The "fallen flags" of the tanker sector...

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by homeskillet, Mar 18, 2018.

1. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    The mom & pop tanker place I started at is long gone, as is Matlack, Inc, my otr job.

And I know that Dana/Suttles, Trimac, KAG, etc, swallowed up several smaller outfits. But there's a few outfits that I used to see around all the time, that I haven't seen in years, and I'm curious what happened to them.

Manfredi Motor Transport- Used to see them mostly running chemicals out of ELF/Atochem out of Riverside, MI. Would occasionally meet up with them at certain receivers, too.

Central Transport of High Point, NC- The company name was written in white script on an inverted blue triangle, decaled to the tractor doors and the back of the trailer. Used to see them a lot loading corn syrup out of A.E. Staley in Baltimore, or sucrose out of Domino Sugar. They had a terminal on Bells Lane in Louisville, I-264 x3 IIRC, right down the street from Matlack.

Aero Transport- Truckload propane, mostly saw them in Michigan, but talked to their drivers and they said Aero bounced them all over. Had a terminal off I-94, somewhere up around Port Huron, MI.

Finally, a bonus local/regional carrier I just recalled...another Baltimore food grade hauler...

J. Rudy, or maybe J.R. Rudy, something like that. They drove white International 9400 sleeper conventionals. This was only a year or two after the new 9400s came out, so they looked pretty spiffy next to our worn out, 10-plus year old R model Macks. We used to see them every day, loading HFCS at ST Services on Frankfurst Avenue in Baltimore, then we'd see 'em again as we all lined up on the hill going to Pepsi Baltimore, or Coke Silver Spring.

Any info, drivers? Or feel free to mention a few tanks you miss seeing, and we can all raise a sample bottle of #2 sucrose, and drink to those gone before us....

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ncdriver1

ncdriver1 Road Train Member

Dec 3, 2012
    Superior Carriers bought them out some years ago, before my time. I know this because there are still a few drivers that started with them and will retire with Superior soon.

homeskillet Thanks this.
  4. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I’d imagine those R-models would be pretty popular nowadays.

Pup97, homeskillet and Grubby Thank this.
  5. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
  6. Grubby

Grubby Road Train Member

Aug 30, 2016
    Fostoria Ohio
    My Uncle Richard Hummel drove and retired from Matlack... Sure do miss seein them green R Models runnin around!

86mechanic and homeskillet Thank this.
  7. slim shady

slim shady Road Train Member

Sep 14, 2011
    Chicago, Il.
    Still see a few Matlack tanks out there

ChicagoJohn, homeskillet and Grubby Thank this.
  8. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    When I was a kid and we went to visit family in Virginia, the highway was littered with shiny Matlacks. What happened to them?

I did notice that there were a lot of smaller outfits picking up at a sweetener place we serviced on the railroad.

Grubby and homeskillet Thank this.
  9. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I know, right? Remember when the CH Macks came out, so many oufits dumped their R models on the used market, the Rs were basically "buy one, get one free"? Truck Paper had 'em for about $3500 apiece most months. Just didn't have the cash. I'd like one for a project truck.

Grubby and MACK E-6 Thank this.
  10. homeskillet

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Quality Carriers snapped them up, I think.

slim shady and Lonesome Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    ...Or for something that predates emissions and elogs. :D

Grubby and homeskillet Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.