The freight shake

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Mr Belmar, Dec 8, 2018.

1. Mr Belmar

Mr Belmar Bobtail Member

Dec 8, 2018
    Like most freightliners they have a bad shimmy in the front end and looking at YouTube video I've found out that they have a way to correct some of this shaking there was a video and it show that if you buy a part by wabco call the air extension bar which lifts the rear end extension up atlease 3/8 of a inch it will stop shaking where do you buy this part? some would making it by welding a piece to extend it ..another guy show that he actually bought that part and it costs around 7. Dollars how true is this and where can I find this part.. thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    There’s a multitude of reasons that can cause a truck to “shake”. Too many to list here.

4. vinsanity0

vinsanity0 Light Load Member

Jun 26, 2016
    I drive a Cascadia and it has no shaking.

Dave_in_AZ, bzinger and Bean Jr. Thank this.
  5. danny23tx

danny23tx Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2016
    Austin,Tx
    Did my kingpins and 3 axle alignment plus balance , no shake .

6. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Don't worry, we will give this a fair shake.

7. Derailed

Derailed Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2008
    Upstate NY
    Never heard of most freightliners having a shimmy in the front end. My 01 has almost a million and still goes down the road smooth as can be. Are you running Chinese steer tires. They have a different concept of round over there. May also want to look into some centramatic balancers for the front axle.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  8. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Over the last 10 years, I have run an '06, (2) '07's & am currently in a 2015 since 2014. They have all had issues shaking & pulling. They can be fixed. I agree that a good front-end alignment shop can resolve the issue..... for 6 months or so. Six months later, new steer tires & another front-end alignment.
    Lather, rinse & repeat.
    Freightliner has had these front-end shaking & pulling issues for years. Some people say they never experience it. Some like myself experience it in every Freightliner they have ever driven.
    When I got this '15 Cascadia, I didn't have issues for a couple of years, but after about 2 years & 200,000 miles it started & has been an issue since.
    A good alignment shop can get this fixed for a few months but after a while, you're usually right back for another alignment & new steer tires. Problem is, we lease our truck from Ryder & they aren't too helpful with this. All they want to do is adjust the toe & put on new steers. Two weeks later when the bad frontend starts wearing the steers again, they just stick on new steers again.
    Just like Freightliner... lather, rinse & repeat.

Like you, I have read that.. this & that works, but I dont know that there is really any long term, solid fix to this. Freightliner just needs to really focus on their bad frontend design & get it right.

Dave_in_AZ and gentleroger Thank this.
  9. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    It would seem that if the first 200k miles everything is good, no problems, then things start to change, and problems start to appear, some part or component has worn out and is no longer working properly. Sounds like some service work is in order.

10. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    Now if we could get Freightliner to buy into that theory.....

x1Heavy and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I thought you had to pay extra for the “shaking option”?
    You ever seen a Freightliner driver have to sit in one of those massage recliners at T/A?
    I admit. Often see them walking into T/A vibrating.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.