one (well most anyways) says direct shippers are the way to go... We we are hauling for one now, and I think (during their season) it will work out well. We went up to OR/WA because we heard rates were through the roof, but we didn't want to haul Christmas trees... Mess/smell/pitch etc... So while looking for 'other' loads I cam across a post on a load board from a 'direct shipper'... For kicks and giggles I called. They were up front and stated they could NOT compete with Christmas trees, but if we worked with them now, they would offer the same rate to us during a slow trucking time... We gave them a rate we were happy pulling for and we are on our first load for them. So far it's been awesome! Went to the first pick up and we were told it would take 3-4 hours to load... They actually offered us their car if we wanted to run into town for shopping or what ever!! Second pick up, at the owners location, we got to meet him and a tour of his facility... Really down to earth neat guy :D So their season lasts until February, so until after then we will be heading to OR frequently... I think we will plan for a March vacation!! LOL! (Why the picture went sideways I have no clue!) (PS... This load... FULL truck = 16,000 pounds!)

Attached Files:

scottied67 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Note to self... Bare root trees are just plain messy... LOL! We didn't want the pitch and needles of Christmas trees, but we sure got the muddy walls instead!

So we made it home for Thanksgiving Day... Which was nice. We are now heading to Reno... Deliver tonight and we were SUPPOSE to pick up tonight as well, but that was delayed until tomorrow... Right in time for a storm across the Sierras... Sigh... But the delivery in Portland is the same, so it's just the snow and the overnight parking locations that are different.

The 'direct customer' that we have WILL have more loads for us, but they won't be ready until the end of the week, so going to find some short hoppers up in the OR/WA/N. CA area until then.

We also did a major purchase of 4 new drive tires (super singles)... We probable could have gotten another month out of them, but with winter/snow/ice etc coming... I rather be safe than sorry!

scottied67 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  4. Easttexan

Easttexan Bobtail Member

Feb 20, 2012
    Longview,Texas
    So very nice to see that y'all are still making a go of it. Drive safe.

Lady K Thanks this.
  5. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Oh My... First time delivering bare root trees... 20 stops... And we get to call and set up appts!! Klingon doesn't have any hair left! WEEE!

6. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

DH miles 3809
    LD miles 19903
    T miles 23712
    gross inc $69,990.00
    rate/T-mile rate/L-mile
    $2.95 $3.52

These are the totals we've had since we started under our own authority in June... So far so good - its just the TIME it took to get this... 6 months... that's less than 4000 miles & $11,665 (gross)/month... but hey, we are still in business and getting our processes down...

123456, jomar68, wulfman75 and 2 others Thank this.
  7. Clyde07

Clyde07 Heavy Load Member

May 28, 2013
    Love to hear results like this. Keep on keepin' on. You'll have to get a bigger calculator this time next year.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Lady K Thanks this.
  8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Well we survived the 20 stopper, and back for another 14 :)

TruckDuo and wulfman75 Thank this.
  9. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    That sounds like my runs when I used to do floral greens and evergreens. Good exercise since it was all hand offload too.

10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

We got smart for the second go-around... Had a friend that lives in LA meet us and help to unload... We cranked out all 14 stops in one freaken day!! LOL... And we are back for more (talk about being gluttons for punishment!) :) 11 stops this time, ending in Las Vegas, NV. Yep, Christmas away from home again :( but we want to retain our 'customer' and he seems to like us :) so here we sit, getting our trees on ... LOL!

11. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I used to do the LA flower market and go from place to place there at night. Interesting neighborhood for sure, but never had any problems. I wouldn't even close the doors and just go. The good thing was we had keys and access codes to all our customers. That made offloading a breeze since we did not have to be there during business hours.

I will do Christmas and New Year up North again like last year too. I have managed to miss every holiday in 2013 and 2014. I am not a holiday person and usually don't care, but the girl friend does struggle with it at times.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.