The art and theory of deadheading. Thoughts and Opinions.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by TallJoe, Aug 27, 2017.

1. stayinback

stayinback Road Train Member

Jan 24, 2014
    chicago,il
    But shouldn't that be the Norm for a Reefer?

As I DO NOT handle any reefer/Kosher freight(Never have)..........Isn't there hundreds of extra $$$ Involved in these kind of deliveries?

Unloading Fees- Higher insurance costs- 50/50 Freight claims- Reefer fuel and Maintenance.
    Am I missing anything else?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Up here tanker mileage rates are ok. Nothing spectacular but hourly rates are good and thats where the o/o seem to make their money. There's only a few that pay % and they take a big cut. You get 63-65% usually.

Hurst Thanks this.
  4. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    You got a great deal on that reefer from IN to NY because it's hot, hot, hot. Van there is too. Chicago is about the same. $3 a mile is nothing. Trucks are tight this week so don't leave money on the table drivers.

Oscar the KW and JL of Indiana Thank this.
  5. Drake.r

Drake.r Light Load Member

May 15, 2015
    I don't consider my empty miles to be dead head it's part of the haul if I did get my hands on a back haul it would severely jeopardize my first commitment

I'm in NV leased to a company for percentage so with the gallons I can load with my big sleeper 900 and the time I average on the loads I'm running for about 95 an hour

6. boredsocial

boredsocial Road Train Member

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    Reefer haz to Long Island? Jesus christ I thought I had picked miserable freight nobody wanted...

Lepton1 and JL of Indiana Thank this.
  7. JL of Indiana

JL of Indiana Light Load Member

Jul 14, 2017
    Hehehe! You ain't kiddin bud. It's not easy either. Literally pulled a team outta STL. Routinely have to pull out of Chicago. Always blows my mind just how few reefer haz guys our out here. I get it but ####! Puts us on our game especially in these conditions as you can imagine!

It's actually forcing me into changing up my own trucking operation a bit. Had to find haz insurance, drivers gotta pass tests and backgrounds, 70k per reefer doesn't put a warm fuzzy feeling in my belly either. But, what other people don't want to do, ends up working out great for those that do!

Ruthless Thanks this.
  8. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Didn't read all the replies but your most valuable ability is your availability. If you're loaded or detained on a garbage load that causes you to decline a good load... well that would suck

Lepton1 Thanks this.
  9. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    There's riches in niches...

Ruthless Thanks this.
  10. boredsocial

Apr 13, 2014
    Louisville, KY
    This is incredibly true on the brokerage side as well. It's the reason why working garbage freight is terrible for us too. Instead of working loads that honestly may or may not even be profitable you could be prospecting for customers that would actually give you a chance of surviving.

Opportunity cost and EV are two super important concepts in business. So is diminishing returns.

rank and Ruthless Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.