The Food Service Rant thread

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by LoneCowboy, Jun 20, 2015.

1. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    It’s all on your personal preference. Grocery side has teams. They’ll stick you with a senior driver and you’ll do a 18-24hr route. Both will unload a trailer. They have some local stuff. Grocery though is the flagship of McLane though. Grocery pays the most. Guys making well over 90-100k. Also since you have Foodservice skills you can get picked up by a senior guy if he likes how you work then your on a schedule making his money. They deliver to convenience stores.

Foodservice side is mostly solo delivering or with a helper in a daycab. We have guys making 100k+ on 4 locals. But I ain’t gonna lie that’s hard work. It’s not all local unless your terminal doesn’t go far. Mine does so I do some layovers and some locals or shuttle trailers. You can make good money still even not doing all local runs.

It’s all on preference if you can run team then grocery works if not then you might want to go to Foodservice side. Why I’m at Foodservice I can’t do team. My buddy is at grocery cause he can do team and likes having backup when off loading.

Chrislg1011 and speedyk Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    What I found odd about McLane is that transfer driver is a step-up seniority wise. DC to DC sounds simpler than finding all those places and squeezing in.

Their recruiter wanted to stick me on teams and like you I'm not team material.

Radman Thanks this.
  4. Radman

Radman Road Train Member

Apr 18, 2011
    There is a shuttle only position no unloading just meet and turn but it pays pretty low for me.

speedyk Thanks this.
  5. speedyk

speedyk Road Train Member

Apr 8, 2015
    I applied for it, recruiter got back and said it's only for experienced hands. :rolleyes:

In case it's helpful to someone, here's his description of the jobs I could apply for...

McLane Western (Longmont, CO and Colorado Springs, CO) does offer a sign on bonus of $7,500, which pays out half at 90 days and the other half at 9 months from hire.
    Longmont, CO Routes
    80% of our routes are 12-17 hours with dispatches at night
    20% of our routes are 17-36 hours with dispatches at night
    Colorado Springs, CO Routes
    100% of our routes are 12-18 hours with dispatches at night​

6. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    We bid on routes again at where I work, I bid on a team route (was doing a local solo route). A lot of guys were inquiring about it to me so apparently a few of us were interested in it

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    if you are in Colorado (and you must be) McLane in Longmont is McLane grocery, food service is out in Aurora)

Shamrock Foods (I-25/I-70) just expanded greatly, all lift gates.
    Mile Hi Foods (McD's, i believe exclusively), Vasquez and 270
    PFC (although I would consider them as the last choice) 88th and I76
    Domino's Havana and I70
    Papa John's (all teams)

a couple more that escape me at the moment.

Milkman719 and speedyk Thank this.
  8. duckdiver

duckdiver Road Train Member

Mar 28, 2012
    Surf city
    It's that time of year where it finally slowed down. Guess it's feast or famine even for us food service guys. While it's nice to finally get a break it sucks when youre only making 1400 a week when youre used to banging out 1800plus every week

Milkman719, Cardfan89 and Radman Thank this.
  9. Cardfan89

Cardfan89 Medium Load Member

Jun 19, 2016
    Missouri
    Same with us we are having lower seniority guys staying home because the routes are small but it's that time of year we got another 6 weeksish then it will be back gangbusters

Milkman719 Thanks this.
  10. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Looks like the closet plant is in Orlando. The route truck work doesn't look fun. I drive tractor trailer to smaller towns and unload into bins for the route trucks. Hope you find something that you enjoy.

11. Milkman719

Milkman719 Medium Load Member

May 29, 2013
    Colorado Springs
    Shamrock just moved into the old noble building looks smaller.
    couple other back breakers
    1.Coremark
    2.sysco
    3.us foods
    4. FSA (out of loveland)
    when a company pays such a huge sign on bonus you have to wonder why?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.