The Cryo Hauler Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cali kid, Mar 16, 2023.

1. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Yup glade I got in early at our current terminal, predictions say we will be the biggest in the country over the coming years.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Dennixx --

Above...in your previous post....when you say, "...most just mark off in snowy conditions"....well, just how "snowy" is that? Are they waiting until most/all roads have been plowed/cleared...and then treated...before they start driving again--or something else?

Also: in the above pic you posted....that pavement looks pretty clear....are you driving there pretty close to the speed limit? If not--why not?

-- Lual

4. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    That is fresh snow followed by a strong north wind.
    Road is completely iced over.
    I am running around 50 in a 65 zone at 80K. Felt pretty good. Going slower gives more time to react if I spin out or start to cross up.
    Averaged about 47 mph on the trip to SD.
    It was a milage pay trip but we are able to convert to hourly if we can not maintain a 58 average as that speed equals our hourly pay.

Others don't have the winter experience I have. Most just take the day off and come in the next day for their regular shift.
    Any snow is slick but a light snow with just a couple inches is the worst because folks don't slow down!
    Rather have 6 plus as it is a equalizer.

I've full confidence in my skills and will run a old 2 lane to avoid the others on the interstate.
    I actually like winter driving just not a fan of the cold and wearing long underwear for the offload..lol

5. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Dennixx --

Above....it reads like you're running a totally iced up road...at approx 50 mph.

To do that successfully....are you running with special winter tires...or something like that?

I'm just not sure how a driver runs on icy roads (without chains) at those speeds...or at any speed?

I take it that's not something you would recommend for most of the rest of us....?

-- Lual

6. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Just running regular tires. Had singles on it I believe.
    A winter driver understands the principals and limitations of traction.
    You will not have a problem if you don't exceed these limits.
    Easy on all inputs and most importantly maintain distance.
    Exactly why most require experience
    It's been a long winter up here.
    20230309_172353.jpg
    20230302_160450.jpg 20230302_162422.jpg 20221220_180615.jpg 20230302_162422.jpg

7. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Boy I hear on the winter weather conditions as most of our drivers don’t have OTR experience. But this winter has been ruff even in California. Lots of snow and rain so I’ve been running the road more than usual since a lot of guys aren’t comfortable with it. I can’t imagine unloading a regular cryo trailer in snow though that rear cabinet drops the temps even more.

8. lual

lual Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2020
    SW Georgia
    @Dennixx --
    Cool pix -- thanks much for sharing!!! :occasion5:

I can easily relate to why you like driving at that time of year.

I've done some winter driving, already.

Yes, it's cold.

But it is beautiful out there. :grin:

-- Lual

9. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Somewhere on here somebody posted about the contact patch and traction limits.

Basically you only have so much to give and need to learn where that limit is and not to breech it.
    As a lifelong motorcycle rider I can relate that theory to trucks and winter driving.

10. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Whereabouts in Texas is that plant, and will they be expanding their fleet to cover the growth? If it's around here (Corpus) I'd be interested in seeing what they offer.

Welcome back, @Cali kid !

11. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Thanks good to be back!
    So I know AirProducts has a new one in La Porte TX but that kinda far for you.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.