The Best CB and antennae combo that you can get over the counter?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Flatbedder 1966, Jan 6, 2019.

1. idriveaholden

idriveaholden Super Heavy Hauler

Mar 14, 2018
    I’ve been having problems with the coax in my truck . Being a company driver and never knowing when you’re going to switch trucks..

Thinking of getting maybe just a magnet mount or a mirror mount so I can run my own coax and be able to grab everything easily if something changes without notice, plus having a back up or be able to use it on my personal car or truck.
    Any knowledge in here on the best magnet mount antenna or whip for something like this ? Wilson ? Anyone used copper electronics ?might be an option for the op also..

2. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    I guess we will all find out....When im east bound from toronto i pick up more from ny state and east than i do in eastern canada..
    I dont need to hear guys 100 mi away...
    If your rec is that good,then your one up on most.....Still dont know if i really need a dsp though..Want maybe a different thing but i have to be smart with my $ and toys for now anyways..
    When my shed shows up and gets placed ill have to rent a trl and move all my garage stuff and my bike out here..Get a security system added that will extend from my home to shed and get my bike back into street form....
    Yeah im shocked your gettin that kinda range with ant ant back there on crap coax...
    Keep us all posted..Like to hear more results..

3. Slowmover1

Slowmover1 Road Train Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Fort Worth
    Hell, you know I wrote it that way just to mess with you.

And the 100 mile thing lost it’s sarcastic emoji (Skip was New Mexico to New York last night).

But the rest is spot on

Oh, yeah, I forgot to amplify the receive signal!

Sure, it gets noisier then . . and I crank in more filtration. Adjust the Gain and Squelch and I can come right up underneath that voice and highlight it. It’s often that I can THEN hear the other guy he’s talking to.

DSP is a helluva tool.

I’ve felt glad for you every time I think about you and your house. It’s a great thing (mine is now on wheels).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  4. craig_sez

craig_sez Road Train Member

Sep 5, 2013
    novascotia,Canada
    To be honest..I was sayin bs in my head but i was being polite...All i thought was skip and i know with ant back there that rec sucked.....Thats like the fella that was here sayin he was gettin wicket range but didnt say he was pushin 1500 watts so im haveing doubts when people say extreme ranges unless there is something not being told...Ex...Big power,100ft.tall tower or sittin in a area where elevation is really up there..

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
    Meteorgray Thanks this.
  5. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    Really depends upon the price you want to pay. I have been running a General Lee radio, with dual Monkey Made antennas, mini 8 coax, and a Road King Mic. A little more expensive for the radio, antennas, and mic but i have had mine for over 20 years with no problems. Never an issue with getting out long distance, or anyone hearing me. Good quality mic that is clear every time.

6. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    On a newer "plastic" truck?

7. Powder Joints

Powder Joints Subjective Prognosticator

Sep 25, 2007
    Rosamond, SoCal
    I know I sound like a francis salesman, but I have ran these antennas on everything freightliner since 1998 or so never had a tuning issue and they worked well, not as good as a Monkey or a Predator, much mucho less dinero also. I try to stay with mounts that attach to the mirrors if possible, the back of the cab is difficult it's too close to the cab unless it up in the fiberglass dome area. I think the best CB antenna I have used was probably the Monkey made, but I did not find them to be durable, they seem to brake off at the mounting connector, But worked great till they did.

8. Triple Digit Bullhauler

Triple Digit Bullhauler Heavy Load Member

Sep 6, 2012
    001 anywhere USA
    No one a real truck made of steel, and west coast mirrors. None of my fleet is over 2000 year trucks all big hood Peterbilts. I refuse to have a newer truck for several reasons. Plasti-glass trucks, crappy antenna placement, and no real grounding due to fiberglass/plastic.

9. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I figured they were like your picture. Your setup works good on trucks like that.

10. mike5511

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    I can't knock the 5x5. I've done a lot talking on one. I've still got a new Francis 96" Amazer and an old ratty one that do a good job as well.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.