The high cost of fuel...time to unite on a shutdown and do something about it.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by codyschmidt, Aug 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    instead of talking about protesting high fuel prices, why not use your energy trying to get better fuel mileage, so you dont have to buy so much? How about you campany drivers shut your trucks off on 60 degree days when your're in the TS playing video games...How bout slowing down??? This aint rocket science. It seems everyone complaining about fuel prices are the ones idling their trucks for no reason, driving like a bat outta h###, or the ones hauling cheap freight. I have no sympathy for you

BigBadBill, mamamullins and Dice1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    I remember the strike and had already rode with my family a few times when on the road, we had quite a few trucks plus coal trucks.

We shut everything down, nothing moved and you are not telling tall tales about the cinder blocks and shooting.

4. Mommas_money_maker

Mommas_money_maker Road Train Member

Oct 2, 2011
    North Carolina
    If I have to explain "protest it all to you" then you need to get yourself educated on what is happening in this country. Its not just high fuel rates which wont be an issue until it goes to 5 a gal again and watch the economy go to crud AGAIN. So for the guys out there with the "you must haul for cheap rates" mentality, think again. Yeah we can charge more but it does have a breaking point and then you wont have loads to haul.

If we shut the country down for 3 days and not talking just truckers, I mean everyone in every industry. Then what, they fire everybody? We have to take back control instead of being the sheep that we are and just keep on keeping on. This is why the govt is out of control today as we take no action and keep on letting them do what they want.

aiwiron and mamamullins Thank this.
  5. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Here's a thought. How about nobody in the country vote - not giving the criminal R's & D's that thin veneer of legitimacy they gather from about 40% of the electorate who actually believes there's a real difference between the two corrupted, crony parties? Now that's a shutdown. That's a change we can hope for, right?

6. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    I would be willing to bet there are by far more good business people getting 5mpg than 9mpg. Just because you are getting 9mpg doesn't mean that you are any smarter than they are. Here is something for you to think about, if you are as smart as you think you are then you would be getting atleast 12mpg or more. It just gets really old hearing you criticize anyone not getting high mpg.

Mommas_money_maker Thanks this.
  7. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Time to understand business folks.

Fuel rates have never been an issue for me and never will. I know what I pay, set rates accordingly and do well.

The problem is not rates, shippers, brokers or carriers. The problem is faux O/O's with zero concept of business.

8. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    While that is a good idea lets wait until there is someone else in the whitehouse. I don't want the current dictator in chief to get a free pass to stay.

9. aiwiron

aiwiron Road Train Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Sunny Tampa Florida
    Thread is getting a bit political folks.

Admin and 123456 Thank this.
  10. Steve CCC

Steve CCC Light Load Member

Aug 18, 2012
    I have been watching this kind of stuff since I was just a pup....Farmers and Drivers are great people ..Salt of the earth....But they will NEVER Cooperate....They are always their own worst enemy....Everybody has to eat everyday....The Farmers produce every bite of food....And The drivers bring it and everything else that makes the economy run...

The Cities would run out of food in Three days not even accounting for panic buying....The run on the stores would empty them in one day or less....

I remember a time way back in the 50s....A lot more people farmed back then and most farmers milked cows...at least my Uncles did....Anyway the price of milk kept dropping and the farmers were losing money...Now you can't just stop milking and wait for the price of milk to go up....Cows have to be milked everyday...

Well the farmers ...including my Uncles went to the Grange meeting ...And it was Suggested ...Discussed...And Decided....That we would just dump milk until the price came back up to some price...I think it was 15 Cents....The price doesn't matter for the story....

Anyway my uncles and many others dumped milk for several days.....But the price never went up....It turned out that others were still selling their milk and supplying the market....

The guys who instigated the milk dump were still selling theirs.....When confronted by their neighbors who they had known all of their lives....The only said..."I can't stop selling milk....I have Expenses"...

The lesson took from this was this....These folks will NEVER Stick Together and Cooperate....Good People ...Hardworking...But they are what they are....Farmers and Drivers COULD have every bit as much clout as Bankers and The Oil Companies ......But They Never Will....

BigBadBill and Mommas_money_maker Thank this.
  11. BigBadBill

BigBadBill Bullishly Optimistic

Oct 2, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    The silly thing about all this is not that drivers can't earn a good living with everything the way it is. Our company has no particular influence on the market to make rates magically increase. But most of our drivers net better than $3k per week on 2,200 - 2,500 miles. An O/O that stops, takes the time to really understand business and the business they are in, has the ability to earn $80k. But drivers are their own worst enemy.

Granted, we have access to freight that an independent will be challenged to access without partnering with someone but before we got to the size that allowed for us to join and subscribe to various organizations and systems we still found this freight.

Time to put more energy on developing you business and less on how someone else is keeping you down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.