The Decline Of Crete Carrier

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by sledge, May 10, 2008.

1. bailey

bailey Bobtail Member

Dec 16, 2008
    denver colorado
    WOW, DO YOU READ THE NATIONAL ENQUIRER? CUZ YOU SEEM TO BE INTO GOSSIP:biggrin_25516: AND I KNOW EVERY TERMINAL MANAGER AND I SERIOUSLY DOUBT SOMEONE SAID THAT,,, IF THEY DID THEY ARE TAKING A RISK... THEY ARE NOT OUR "FRIENDS" THEY ARE OUR MGRS..THIS IS OUR PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, WE GET A PAYCHECK...ECT.. THIS IS ALL WATER COOLER CRAP.. THEY HAVE PISSED ME OFF TO NO END BUT THE BOTTOM LINE IS,,WITH THERE TRUCK AND MY HARD WORK I HAVE PAID EVERYTHING OFF AND HAVE AN OK SAVINGS SO YA TAKE THE GOOD WITH THE BAD,,AND TOMORROW THERE GONNA IRK ME AND TUES GONNA BE AWESOME..WHATCHA GONNA DO..ITS LIKE A MARRIAGE..ITS A LOVE HATE RELATIONSHIP...LOL:biggrin_25510:

mje, luvtheroad, dawgfan and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    Have you noticed that most of the big carriers, and I consider Crete to be among them have begun to regionalize if they havent already? This is not a new concept.

I dont think that your comment about drivers quiting is quite right either. Crete has a reputation for driver longivity. The average age is late 40's from what I have learned.

mje Thanks this.
  4. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    I have a good friend who has been with Crete for almost 20yrs. He says that when he hears watercooler gossip or the guy who is gonna quit, he always tells them, here let me introduce you to the TM, thats who you need to talk to. He says it gets pretty quiet. LOL :biggrin_25525:

mje Thanks this.
  5. knighton5

knighton5 Heavy Load Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Rose City
    Everybody has a bad day :biggrin_25518:, but Crete isnt a bad day everyday :yes2557: !!! Drive Safe

mje Thanks this.
  6. The competition between trucking and railroad is nothing new. And it has been a desire of many to set up intermodel and relay terminals so that a driver is never more than 500 miles from home. Would a change in that direction be bad? Well that would depend on if you approach the changes kicking and screaming about all the reason not to, or if you analyze the situation and figure out how to make it work for you. Life is made of change and unless we adapt to the changes we will be left behind disgruntled and withering on the vine. Do I think the changes will happen. Somewhat but overall, no, not in my next 15-20 yrs in this industry, assuming I can stay out here that long with the changing health requirements, but I am trying to adapt to succeed in the changes. Crete is still a good company to work for. They are a changing company, but if they didn't change with the changing times they would wither on the vine while trying to keep the disgruntled withering on the vine drivers, happy.

mje Thanks this.
  7. MrMustard

MrMustard Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio

I remember reading this story, and it was my understanding Wilkerson was doing a short run at the time of the accident. I don't work for Crete, so I don't know how they operate, but I will say this: The short runs in the most cases are the most tiring, in my opinion, because you spend a greater portion of your day at the docks waiting to get loaded or unloaded. When you pull up to the receiver at 7am, sit around until 10 am, then drive to the next shipper to pick up that load that delivers the next day at 6am 350 miles away, and you're stuck at the dock until 3pm, you are looking at a long day. Who wouldn't rather have a 1500 mile load that delivers 3 days from now? I know I would. Shorter hauls aren't the solution to fatigue. Not unless they do something to reduce dock times.

mje Thanks this.
  8. Cookie Munster

Cookie Munster Bobtail Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Yonkers,N.Y
    I have a freind that drives for Crete..

He says the miles have declined, but he's still able to usually get around 2,000-2,200 a week.

mje Thanks this.
  9. . . . It is my understanding the driver was on a dedicated account, usually these get you home more often but not always daily. He had just taken a 34, I presume at home because although he was legal on his logs he stayed up with friends and family and did not get the rest he needed. . . I agree the most tiring part of this job is waiting.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2009
    mje Thanks this.
  10. CHICKENMAN

CHICKENMAN Light Load Member

Oct 28, 2006
    Winston Salem NC
    Drivers are a 'dime-a-dozen

My boss told me this a while back when i was mad that qote. I gave him 25 cents and told him to hire 30 drivers hehe

Needless to say im still here. Owners say alot of mean stuff to thier drivers. I wander why us drivers put up with it

mje Thanks this.
  11. no one

no one Light Load Member

Jan 28, 2009
    I was hired on at Crete went to lincoln,NE ,And got handed the keys to a WORN out stripped down 400+ mi freightliner century ,So I returned the keys ,and called CON-WAY to get set up for orientation...I knew Crete ran nothing but Freightliner Century ,however I did not expect such old stripped equipment ... I got lucky at CON-WAY and got a new KW T-660 ,which is usually given to teams . Don't get me wrong I would'nt trade much in pay to drive a certain truck ,but for a couple pennies difference I could'nt help choose the offer with a truck that I did'nt need to hand crank my windows up/down on...lol

mje Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.