The first U.S. layoffs from the coronavirus are here

Discussion in 'Other News' started by Chinatown, Mar 12, 2020.

1. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    The one thing the USA does not have is leave to take off from work. They either cannot afford to stop and get off the hourly treadmill for what pitiful wages at minimum or they simply are fired if they actually dared use some of the so called sick leave etc.

Congress wants to make it a law for workers to be paid like 3 weeks plus two and go home without fear of losing work etc.

The horse left the barn on that back in the 70's long ago. All that since is just lip service. When these workers want to get out and get back to work there will be no business or employer left to go back to. Its not worth it.

What bothers me more than anything is that truckers the drivers are on their own. I do not see a #### thing or any effs given for their well being. Might as well be fresh meat for slaughter and throw in another 50 from orientation when drivers drop dead a month from now going into infected places. or quit when miles dry up.

The USA is fixing to close up Italy style and it may stay closed for months.

We informed our Pastor this week that we attended the last service until next year minimum. if we survive this. Supposed to be 200 people in there to support everything. But last service had 8, tithes probably came out to about a couple hundred. Enough to pay the electric bill with some from the church reserve fund which is just enough to support the place for 12 months no more. They will need to close and sell the entire place off after that. So thats gone. A dead church walking already. Disinfecting? HA all that carpet and plush? Cannot be done.

One church back home is in need of 2600 a week in tithes to break even. Ours here is around 870 a week break even. usually we exceed that but as of last sunday? Zip. nothing. why? The people have nothing. They to use plain language blew their wads panic buying. Nothing more until next month for many.

If the doctor closes because too many are sick in his office then there is no medicine to get. Period. Im ok with that actually. But that does not mean that I should be happy about it. I have my own medicine in the top shelf of the cabinet if need be.

The good thing about it is that I will start to stack a hell of alot of money this year sitting home pecking on the computer. Maybe build a new machine to keep from getting bored here. Call it some sort of medicine on it's own. Then what? There is no point in driving anywhere because everythng will be closed. And the constant challenges by the military and police will be unwelcome. So the shops fixing the vehicles have fixed the vehicles now while we could. I plan on them closing already. You can almost see the business flow stop in some of these places already.

One of my creditors for medical bills told me I have a zero balance as of yesterday. poof. They do not expect economic gains from people going home from work and losing their jobs then end up at the hospital with nothing against 6000 dollars in test kit and basic initial scans for Covid19, 4000 for the kit and 2000 for the cat scan if necessary. A 15 mile ambulance trip is about 1000 dollars retail without insurance or membership. That works out to about 4.00 a mile in fees among other fees according to my last trip bill.

The VA has forted up. My ex the vet has one more appt there and thats it for a year The last one made her sick already again with coughing from the place full of coughing vets. Its fortunate I did not drive her as usual. I got a little bit off her already. So there is no point in going back all the way down there.

Whats left? Well there is military bases, those will roll on as will the state government. Everything else is closing around us already. So... we sit home and wait to die while being bored?

I don't think so.

dwells40 and 4wayflashers Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 4wayflashers

4wayflashers Heavy Load Member

Mar 14, 2014
    From AIDS to Y2K and every over hyped hurricane that missed, some skepticism was understandable.

Anyone aware of whats happening in Italy, and other parts of Europe, should realize that what happened in China is real.

This is a new virus. Not a new flu strain. Humans have zero resistance. It lives on hard surfaces for up to 9 days.

Healthy people under 60 fair better, but many are experiencing 8-9 days of agonizing pain and flu like symptoms. (uncontrollable coughing, extreme sore throat, body ache, and most importantly, dangerous high fever, and difficulty breathing.) 3-4 weeks before full "recovery".

50% of Americans have underlying conditions or are over 60.

Hospitals in many parts of the US are already overwhelmed. Doctors are working 20 hour shifts and are turning people away, without testing. We only have so many hospital beds/ventilators. Triage has begun.

