The first U.S. layoffs from the coronavirus are here

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Mar 12, 2020.

1. Slingshot88

Slingshot88 Bobtail Member

Mar 23, 2017
    2 weeks since my original post. Bet I'm looking pretty prophetic now huh. Businesses have shut down, some permanently, grocery stores are emptying out, "stimulus" checks are now a pending reality, constitutional rights are being curtailed, the stock market has fallen off a cliff, the worldwide debt bubble popping (which was laughed at a mere 2 weeks ago) is now common knowledge, the Fed is now in money-printing mode to the tune of $125 billion PER DAY (for reference, the last QE round seen $85 billion per month, now they're doing $125 billion PER DAY), and they're gonna print the dollar into hyperinflation.

Usually I'm not the guy who likes to say this, but since I was disrespected earlier, I'll say it with glee: I TOLD YOU SO. How does it feel to be wrong? When will you learn to turn off the TV and start using your own mind? All these things are very clearly seen and can be predicted from a mile away, but NOT if you're watching the programming that comes from the tube.

Here, lemme lay a couple more predictions out so you folks can see how easy it is for me. I'm gonna tell you what's coming next. The stock market is going to experience what's known as a "dead cat bounce", where it appears to start rallying again (due to the Fed injecting hundreds of billions of dollars in a short time frame), yet businesses will remain closed for the foreseeable future, despite most governors saying that the shutdown ends April 1st. They're full of it. The shutdown will continue, more jobs will be lost, and despite Trump's claim that everything will be open by Easter at the latest, this will not happen. You're going to start seeing houses for sale more and more during the next few weeks as people begin to see what's going on and desire liquidity as their financial situation gets dire. The housing market is going to crash hard. Forget about 2008, this is gonna make that look like a kid's tea party. Speaking of kids, they're not going back to school for the remainder of the term. They're already on summer break, they just don't know it yet (boy would I have loved if this happened when I was a kid). Anyway, by mid to late April, or earlier, stock market reverses its "dead cat bounce" and begins to fall again, harder. A Dow at 10,000 is not out of the question, although I think 13-15,000 is more likely. The US dollar index rises as people worldwide rush into the dollar for liquidity. By end of April to beginning of May, Americans start going en masse to banks to withdraw their cash, and banks start turning people away (banks typically only have $100k or less physical cash on hand any given day, sometimes far less than this). Shortly after this, we start seeing riots and civil unrest. The Fed will respond with more stimulus checks and more money printing, and the msm and politicians will all the while be trying to keep Americans calm and placated. Silver and gold will make new historic highs as the fiat paper currency begins to inflate and then hyperinflate.

USA the way you knew it prior to March 2020, is over. Hope you all started preparing and thinking critically. And to those who poked fun at my original post on page 7 of this thread: you keep drinking the kool-aid and just continue believing that everything is fine and that all this trouble is related to the virus and not the worldwide debt bubble popping, and that everything will go back to normal in a month or two. :)

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I was on quarantine but I got the okay from the doctor on my test so I'm back to work.

A week passed like nothing, wouldn't mind another.

The 1% are doing what ever they feel like, the upper middle class are at home watching Netflix and waiting for the divorce attorney to reopen. (Hehheh) And looking into boarding schools or tropical islands.

But the working class hasn't gone anywhere.

Rideandrepair and Wasted Thyme Thank this.
  4. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Yes, everything is over as was previously known. The money is going to become worthless with all of this QE and money printing, hell they're not even printing it, just adding zeros on a computer data entry.

So, as society begins to deteriorate and the long overdue breakdown begins drivers need to be in a safe place where their preps are, not on the open and vulnerable road. I said it three weeks ago.

Of course, if you have nothing to loose, just keep on driving to "save the country". Meanwhile, people like Bill Ackman, a hedge fund manager, turned a 27 million dollar trade on the market tanking into over 2 billion profit. Search it online. Tell me again how capitalism is so great! The rich use every engineered crisis to enrich themselves. They need you in that truck!

x1Heavy, Rideandrepair and stacks Thank this.
  5. stacks

stacks Road Train Member

Oct 27, 2011
    Emerald Isle
    Money follows money right there is a family in California who own a lot of the water rights there profits have also shot up in the past couple of weeks .

6. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    What they did was issue new stock, essentially a new GM, and let the old one die off. Then gave the Government shares to back up the bailout. The UAW also got in on the action, I believe, along with taking over the pension fund. The Government sold the shares as planned after the price went up, they sold it in 3 different lots, each lot was at a higher share price. In the end the amount was short of the original amount loaned or given in lieu of shares. I thought it was 5 billion, but 5 or 11. Billion, whatever. GM quickly claimed they repaid the loan. Spent money on commercials, telling us so. Went on to make record profits.Chrysler got sold out, and is about to go under soon again. Ford borrowed and cut, and has yet to recover. Ford is the only responsible One of the three. Their reward has been lagging stock prices, only 1 rating above junk status. Due to a continued high debt load. Yet Ford is the only of the three, that still gives back to the Country, despite its woes. Chrysler did pay back the loan they received, easy since Fiat got the company for a song. They’ve been quietly trying to sell Chrysler for years, willing to spin off Jeep, or Ram, or ? Because they know that a recession can’t be survived. That’s why Chrysler is probably soon to be history. GM will probably buy Jeep. Who knows things change very quick in. the Car bussiness.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  7. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

Hyundai was sniffing around.
    Possibly Nissan/Renault but after the Ghosn caper last year they've gone quiet. Might be a civil war in that merger because I think Nissan wants out of the marriage.

8. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    There is a awful lot of people who survived Covid19 so far. I survived Spanish Flu in January already. So been there done that. The Covid is bad, in time that shall be defeated.

As far as the Government orders, Arkansas is not that bad off to be honest. There has been alot of changes very fast within a few weeks to where we are now. What was before this month is history. Finished. I can expect some form of permanent changes in the future from here on out.

The money? Well, watching in Congress as they pass a truly massive amount and steamrolled one rogue who dared to try and get it on record etc. The House was going to pass this thing and they were in a hurry. The voice vote was the fastest mechanism to get it done.

Again, it's a serious amount of money and borders on Fantasy. Military spending in the USA budget is close to a trillion annually. And here we just threw down something like 6 trillion to start off with impacts of up to tens of trillions. Pretty soon we are into real money. And for what?

I have stated before that in the Game of Monoploy the bank only has a certain amount of cash on hand issued by the factory. Once the game progresses to where there isnt any cash sufficient to pay boardwalk 2000 dollar rent or whatever we start running a ledger pad. The bank becomes empty. Meaningless. Oh put that on the tab another 2 thousand in rent pretty soon 5 more times around it's a cool 10,000 you owe the landlord of Boardwalk.

What do you do to avoid losing the game? You sell off the hotels on Illinois Ave. Until you have 10,000 or better then you are debt free. You might have only a little house on Illinois raking in a tiny income in a game turned into big time shark fest.

Maybe you sell the three properties off so your immediate debt is covered. But you still exist in the game where there will be debts again to pay again. Only this time in the future turn when you hit Boardwalk again and have to pay 2000 on what money? The game is over at that point. Thats why it's a game. A closed system to eliminate those until one winner becomes clear when they lean on a mountain of everything accumulated through means fair and foul.

If it was me in real life I would never visit Boardwalk, its too expensive. There is no point.

What happens if the landlord sitting on boardwalk and park place finds themselves in real life with a empty property unoccupied because no one made the decision to live there anymore? Its worthless.

And if there is debt from the land lord to the bank that holds title on the property, say a multi million dollar tower condo note? The very existance of the bank could be at risk.

And enter Congress with their imaginary trillions plural bail out. I would walk out into the American Southwest with a bucket of water. The wilted desert flower will crave that 5 gallon bucket of cool life giving water. But the entire desert would too. It is not enough water.

Now if I showed up wtih 10 tanker railcars of water.... (Say 500 trillion dollars for everyone in USA?) it will make it rain.

Sometimes one must wonder.

petrolK9 Thanks this.
  9. not4hire

not4hire Road Train Member

May 16, 2012
    Calgary
    You won't be hard to find. Your Fitbit (and hence Google) knows exactly where you are and where you have been every minute of every day.

Sleep tight. :D

Yes, a hedge fund manager hedged (imagine that!) his fund's investments and it offset losses in rest of the portfolio. You too could have benefited by either doing the same thing yourself (although I am guessing to a smaller degree since I am assuming you didn't have $27 million to bet with) or by participating in his funds.

BTW, he lost big on a $1 billion bet against Herbalife a few years ago.

thaistick Thanks this.
  10. VA CDL Holder

VA CDL Holder Medium Load Member

Jun 14, 2011
    Keep believing in the system and how fair it all is. You missed the point of my posts, you're not on the same page as I am and I don't think you ever will be. That's how you can justify an insider making big bets to the detriment of the the small time investor. Listen to his interview talking before the markets dropped. He made the bet and then said "hell is coming". Just maybe to cause a panic on Wall St. Go to Drudge or the Daily Mail and read up on it. Not to mention the 3 senators who sold their stocks before the markets dropped, gee you think they might have had some insider info that everyone else, the common man, is not privy to? If you think the system is fair you really are suffering from cognitive dissonance, as the system has never been fair for the the average Joe on the street.

As for my Fitbit knowing where I'm at, that has nothing to do with being in a truck, stranded somewhere as the virus takes you down. I'm talking about the truck is not where you want to be when you get the virus, are low on supplies and have no weapons to defend yourself against marauders when society breaks down. The truck is not a defendable position, you will have to go on the run if you want to live.

Everything is fine, nothing to see here and in your mind you probably believe that.

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.