The journey begins - purchased a truck.

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by blairandgretchen, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Compared to same time last year days away down 10%
    1099 from settelments 132% compared to last year

Oxbow and blairandgretchen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. tommymonza

tommymonza Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Killing me working for my employer with these rates so high ,even though they are easy to get along with and gave me nice equipment.

Hit them up for a raise after only 3 1/2 months on the job and they gave in.

8 1/2 months to go to get out on my own.
    Biggest setback is old pre EGR truck prices. I was going to buy a Classic in the fall and gut the bunk and deck it out with a shower and head and kitchennet during the winter and run through the motor and drive train in the Spring but prices for absolute junk has me leaning towards a new Glider instead.

Shoulda started trucking a year ago Too much time on the fence.

4. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I'll sell ya mine for thirty five. It ain't pristine but far from junk.

RERM, blairandgretchen and Tug Toy Thank this.
  5. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    Is it a Classic with a Detroit?

Didn't you rebuild your motor a few years back?

6. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    That was a columbia with a detroit. This is a cummins in a classic xl.

7. Czar_Zero

Czar_Zero Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2018
    Orebegone.
    I'm on a 2 year plan. Doing the ground work and laying the foundation to make the jump. Getting to the point where I"m just not wanting to work for anyone but myself. Have too many issues with not playing well with others as I get older.

8. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    What size bunk? 13 speed? What rpms you turning at 70 mph?

9. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    Its the 84. 70 is to fast for this old man. 1455 @ 65 mph. As soon as these tires wear down I'm putting low pro 22s on to get that up to 1510.

Rodneylh Thanks this.
  10. tommymonza

Sep 10, 2013
    S.W. Florida
    What is the measurement from the back of the drivers seat set at where you drive it to the back wall?

I m curious compared to my Western stars 52 inch bunk.

Really looking for a Detroit for the reliability and price for parts. The Cummins would be my second choice though.

11. spyder7723

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    I will double check tomorrow, i ain't putting my boots on to get the tape measure out of the side box. I took a lot of measurements befire when i drew up a plan to rebuild the inside into a mini big house it was much more than the 84 inches they say it is, but i don't remember the exact number.

Edit to add: an n14 is just as dependable as a series 60. But i must admit i miss my detroit. This n14 gets pretty good fuel mileage, but that detroit got ridiculously good when loaded light. And i had it built real strong. Maybe I'll fall in love with this cummins aftet i build it right, but as of this moment i want my detroit back. However a lot of that is being so familiar with everything on a detroit, knowing how to take it apart and put it back together while only referencing the manual for torque specs. Being my first cummins in almost 20 years, this engine looks and feels alien to me. Heck just running the overhead on this monstrosity has me confused. Why the hell do you need to preload the injectors before setting them?! Sure i can follow directions and do what it says... But i just don't feel comfortable with something when i don't understand the why. On a detroit its so simple, look at the cam shaft to make sure its off lobe, set the height tool in place and tighten or loosen the nut so the tool just barely glides over it like a feeler gauge.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.