Supply lines are already failing. 75% of US companies cannot get the supplies they need.

American men are weak and childlike. We have never faced true hardship and many react like children. Grown men are still standing in crowded places coughing, rubbing their faces and touching everything.

Men tasked with cleaning common surfaces are doing less cleaning than before for fear of contracting the virus.

Most of us will survive this and live to see the other side. We will all lose friends and loved ones in a horrible and painful way, in the coming months.

Take note of the 'it's just the flu' types and the men complaining about the NBA etc.. Cut all ties with those men immediately.

Individual men can be intelligent. As a society, American men are idiots.

God bless you all and God bless America.

Line of succession to POTUS:

Trump- 73
    Pence- 60
    Pelosi- 79
    Grassley- 86
    Pompeo- 56
    Mnuchin- 57
    Esper- 55

Dino soar, mjd4277, x1Heavy and 2 others Thank this.
  4. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Arkansas news are rather bad today.

Local stores are recieving whole truckloads daily and are being stripped, particularly meats and shelf stable foods like rice. Only because the herds realize the box stores are stripped. So they are behaving as locusts strip a farm in 30 minutes.

clausland and Kyle G. Thank this.
  5. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
  6. rachi

rachi Road Train Member

Feb 25, 2010
    SoCal
    Here in Cali you can't find any water or toliet paper, hand cleaner, etc at the stores.

7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    Same story in Wisconsin. I was doing Walmart dedicated loads out of Tomah and apparently one of the drivers making a delivery to one of the stores was STALKED by customers,apparently to see if he had any toilet paper in the trailer!!!
    Our headquarters in Mondovi issue the directive yesterday. Effective immediately, whenever drivers go to get their truck inspected in the safety Lane all drivers must remain in the truck. Under no circumstances, are they to leave the truck until the inspection is completed! And the windows are supposed to be rolled up as well. We can crack the window a little bit to talk to the technicians, but that’s it!

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  8. brsims

brsims Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2009
    Meadville, PA
    Burn it all down. Time for a nationwide rebuild anyway.

9. thaistick

thaistick Road Train Member

Dec 7, 2014
    OTR/Thailand
    And a day later we're over 145,000...

10. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    We are as of now at 144,078 cases worldwide, an increase of 14,249 in 24 hours.

In the same 24 hour period, there were also ~166,684 deaths around the world from causes other than the coronavirus.

Doealex, Dale thompson and dwells40 Thank this.
  11. Infosaur

Infosaur Road Train Member

I was watching the morning news and they're still talking about cruise ships and airlines. So I don't think they're looking at the big picture at all.

Already happened, but I don't have the story link.

Yeah, this. My wife wouldn't even let me home after being out most of the last three weeks because she takes care of her folks. I haven't seen my mother in person in the same time but I call her daily.

As far as being able to afford anything, I'm gonna tell most of my creditors to pound sand. Most of them are white collar people and are already shutting their operations down. So you're not coming to work but you expect me to work so I can cut you a check? Also the president of Bank Of America was on the news and has said they are honoring deferments already. So if you owe someone, call them up and tell them you need a deferment.

There's also going to be a lot of payments and subsidies coming down the line, so that might help.

Personally? Yes I got in a credit hole (I blame my wife, I told her it was coming, now we are where we are and we're digging out slowly. You can only say "I told you so," so many times before you wake up with a kitchen knife in your jugular.) it's eating up a lot of my income but under the circumstances? Yeah, I wasn't going to declare bankruptcy, or default, but I'm not gonna make 27% interest payments over EATING!

This whole "constantly evolving situation" thing though? It's hard. I'm still not sure I'm gonna go to work tomorrow. In a week there might be extra high demand for anyone with a CDL, a pulse and a temperature below 99.7 degrees to haul food and I certainly don't want to get sick then because I had to come in and do busy work now.

Doealex and Just passing by Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.