The Do's and Don'ts at Landstar

Discussion in 'Landstar' started by InternationalTrucker, Oct 27, 2013.

1. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    No. We pay OOIDA for $1,000,000 in liability. Our bobtail coverage is required by LS. You're half right. We used to have our own authority and kept our insurance. We also have a damage policy on the tractor. My husband lost part of a load in November. He wasn't hauling our trailer. We're paying LS a $1000 deductible. We're paying for damage to a leased trailer and tires on a car. Claims were filed on our bobtail insurance, nothing else. He was loaded, at the time.

Bobtail insurance pays out, even when one is loaded. It's the basic liability. We'll keep both policies and our other policy covers fixing the truck, as well as liability.

Sorry we learned the hard way, but you should learn about your insurance.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. truckfam

truckfam Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2009
    Frederick, OK
    Our bobtail insurance paid out and we had to pay LS the deductible. He was hauling a leased trailer, and a load. It's cheap liability insurance. We still have our big insurance that's comprehensive and a $1,000,000 liability. I've always wondered why we were required to carry a policy with LS, when we already had our own. We never got rid of our insurance, after we shelved our authority.

4. Lost Navigator

Lost Navigator Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2014
    Spring Lake, NC
    I worked for LS Inway prior to being deployed in 05 Have not been in a CMV since. Have plenty of MTV miles though in Iraq.
    I digress, anyway LS is a great company. All the advice already given is right on the money. Develope relationships with the agents and you won't go wrong.
    I pulled a stepdeck and was with them for 5 years. Would go back tomorrow if I could afford a truck. Alas I will either have to win the lottery or drive a company truck for Britton Transport's Flat/Step group until the truck fairy drops a Coranado or 379 in my driveway.
    Good luck.

5. brsdb3381

brsdb3381 Bobtail Member

Nov 22, 2012
    Waxahachie Tx
    Might not be right place but my question is a Lease Purchase from somewhere like Lone Mountain allowed at Land Star?

6. jldilley

jldilley Medium Load Member

Oct 13, 2013
    Indianapolis, In
    I think that'd be fine. As long as you bring a truck that you can lease on with Landstar, I think you're ok. I'd give them a call and find out.

7. vikedog

vikedog Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Valdosta, Ga
    What does LANDSTAR charge for a trailer purchase- van.

8. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Got no purchase for van. Just 65% using company van, if you buy your own you'll get 72%. Most guys just use a company van due to the drop & hook opportunities.

9. vikedog

vikedog Light Load Member

Oct 8, 2013
    Valdosta, Ga
    Ok thanks, I will be there shortly

10. Dewey120

Dewey120 Road Train Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Southern California
    Landstar has a new trailer purchase program through their LCAPP program. For a 2014 Great Dane dry van it is $28,500 and required to put $1400 down. I am currently looking for my own trailer but think I can find a good used one for $10K.

11. hawkjr

hawkjr Road Train Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Jesus!!! I hope someone got a sweet run or set up where they keep the same trailer all the time.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.