The Journey Starts

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by whodoesthis, Oct 1, 2022.

1. whodoesthis

whodoesthis Bobtail Member

Oct 1, 2022
    Thank you for the positive wishes. I was retired for the past 4 years (took care of an elderly aunt until her passing at 96). She taught me a lot. This is something I’m not forced to financially (in the spirit of transparency, I don’t have any debt but lost most of my accumulated assets in an expensive divorce). At 69, I just feel I’ve got so much experience, knowledge, and education but mostly energy to do this. I will say it breaks my heart to here so many stories about health related issues due to driving a truck, yet nothing proactive is being done. Yes, we have regulations regarding EDL and hours driven (ironic emergency doctors work 20+ hours w/o regulatory prohibition) but why are there not small gyms in truck stops (think hotels) or healthy food mandates (think Chipotle)? Anyway, I’m taking it one step at a time, it will be a journey!

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    There are healthy options available if you look for them, even at the truck stops. Problem is it costs so much to eat healthy buying food on the road. The best solution if you can is meal prepping and bring all your food from home or restock from Walmart along the way. I allow myself one good meal out a week, and it's not roller dogs or fast food. Outside of that, I only eat what I bring with me. Just with that I've lost about 30lbs over my first year of trucking. I've recently started to make a point of walking at least a mile either at the beginning or end of my day. I got one of those smartwatches and it's actually been pretty motivating to get out of the truck and be active.

MartinFromBC Thanks this.
  4. Me Too

Me Too Bobtail Member

Sep 24, 2022
    Quakertown, PA
    I'm right there with you brother. I turned 58 last week and starting training with Veriha Monday. If you saw a bright glow in the eastern PA sky about 3 months back, the was not the Limerick nuclear power plant melting down, but me finally fully burning out after over 25 years as an engineer.

I got to say, this is the first time that I'm excited to go to work in a decade or more.

tscottme Thanks this.
  5. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Eating healthy is up to you, not mandates.

If your truck has a fridge and an inverter it is easy to eat healthy - if you plan your time correctly to allow yourself time to cook good meals.
    Even without the fridge and inverter, a 12V cooler and a couple 12V appliances will do just fine.

tscottme Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.