The Best CB and antennae combo that you can get over the counter?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Flatbedder 1966, Jan 6, 2019.

1. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    True....
    15 mi and more is possible and can be done without gobs of power..

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I can hear more now than I could in the 2013, so I'm leaving it alone until winter is spent.

The am/fm/weather in dash works much better, too, I figure there are less connections and those are more carefully made. The early Cascadias were the worst, according to what I've found out from shops.

4. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Yeah so i hear as well....Im guessing it was cause the ant were attached to a small hunk of metal in behind the fibreglass of the roof....Never had one or even looked into it so i dont know forsure..Those mounts were nothing either,seen a few of them all broke up or hangin off a few cabs.

5. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Ok, I'm just saying it is possible to get good performance from a stock factory antenna. But not for long! They have the therory right and can achieve acceptable performance, with a splitter no less. But don't expect it to last longer than a month. They cheaped out on the trivial things.. likely the pl-259 conector. The worst of the worst crimp-on style.

If you are in a brand new truck it will last long enough for you to get a feel for it if it's going to be your thing or not. A used truck? Don't bother, waste of time, .need to run your own coax.

6. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Let me tell you the automatic squelch is a godsend. Like the ronco electric food dehydrator, set it and forget it.

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  7. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    With these new trks that statement describes the entire trk..lol

skellr Thanks this.
  8. craig_sez

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    Just tured mine on to try it for the 1st time..East of toronto it gets quiet all the way to novascotia...

9. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Now understand SUPER WEAK signals you will not hear but 99% of what you DO hear is a legit transmitted signal. If you need to hear the super weak signals keep turning the auto squelch know clockwise slowly and it will kick it out of auto sq and into manual with it set super low and you'll hear everything.

10. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    When you “think” it’s gone quiet is the point you’ll want the WEST MOUNTAIN RADIO CLEARSPEAKER.

I had skip from all over the country last night running eastern Oklahoma after re-installing it. Turned off Squelch and max’d RF Gain.

Voices on top of voices. Make a curve on the highway and some will fade out and others will fade in.

Might be faint, but it’s out there.

Backed things down to where its just the guys within 100-miles.

So, Craig, my little Uniden has a better receiver than a Fine Tune 955 Stryker, huh? (And it’s powered off factory binding posts).

Consider the other tools: CMC choke & filter, 12V filtering at both ends, etc. They make a difference. (But none of that is in place at present with the cubby setup I’m running. With my back-of-sleeper antenna).

The fuel card points UNIDEN scores!!

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019
    slim6596 Thanks this.
  11. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    And (whew, almost forgot) the factory coax is screwed up.

(So, what’ll it be like when I’ve got the big dog Galaxy back in here? All the other tools in place? Game, set, match, it’s looking).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.