The Decline Of Crete Carrier

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by sledge, May 10, 2008.

1. trickshot

trickshot Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Ochlocknee, GA
    I used to be a southeast regional driver as I wanted to be home more often.
    With Ostergard, SE regional became RTO12. Required time out 12 days. No increase in miles or hometime. Just stay out longer and run out of hours in 5 days. Do reset on road, get home after 12 days,{if you stay on dispatch) for a grand 34 hours. By the time you take care of the honey-dos, it is back to work for another 2000 mile week.

Wonderful Job...........

mje Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. franktaylor

franktaylor Light Load Member

Apr 8, 2010
    manchester, tn
    i love the evertrucker thread. i'm heading off to shaffer in marietta on monday. i'm trying to get through the whole thread before i go but man it's long. i'm on page 240 or so now. i only hope i become half as good at time management as evertrucker

mje Thanks this.
  4. Dryver

Dryver Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2008
    Sioux Falls, SD
    There is a way to truck for money and there is a way to truck as a job, 2 totally different things. Every company has a their system, we are limited by log books. The drivers that figure out how to make the system work within the bounderies of the log book make the good money. Not all drivers are going to figure this out just in the same way a class of kids in high school have grades from A to F, the same applies in a group of truckers. Some get it, some don't, It is the way the world turns. Not insulting anyone here, it is the same in all industries. Trucking is different because we have drivers with PHDs all the way to drivers who dropped out in 6th grade. Other industries filter their staff so workers with such varied backgrounds do not compete, trucking is different. BUT, attitude and effort make a bigger difference in trucking, more so than qualifications..

5. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I agree with you Dryver, some can get the miles while others can't with the same or similar situations. Managing your hrs is important, and i have seen some that manage them well, while others can't and are constantly sitting around complaining. Sometimes I think if they spent as much time figuring out how to be more productive instead of whining, they could also be doing well.
    Sometimes, however it doesn't matter what happens. I'm currently on a 650 mile trip with 3 days to deliver. Wasn't allowed to tcall anywhere, so here we are.

airforcetoo and mje Thank this.
  6. trickshot

trickshot Bobtail Member

Aug 31, 2007
    Ochlocknee, GA
    There is a lot of talk about Crete going to regional freight. Ha Ha
    What they do is pay regional drivers to run NE long haul freight at regional rates, then send national drivers to run regional short runs for national pay.
    All logic has departed Crete's dispatch.
    I used to be southeast regional, but now run all over for SE pay and get less miles than I got running regional. Go figure....................

Just trying to hold out a couple of years to make retirement.

Lot's of luck guys and gals............:biggrin_25513:

mje Thanks this.
  7. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Crete is not like they used to be! They have definitely fallen!

mje Thanks this.
  8. zyk285

zyk285 Medium Load Member

Sep 14, 2010
    North Carolina
    Crete sounds like the next J.B. Hunt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mje Thanks this.
  9. zentrucking

zentrucking Road Train Member

Dec 9, 2008
    Atlanta
    Not nearly as many containers yet ... but otherwise sounds like it.

mje Thanks this.
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    I got accepted to Crete, but I'm pausing because (partly) of the large capital outlay they're going to endure going to paperless logs in the next few years...will this cause Crete to hold the line on driver pay? Plus the mileage figures I'm getting from the drivers I ask out here are really no better than I'm getting at Schneider.

I dunno...maybe I'm just having a case of Snow Burn-out like a lot of folks. I've got about a week until I really need to finalize my decision. :biggrin_25521:

mje Thanks this.
  11. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I think your reason of capital outlay is not really a concern, as they outlay the cash to buy 12-1500 new tractors every year. I'm sure compared to that, new qualcom systems are of no real consequence.
    I don't suppose there will be any raise in pay, as they are already higher than most companies.
    As far as miles, you talk to some not getting them, and others getting plenty.(probably the same at most companies) Personally I have been getting plenty of miles.(almost 12000 in Jan.)

mje, Jmurman and 48Packard Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.