The correct way to merge in a construction zone?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by basedinMN_, Aug 21, 2022.

1. PaulMinternational

PaulMinternational Heavy Load Member

Aug 23, 2022
    This is why traffic backs up beyond the last exit or two. Simply because you can't figure out that all those cars won't fit into one lane. Then beyond the last exit there are no merge signs so everyone is left confused and using both lanes. This causes the traffic that would normally get off at that exit to just add to the congestion. And so it continues forming back farther and farther all because you haven't a clue!
    40 years ago you would have been laughed out of your truck.
    I have seen traffic backed up in one lane for over 10 miles with you fools refusing to move to the other lane. Effectively blocking 70% of the traffic that would have used the 2 exit ramps that are both over 6 miles from the merge point. In turn your back up built from the second ramp back an additional 4 or 5 miles and backed up the split and then continued to build back to the next exit effectively backing up the entire corridor just because some idiot thinks they should sit in one lane no matter what.
    Yes use both lanes if you can't see the merge point, don't block the exit lane if your not going to exit and can avoid doing so, merge respectfully at the merge point, let others merge respectfully and traffic will flow sooner rather than later.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    Yes he is part of the problem!

4. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    No just an other butt hole who needs some lessons the old fashioned way in the back corner of the truck stop.

5. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    If we are discussing road construction lane closures again then it must be summer

6. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I don't know WTF you're talking about. Maybe you've got me confused with someone else. Grab a couple Werther's Originals and relax before you have a stroke.

7. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    Don’t get your panties in an uproar! If I accidentally hit the wrong person’s post when trying to quote sorry, if I misunderstood your post sorry.
    Don’t know what a weathers is so I’ll pass. As far as the stroke it’s gonna take a little more than a couple posts on a forum to get me excited.

8. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    So you want to merge early?
    What does that do to the traffic?
    What happens when the other lane moves and yours isn’t?
    Not talking about you but others who switched too early and think everyone else should do the same.

9. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    We're all doing the speed limit.

"Right lane closed two miles ahead."

I get over.

We're all still doing the speed limit.

Not sure what you're not getting. All I can figure is you're making some kind of assumption based on one of my posts, and now you've got an inaccurate picture painted in your head.

I also maintain average speed through stop and go traffic so I don't have to speed up and slow down constantly. Does that piss you off too?

10. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    This is the way I approach a lane closure.
    Even if I'm faster I'll back out to move over, get my spacing and hopefully roll through.
    Folks act like they will lose their mind if forced to slow for anything.

11. PaulMinternational

Aug 23, 2022
    I think some of us are talking about different extremes of congestion and back ups.
    At the same time we have to consider the amount of traffic we have on the road today and how quickly that 2 miles backs up because as you know 90% of the early merge drivers don’t hold the speed limit after they merge. Then you have the second guessers weaving in and out causing others to panic brake. Then what happens when it’s backed up past the lane closed ahead sign?

No matter how you slice it using both lanes longer helps avoid longer back ups if others are respectful at the merge point.

The description I gave was a repeating issue for days. I drove that route everyday back then. Towards the end of the week they put signs up that said use both lanes to merge point and signs that pointed out the actual merge point “ Merge here” lane ends in so many feet. Guess what happend to that big long traffic back up. It all but disappeared except for about a mile going into the construction zone at the peak of rush hour and it cleared quicker.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.