The day to day ramblings of the LTL business.

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by MACK E-6, Jan 12, 2016.

1. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Called ahead to a customer yesterday (because its -15 F) I wanted to let him know I was on my way. SO he could warm up his for lift.
    Silly me. I should have just shown up. He didn't even bother plugging it in until I got there. Gave him 30 minutes and 2 attempts to get it started. When he told me I would have to wait another 15, I said no.
    He says so what is my option to get his (metal crated) 4 wheeler out of my trailer. I said we would hold it until his fork lift started. We are only 30 minutes away and travel his road every day.
    But also next time we call 30 minutes ahead, he might think about going out and plugging in his lift before we get there. :mad:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    And you know, if you tried to slap some sense into him, all you would do would be to hurt your hand. We had a few customers with about the mentality of a rock. I sure don't miss dealing with those.

misterG and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I find more and more that thinking proactively does disturbingly little good. :biggrin_25513:

5. Naptown

Naptown Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I love when I get the opportunity to choose where I get to go. Dispatch asked last night if I wanted to go to Paducah, KY or Rockford, IL. Empties out either way, but Paducah would probably be straight back to the barn while Rockford means a guaranteed via to Chicago. Considering I'd have hit town about 0730, I hooked and made tracks for Kentucky before someone changed their mind.

Mike2633, speedyk and Bob Dobalina Thank this.
  6. 4mer trucker

4mer trucker Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2015
    That's wild!

Front yard is in Va and backyard is in Md

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  7. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    Well, better cut by a state line, than by an active train track.

4mer trucker Thanks this.
  8. misterG

misterG Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2009
    ask my dispatcher
    Monday.
    204 miles, 20 stops, under 9 hrs.

Tuesday?
    blew water pump and got inspected by a statie while broken down, still managed 440 miles but only 8 stops just squeaked in under 14 hrs.

9. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    Nice to get subjected to that while you're already out of commission. :rolleyes:

misterG Thanks this.
  10. Big Don

Big Don "Old Fart"

Sep 8, 2007
    Utah's DIXIE!
    I suppose that depends on how you look at it. I'd think that since he's delayed anyway, it would save him some time to get the inspection out of the way.

Isn't there something in the law that says once you've been given an inspection, there is a period of time, where they won't inspect you again?
    I believe there was, back when I was driving. But then I could just be nuts..:confused:

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Well after 3 months of running around with a 13 speed, I used a truck with a 10 today.

I've always advocated a 10, but now I think it sucks.

A new guy, it's always the FNG, took my truck on a 300 mile trip last night, rummaged through the storage box under the sleeper on the drivers side, and managed to somehow knock over and puncture my spare gallon of oil.
    And, of course it is everywhere, including all over the steps, catwalk, sides, back.
    So it's at the shop today.

Need my red button back.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.