The Fuel Hauler Thread

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by Cali kid, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Cali kid

Cali kid Road Train Member

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    Well at least most fuel haulers in Cali are paid by the hour, they wanna play games let them. But they cant complain when the rack gets backed up. (which for day shift it always is)
    I never liked GATX, felt like a death trap with all the pipes rattling when the pumps would kick on. Then you had the god awful meters that would input a button twice even though you only hit it once. Those were the days, now that I run cryo boy the facilities are top notch, and we dont have to use freaking porta potties.

harlycharly55 and MartinFromBC Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plant

plant Heavy Load Member

Sep 21, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    It's bad at night now too at the racks doing the low flow. After about 8pm you're looking at 2 hours for the arco racks. LAT is still good though, no low flow, and less traffic, I can get in and out in 20 minutes. But I would suspect LAT eventually switches to the low flow procedure.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  4. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!
    Bottom loaded in Ohio as well
    Many know the size of your compartment so you can not try to load more.

5. MartinFromBC

MartinFromBC Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2018
    Here the driver parks the truck at whatever island they were told to, they shut the truck off, hand the fuelers the load slip, and they go to the shack, for a bathroom break, shower, coffee, watch tv or whatever. When the truck is done being loaded, the paperwork is completed, the driver takes his/her copies, walks out to the truck, verifies it is correct, everything is closed up, and the ground strap is off, and then in the truck and drive away. Sometimes it could take up to a half hour of waiting for their turn to load. A tag with the product type and amount is hung on the hook beside each valve, so there is no confusion about what the product is and how much was loaded per hole. It is all very civilized, quick, and easy.

Rugerfan Thanks this.
  6. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    I hear from the old timers that's how it use to be around here in the golden days but not anymore. You are the driver, the operator, and mechanic hahaha.

7. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    You should see how long some of these compressed hydrogen trailers take to load on a bad night. These new fuel cell cars are eating it up big time.

plant Thanks this.
  8. silinus vers

silinus vers Light Load Member

Nov 9, 2015
    LOL, i'm in the same position, can i ask what type of OTR work you're doing? i saw an ad on indeed for Neier for OTR tanker. I haul crude now, and the money is good but i'm sick of traveling the same roads every day, and i'm tired of shift work. but I understand what you said about being comfy, and a rational part of me is saying I should just move back to phoenix to haul fuel again.
    I hauled fuel in phoenix but the company was having issues then my day driver wrecked my truck, so I came to haul crude, but living in a small town is really driving me more insane than living in the city ever did.
    Anyways, what type of BS do you mean about OTR work?

Woodys Thanks this.
  9. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    I’ve been to a top loaded fuel rack. Prepare to hold your breath. Even in California, hot asphalt oil is still top loaded. In Bakersfield, there is no vapor recovery system in place. They wonder why the air sucks so bad there. I’d have brown tar all over my hard hat after loaded that stuff. Wore a respirator and face shield too. Top loaded gas sucked the worst. Vapors practically burn your eyes out.

Cali kid Thanks this.
  10. Air Cooled

Air Cooled Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    Baltimore
    Porta potties are the best because you can read about how KAG and Williams drivers suck and what operator blew who lol

Woodys and Cali kid Thank this.
  11. Cali kid

Feb 15, 2011
    IE, CA
    That's funny back in my oil hauling days I've pulled gear/lube oils out of that same rack I believe. Has a small scale house and is on dirt, you have just a small cat walk that sits on top of the trailer? Alot of oils are still top loaded, hell I use to top load at the ports in LA and you could literally throw a stone to the water. Talk about don't drop the lance because that oil is gonna go right in the bay. But gas never did I have to pleasure thank goodness.

speedyk Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.