The adventures of 'Team Klingon'

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Lady K, Dec 10, 2010.

1. irishwarrior

irishwarrior Medium Load Member

Dec 21, 2011
    williamsburg iowa
    i get my fuel card tomorrow and go out for on the road training on monday for 10 days and if all goes well i get my own truck

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

WOO HOO! Congrats 👍

4. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Ooo! My first post on the new site! FINALLY found my thread

Well we are kicking back at the Jubitz in Portland, waiting until 0500 to do our second pick before we head back south again... Been doing a lot of I-5 and loving it. Of course the rates could be better, and the loads could have less sitting time, but all in all we're still here! It's coming up to a year now that we've had our own authority.

One thing I'm rather proud about, we actually had a customer ask for us! Just finished his load today. They are again happy and will have more coming up in a couple months. They are a smaller nursery, but really nice folks! We've also been doing some beer loads coming north... They might not pay the spot market rates, but we've had weekly loads, and we pass by the house frequently with those runs. When we first started our authority, we tried chasing the spot market and found almost every black hole there was!! Having a steady customer is much nicer. We're also making some connections with a couple brokers, at least I hope so... I know it's business for them, just like its business for us, but they seem like honest folk... At least so far

So off to cruise the new/old forum and see what folks are talking about...

rachi, heyns57 and TruckDuo Thank this.
  5. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

Well the Seattle area was a black hole! The dangers of having commitments far away from each other. We unloaded in Seattle but needed to be back is Paso Robles by Friday... Spent almost two days trying to find a load that would get us where we needed to be, NOTHING! So ended up deadheading 880 miles! Yeah, we could have called and said, gee we can't make it back down there, but that's just not who we are... So we eat the cost and service our customer and follow through with our commitment... One of the costs of doing business...

MJ1657 Thanks this.
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Wow, you guys have come a long way since when you first started Truckin'.

Lady K Thanks this.
  7. JMichael

JMichael Light Load Member

May 16, 2015
    How is it running your own authority ? Profitable ?

8. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

LOL - depends on what you call profitable :)

We still have our home - so in that way its working for us. Do I wish we made more - yes. We probably could, if we followed the spot market more, but we want to stay on the west coast. The trade off for being near family. There's a lot of back office/paperwork/permit stuff that if we leased on to a company we wouldn't have to deal with - which looking back, would be nice - but we are here now.

What is nice is we are getting 'known'... I'm hoping that's a good thing :D If we can weather it through this summer season, I think we will do OK.

9. unloader

unloader Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2013
    Have you guys ever looked into schneiders choice program? Might be something to think about if you guys ever get disenchanted with the own authority deal. Either way best of continued success to y'all.

unloader

Lady K Thanks this.
  10. Lady K

Lady K Road Train Member

We will keep that in mind, thank you :)

11. TruckDuo

TruckDuo Road Train Member

Oct 21, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    You guys should be more open to where you go so your business can be very profitable while the weather is good then maybe during the winter you can do loads that get you home more often.

Been following your thread since the beginning and would hate for something to go wrong and put you right back where you started. We're rooting for you !

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.