The day 6.24$ changed my life

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Fixer Qc, May 3, 2023.

1. Fixer Qc

Fixer Qc Bobtail Member

May 3, 2023
    Hello everyone,

I was practically born in a sleeper behind my father, doing milk runs stopping at every producer in dead end rural snowy roads... It was those days in the early 80's, he was getting paid in loose so he got only the ####ty runs no-one else wanted. At that time he was so miserable that he made me promise I would never reach the " rock-bottom " he called " going on the Trucks "... Ugly 80's...

So I did just that, worked 22 years as a Mechanic, Automotive, Industrial, Heavy, Forklift, Small Engines... Spent my life fixing everyone else's problems and somehow a couple of years ago I got tired of it and didn't know at all what the heck I would do with my life... Became a gamer and spent the last 3 years playing MMO's and stuff till my fingers came off and everyone knows these don't lead anywhere good...

Then on a Tuesday morning about a month ago I was zapping on Steam at the weekly deals and saw American Truck Simulator on sale for 6$ and went: I already own a setup for simulation racing, what's the worst that could happen... lose 6$...

( To all of you out there thinking: Not another sim driver that thinks life as a trucker is easy... ) NOT AT ALL... But it got me hooked to the diesel fuel in a major way, re-ignited the glow-plug and shot some Ether down the throttle body in a not so orderly fashion ( Remember I was telling you about early 80's trucks... I was always the one shooting the Ether, my brother was too chicken for the backfires that frizzled you toupet...)

2600$ Later my course for my Class 1 license is paid and done and to the best of my knowledge, 6.24$ will effectively have changed my life... And now you understand my name, pleasure to meet you all.

Fixer Qc

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Welcome, but we're a long way from the 80s

4. LtlAnonymous

LtlAnonymous Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2016
    You should get some experience and go owner op. I find that people who know how to do their own wrenching tend to do better than...guys like me. Lol

5. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    Oh. American and Euro Truck Simulator are fun. My buddy got me them as a joke so I could work on my time off, and...they were good games, honestly. Lol

6. Fixer Qc

Fixer Qc Bobtail Member

May 3, 2023
    After a while of course it gets repetitive so that's why I practice real stuff in game, hauling haz mats, bi-trains and my favorite is playing shunter in the Ports around the west coast, I am getting very decent a backing bi-trains which will come in handy when I get on real ones...
    Unless I find the deal of a lifetime I will stay employee, I am running away from problems ( mechanic ) not towards them... :)

Numb and LtlAnonymous Thank this.
  7. The Green Mountain

The Green Mountain Light Load Member

Nov 24, 2022
    Maine
    This seems the premise for a decent novel.... which genre will it lean toward?!?

8. Snoopycda

Snoopycda Medium Load Member

Jan 22, 2016
    Edmonton Ab.
    They do do better, but with todays trucks, they still lose. I would stay away from O/O if I were you.

LtlAnonymous Thanks this.
  9. LtlAnonymous

Dec 23, 2016
    I'm all set. Not an owner op, but paid like one. Works for me.

ducnut and Snoopycda Thank this.
  10. Fixer Qc

Fixer Qc Bobtail Member

May 3, 2023
    DEF systems are the best thing that happened to the environment in a long while but as far as truck reliability goes, they literally pissed in our tanks.

ducnut Thanks this.
  11. Fixer Qc

Fixer Qc Bobtail Member

May 3, 2023
    I would have to say a hope story, overcoming mental illnesses, that sort of thing...

ducnut and The Green Mountain Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.