The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I can only tell you that your parents love you very much. This is the message I am giving to my offspring....I am not to be followed.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stranger

stranger Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2006
    NC
    I personally think you should stay in school and get your degree. Trucking sux as you get older. There comes a time most people want to stay home and see their family, wife, kids, grandchildren, ect. Your parents get sick and you need to care for them, how do you do it on the road.

You never know what future trucking will look like, and pay like. There have been huge changes since I started in 1975, one big one is the pay. Back then I was making way more than the average person, now trucking pay is just average, or slightly above. Used to not have to stay out weeks at a time, no electronics watching every move you make either.

On the down side of pharmacy work, as my generation dies off in your lifetime, there will be less people needing meds, because the next generation is a smaller population.

4. rphdriver

rphdriver Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2018
    NYC
    So how does one cope with this?
    In other words, how do I knock the whole driving for a living thing out of my head?

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Get your cdl and go trucking on summer break.

6. Big_D409

Big_D409 Medium Load Member

Dec 1, 2012
    Robertsdale, AL 36567

I turned out plenty fine in this O/O game for a college drop out / flunked out. Go chase them dreams, cvs pharmacist at day, cvs trucker at night.

7. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Finish the degree and once that is all done and you can get a job as a pharmacist, take a couple months and go work for cr england or crst. That should make you never want to see a truck again.

8. rphdriver

rphdriver Light Load Member

Apr 6, 2018
    NYC
    Lol
    Probably should

9. RedForeman

RedForeman Momentum Conservationist

Jan 30, 2011
    These are the fallacies they teach you in public schools and reality tv. The truth is: if you want it bad enough, you'll do what it takes to have it. Right now all you've done is post a lot of reasons why both cases, pharmacy college or truck driving, are too hard. Nothing in life worth having or doing is easy. Be a problem solver, not a victim.

10. RStewart

RStewart Road Train Member

Aug 21, 2015
    Norman, OK
    You have to realize that unless you get some kind of local job OTR driving is a lifestyle not a job. If you're ok spending 285 - 300 days a year gone from home then OTR driving can be a good career. If my wife and dogs weren't out here with me I wouldn't be out here. Been there, done that and I'm not doing it anymore. I didn't marry her to only spend 60-100 days a year with her. We are more like professional RVers now.

11. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Of course! People without families are seldom happy. Truck driving OTR - home only a few days a month, most of the time is not good for marriage and kids uprsing. I don't even need any statistics to back it up, I can see it a lot around me.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.