The Decline Of Crete Carrier

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by sledge, May 10, 2008.

1. sargetom

sargetom Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2010
    south jersey
    Decline? what decline? did they have to go into survival mode after the driver had the accident in Florida? I'm sure they did and are probably still feeling the affects of the law suits and settlements stemming from the accident. As I have said before on this thread, I worked for triple C for 7 years. were they the best? No. worst? No. but was CCC a good company to work for? #### right they were when you compare them to the rest of the truck load carriers. knowing what I know of an industry I have been in for 40 yrs as an otr driver, are they still one of the best of the TL carriers? I will say yes, when I look around at what else is out there. As for Tonn having said "dime a dozen"...I have never worked for a company that didn't have a rumor about that being said by someone. that urban legend was around back in the late 90's. I only worked for one company where I actually heard that said by an ops manager type. I gave him a buck and told him to buy 120 drivers.

I found in this business there are good and bad companies, but guess what? found out that the same applies to drivers, too. the same small percentage that change jobs all the time when they don't get their way or find out they are actually expected to work for a paycheck are always running their mouth and ####### and complaining about the company...no matter who they are working for. always 2 sides to the story.

Crete great? No...but if I wasn't retired recently I would go back to work for them before any other TL carrier. to the good guys and gals that get it...safe journey's. to the complainers, go back to the fast food restaurant business or warehouse or big chain store you came from. Trucking has enough issues without your insignificant issues.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bowlwinkle

bowlwinkle Heavy Load Member

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I agree with you, Crete has been good for me, there are days that I question the madness, but overall I do well enough to make me happy. I've made just a little under$60k the last couple years. With the raise we just got, should be around$62k this year. I'm sure things were different in the past, but what wasn't? I'm sure there are much worse out there.

4. federal221

federal221 Heavy Load Member

Mar 29, 2010
    new haven,IN
    I hope I can get around 3,000 with Crete I am new to the
    Company but all my running has been under 400 mile
    Runs for the most part except for 1 1,000 run
    Going to give Crete awhile I'm sure I can average around
    3,000 a week with if I have a 70 too work with

5. bowlwinkle

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I doubt you can average 3000 every week, but I figured my average for the year and it was between 2700 & 2800, don't remember the exact number.

6. xlsdraw

xlsdraw Road Train Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Winter Haven, Florida
    I averaged 2625 per week. 2625 × 52= 136,500. 3000 × 52= 156,000. NO you won't average 3000 per week at Crete or any other large carrier. Most of the posters claim only getting around 120,000 per year which is only 2307 per week.

7. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    When I was a company driver in 1999 (HHMG mileage pay at that time) I put almost 170k miles on the odometer and was paid for 156k miles. 4500 mile weeks were not unheard of. I was able to turn such miles because I lived in DFW area. With "load select" I would take a load to an area that I knew would get me back to TX. I would run hard out and back. Most of the time on the way back I was able to run so hard getting back thru DFW that I would stop at home for 12-24hrs while I waited for my logbook to catch up. As long as the fuel stops matched to within one hour Safety turned a blind eye. Plus we could go over the 70 hr Rule five days in a month. So five days in most months I was hitting close 80hrs. Now if DOT busted us for over hours it was on us to pay the fine (never happened to me) but Safety didn't say a word. Nor did the logbook department.

So to say things have changed, since the 2006 accident in FLA, is an understatement. Then again, the industry as a whole has changed.

8. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Thats kind of a false average, as you don't stay out 52 weeks a year. I ran about 122k last year, or just over 10k a month. Now, if you want to figure just the weeks that I was out the entire 7 days, that average would obviously be much higher. But this is why I don't worry about weeks so much as I do months.

9. bowlwinkle

Aug 27, 2008
    Ankeny, IA
    I watch mine by the month too. Usually around 125k miles, if I divide it by my weeks out(not sure, probably 45-46 weeks) it works out to around 2700 miles per week average. I try to look at it monthly though, it helps to keep my sanity if I have a short week.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2014
    PhillipFlanders, 48Packard and tucker Thank this.
  10. 48Packard

48Packard Ol' Two-stop Shag!

Apr 19, 2009
    Could be anywhere
    Sanity? Does such an animal exist in this industry any longer?

11. jdrentzjr

jdrentzjr Road Train Member

Nov 29, 2007
    All over the USA
    Why yes it does. Over at Poly. :)

Bumper Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.