the jist of it

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by mudding in 18 wheeler lol, Jan 3, 2016.

1. bigkev1115

bigkev1115 Road Train Member

Oct 23, 2009
    Alexandria, AL
    He said his third one was when he got stuck in sand at a truck stop

w.h.o Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Chewy352

Chewy352 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2013
    Enid, OK
    I vote for western express. They were going to hire me with a roll over.

Chinatown Thanks this.
  4. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    There ya go...3 "preventables" by Swift standards. Loosely using the "reportable to DOT if a tow is required"...however, since it was not an "accident/crash" they should all be categorized as an incident at best. With this in mind, as another poster mentioned, none of these incidents would show up on any DMV report as an accident or even at all. So find a company that does not use the DAC/HireRight information system.

However...some personal introspection should be considered! Work ethic, how to plan, common sense in testing decisions during trying times, and perhaps a bit of humility instead of the "I don't give a rats patooty about anyone but myself!" attitude that has been projected in the op's posts so far.

For a driver position in Central Valley CA....try one of the wrap around ball cap companies....they don't care if a driver can drive by the rules and traditions of American trucking!

Mudguppy and Vilhiem Thank this.
  5. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    20151231_075804.jpg
    It seems that all three of your incidents were getting towed because of getting stuck in the mud or sand. I have a couple of questions for you:

1. Do you know how to engage the inter axle differential and why you need to do that in poor traction conditions?

2. Are you prepared with a shovel, kitty litter, 2x4's, etc. to get out of mud or sand?

I got stuck in the mud once when driving for Swift when turning around in a lot that I thought was frozen. Took me almost an hour, but the trick then was to throw chains under the tires after digging out trenches.

Now I drive to oil rigs. Mud is an every day fact of life. One thing you learn is do NOT come to a stop if you can at all help it, and if you do then try to stop in a situation where you are stopping with a little roll back so you have some running room in the rut to start powering forward.

This is a typical oil rig "yard" after heavy rains. This is by far NOT the worst mud I've navigated. If you want to live up to your forum handle, then get into trucking with some serious offroading.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Something we can agree on.

Hurst

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  7. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    NO....you didn't just put that in print! Yes you did........uh oh...the end is near!

Hurst Thanks this.
  8. mudding in 18 wheeler lol

mudding in 18 wheeler lol Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Central Valley CA
    thank you for your replies
    the problem is i got a copy of my DAC, u can request one free of charge and i didnt see anywhere in it where someone wrote that i have 3 preventables. but i guess it must be on there somewhere because when i applied to a trucking company they said "swift is reporting that you have 3 preventables" maybe its not on the DAC but when they do their previous employment history, and they ask swift about me then thats when swift will bring it up
    someone mentioned earlier that there is a time frame where companies can or wont disclose certain information. but i assume that im still within that time frame
    anyways i will (like i got anything else better to do) send in applications to all companies listed in this thread and i hope for the best

9. mudding in 18 wheeler lol

mudding in 18 wheeler lol Bobtail Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Central Valley CA
    nice picture
    i was all pumped to get down there with a shovel and kitty litter and do the deed to get the hell out of there but i didnt have a shovel and i didnt have kitty litter . . . .
    the first time i got stuck in the mud i missed my exit and gps was trying to get me to turn around. but i saw this guy had a huge yard so i was like, "that yard is big enough for me to make a u-turn i think i oughta give it a shot" well i did make the u-turn but the drive wheels just dug into the ground and i was like dangit
    second time i made a u-turn and as i was passing through a road (it was dark outside) and all of a sudden the truck was deep in mud, funny thing about that was when the tow truck came to pull me out he said "oh the city came through here and put down gravel and made the road drivable but then the locals said they tore it up so they could go mudding" and i had laugh but i was like dang. so the gps was correct (in that it sent me down a road that a truck could use i think it was listed as a county road), i was correct to make the u-turn but those locals. . .
    then sand lot truckstop where i got stuck i guess i could have found a shovel somewhere either at the truckstop or at a nearby walmart

Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    The absolute best skill a truck driver has is his own common sense. If you miss an exit, this is where you the driver have to make a decision based on,.. you guessed it,.. common sense.

I honestly in no way mean for this to come across as insulting as this obviously will. But the tone in which I am reading your post leads me to believe you are a young guy (Under 30,.. I could be wrong on that), a bit naive and over confident in your own abilities. Try to be a bit more grounded and slow yourself down.

If you applied with me the first thing I would do besides run your driving record is to call your previous employers. I dont need a DAC report to do it the old fashioned way. There is a saying that goes you dont bite the hand that feeds you. Quitting and leaving a company with out prior notice is worse than a slap in the face. Its insulting and shows lack of any restraint or respect to say the least. To me this speaks volumes in terms of a drivers character and how he would handle situations in which he needs to maintain his composure.

Not saying you wont find work. But until you can show a record of fortitude I dont think the better companies will be interested. Just my opinion here. By your own admission you are a job hopper. I would be fearful that you could quit on me for any whimsical reason.

This is how I have comprehended what you have posted here. Again,. I mean no direct insult,.. just trying to be as honest and forthcoming as I can in order that if this is not how you are or not how you want to be,.. you can do something to change it.

Hurst

11. tucker

tucker Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2008
    IN
    How many trucks do you have?

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.